Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to the Minelab Safari. So far, the reviews and videos rate it well. What about you folks? I did read one negative thing: multi frequency machines are bad at finding gold. They were testing it with a 5gr, thin link gold chain. I know most units miss thin gold chins. However, the video implied that multi freq minelabs cant find any gold.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine for about a year now and absolutely love it. I havnt found gold yet but I know my buddy has with his.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to the Minelab Safari. So far, the reviews and videos rate it well. What about you folks? I did read one negative thing: multi frequency machines are bad at finding gold. They were testing it with a 5gr, thin link gold chain. I know most units miss thin gold chins. However, the video implied that multi freq minelabs cant find any gold.
Look in Beach and Shallow water and see how many Excal's, Etracs and CTX's "don't find gold" very well. Gold chains are an exception for any detector. But they are found occasionally.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dholland02: I want a unit that's lets me make fine adjustments to the settings. Preset modes are nice, but I rarely use them. Looks like the Safari gives users the same freedom. I have been using an F70, and love it. However, the Safari looks like I'll get better performance for around $1000.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch88: it sounded absurd, that's why I asked. I read lots of good things about the multiple frequency coils. I figured it would improve your ability to find gold. Regardless, it's not a done deal yet, but I'm in price check mode. Unless somebody tells me something horrible about this unit or brand...I'm going to buy it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who says multifreq detectors ( Excals, ETracs, Sovereigns ect ) don't find gold has never used one and known anyone who own one.... They find LOTS of gold.......

They are not designed to be nugget hunters so no they are not good finding tiny gold nuggets and flakes.

I have found gold objects weighing less than 1/2 gram with no problems through with mine..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to consider is coil size. Larger coils aren't as sensitive to tiny objects as smaller coils are. So if the claims you've been reading involve stock 11" coils.......::)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mine, they are as deep as the Etrac, but not backlit, and offer less target VID. Gold rings, pendants, etc are no problem. It is a heavy detector though, and my arm gets tired hunting areas where there are few targets with less stopping to dig. Of course I am kind of thin and a little old, I'm sure bigger guys don't feel the weight. I sometimes use a detector sling on long field hunts which reduces the fatigue. I like the smaller 8" coil for more trashy areas, and there are many good coils available for the FBS machines. Another consideration is that the Minelab Explorer series have the coil wire running inside the shaft, making it a pain to swap coils without having spare lower shafts for each extra coil, increasing the cost of having extra coils. There is also a learning curve, they are very chatty machines until you figure them out with practice, but I think all the better detectors take some learning. The multi-frequency does punch through mineralized soil better than many other machines, and overall I consider the Safari a great detector.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to consider is coil size. Larger coils aren't as sensitive to tiny objects as smaller coils are. So if the claims you've been reading involve stock 11" coils.......::)

I have found multiple gold targets weighing less than 1/2 gram using excal with 15" coils and the gold was buried not surface.....

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought about the lower shafts. I hear the cord is quite stiff and firmly coiled. Have you noticed any cord chafing at the entry point of the lower shaft? I don't notice any protective grommets. As for noise, my primary unit is a Fisher F70. The F70 is not a silent search machine! To use it properly, you have to accept some chatter. I've goften used to it, and regularly run her on the hot/noisy side, in delta pitch audio mode.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found multiple gold targets weighing less than 1/2 gram using excal with 15" coils and the gold was buried not surface......
Yes, but the Excal is BBS as opposed to E-trac/Explorer FBS, so your RCB amplification contributes to it's success on small gold.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love mine (stock, except occasionaly use a 6x8 SEF in tight places)and wouldn't consider trading it in for anything less than a CTX. As said, chains are hard for any machine, but the Safari will find round gold (like rings etc) just fine. Smaller tiny nuggets or gold flake, I'd go with a dedicated gold machine.

Oh, the Safari is an absolute Silver Hound too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but the Excal is BBS as opposed to E-trac/Explorer FBS, so your RCB amplification contributes to it's success on small gold.

I know, someone was told multifreq want see gold very well, was disputing that falsehood...:thumbup:

Etrac has no trouble on gold, ask Crack badger. ..

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.I know, someone was told multifreq want see gold very well, was disputing that falsehood...:thumbsup:

Etrac has no trouble on gold, ask Crack badger.
I agree. :occasion14: The claim that multi-freq machines won't see gold is ridiculous. Probably initiated by a jealous hater.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not good on gold

I agree. :occasion14: The claim that multi-freq machines won't see gold is ridiculous. Probably initiated by a jealous hater.

I think the real problem is people with multi frequency machines spend too much time running in disc mode, which really kills their chances of finding the gold. Run it wide open, use your brain to discriminate and you'll find it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the real problem is people with multi frequency machines spend too much time running in disc mode, which really kills their chances of finding the gold. Run it wide open, use your brain to discriminate and you'll find it.

I use NO descrimination at all, when you do your discriminating out gold, especially some white gold....

I have found gold rings with diamonds that sounded like pulltabs, not a low tone like most gold but rather a mid tone just like pull tabs.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought about the lower shafts. I hear the cord is quite stiff and firmly coiled. Have you noticed any cord chafing at the entry point of the lower shaft? I don't notice any protective grommets. As for noise, my primary unit is a Fisher F70. The F70 is not a silent search machine! To use it properly, you have to accept some chatter. I've goften used to it, and regularly run her on the hot/noisy side, in delta pitch audio mode.

The cord itself is not at all stiff, and there is no chafing problem where it enters the lower shaft. The tough part of getting it up the shaft is that there is a tightly coiled section that is a pain to feed up the shaft. This is done because Minelab likes the coil wire going straight up the shaft rather than being wrapped around it for less interference from the wire. The tightly coiled part of the wire is where it connects to the detector and must be pushed or pulled up through both upper and lower shafts. This design keeps just a little tension keeping the coil wire secure in the shafts. This is on the Safari, SE Pro, and the Etrac, and the CTX3030, and I have never heard of any problems with the coil wire and the fact that it is inside the shaft. There is no worry about snagging a coil wire in the bush, just a little length sticks out between the coil and the lower shaft. I actually have an extra upper and lower shaft set up on my two extra coils for the quickest easiest change possible. I think that if you're used to your F70's chatter the Safari will be easier for you to learn. One trick is to cut way back on the sensitivity in trashy areas like parks where the signals won't be much below six inches anyways. I still bang coins at seven inches in trashy areas with the sensitivity cut all the way back to 2/3-3/4, and the chatter really is lessened. Gotta swing slow with the Minelabs though, probably slower than with your F70. I feel that the multi-frequency Minelabs are great all around machines and they hunt well in mineralized soil and even the wet salt sand.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am familiar with the units you guys are talking about, however I've never used them. I've always understood that an all metal/0 discrimination is a preference setting. I don't mean to knit-pick the thread, but is 0 discrimination a preferred technique, or something specific to multi-frequency units.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunsil: Thank you for your detailed feedback. It's quite helpful! Your lower shaft suggestion makes a lot of sense. On a different note, being an F70 user, I am used to master volume control, and several user defined, audio feedback settings. The F70, I can coin shoot in delta pitch, or I can run all metal with 1,3 or 4 tones. I have been spoiled by the F70's audio modes. How does the Safari compare?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am familiar with the units you guys are talking about, however I've never used them. I've always understood that an all metal/0 discrimination is a preference setting. I don't mean to knit-pick the thread, but is 0 discrimination a preferred technique, or something specific to multi-frequency units.
Preferred technique. You hear everything, not risking something slipping past in a null, and you train your brain to do the necessary processing of the tones and/or displays. Audio first, ALWAYS!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread