excalibur coil change price

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
hi!

I live in Europe and my excalibur apparently needs a coil change. Whenever I start wading the detector becomes very unstable, giving a strong false single whenever I swing.

When the detector is dry there are no false signals, but I get iron signal everywhere whenever the detector is "on".

I think the coil might be leaking so it could be time to change it

here comes the question: how much would minelab Ireland charge for this procedure ? Its a 10" coil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's out of warrantee, you might also check with OBN here on Tnet. I don't know if he goes out of the country or not but he does repairs and mods to Excaliburs at reasonable rates. You might look into get a bigger coil like the 15" WOT, a remote pin point button, and maybe a headphone upgrade while you're at it.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
it would be too pricey to ship it to the US and back from Europe. Also the customs might not believe that it was sent for reparation and might want to charge a very high fee for the detector to be brought back into the country.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that will depend on where you are and the shipping costs to Ireland vs. USA. It might be that the price saved by having Joe do it will more than pay for the difference. It wouldn't hurt to get an estimate.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that will depend on where you are and the shipping costs to Ireland vs. USA. It might be that the price saved by having Joe do it will more than pay for the difference. It wouldn't hurt to get an estimate. I bought a new Coiltek 15" WOT coil a few months ago from Colonial Metal Detectors for $260 plus shipping. OBN charged around $60-70 to do the install. I didn't do any other mods.....just the coil. I doubt Minelab will install a stock coil for less than that and they won't even install an aftermarket coil for you. I think they'll only do stock repairs with genuine Minelab parts. Something to think about when you do your shopping and price comparisons.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a coil change and pinpoint/ headphone mod myself. It's not very difficult if you can solder and use a drill. Old Beechnut has vids on doing both on YouTube. I purchased the anti static mat from Amazon and already had the heat gun and soldering iron. Joe sells the pp/ GGA kit for a very reasonable price and it's easier than the coil change. Good luck,
Walt.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Guys, I closed shop February 1st, hunting season is coming here in my area so I want to be a pirate for awhile, least till next winter. Here is the vid on changing the coil, If you can solder it is possible. A little nerve racking the first few times but not real hard. Any advice I can give or guide you thur just PM me....I have many little short vids as tips, that I use myself to make things easier...
quick tip

coil change

Also working on quick change coil endcap, has to be tested and that I will be doing this summer...will post about the work so far...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Joe tells us in the video, using flux is the trick for soldering without transferring heat into the board.

123tje

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It cost me €220,00 ,contact Detect in Enschede ,they sent the excalibur to ireland ,you wil get a excalibur 2 coil
grt Henk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys, I closed shop February 1st, hunting season is coming here in my area so I want to be a pirate for awhile, least till next winter. Here is the vid on changing the coil, If you can solder it is possible. A little nerve racking the first few times but not real hard. Any advice I can give or guide you thur just PM me....I have many little short vids as tips, that I use myself to make things easier...
quick tip

coil change

Also working on quick change coil endcap, has to be tested and that I will be doing this summer...will post about the work so far...

Great videos OBN..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
It cost me €220,00 ,contact Detect in Enschede ,they sent the excalibur to ireland ,you wil get a excalibur 2 coil
grt Henk

In Belgium we have Christophe who does it all for us :)

sending it out on Monday, it needs to be ready for the season.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions