New to Minelab

Qlipphotic

Jan 19, 2014
San Pedro (Los Angeles)
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just got my $CTX 3030 a couple weeks ago now...upgraded from an ACE 250. Here's my question. What are the typical tones that you would want to dig on a Minelab? I've been digging only high tones (because I don't know bette) and have been getting great results for coins, but that's about it. Does silver and gold ring in differently?

Thanks guys, I am thankful that I have a place to go to to ask questions. I'm a noob, but at least i attempt to educate myself :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your questions fully would take way more space here than I would care to fill. In general, you need to decide what you're looking for in a particular area. If you're at the beach, I would run it wide open and only discriminate out iron, if that. If you're in a trashy park, it's a matter of what you can stand based on how trashy it is. I use a modified coin/jewelry pattern to eliminate most of the junk but still find gold rings. If the lower numbers are driving you crazy, try a 2 tone ferrous setting with a small coil and see if that will work in that area. If not, run a silver only program. You can decide whether to dig or not based on sound, depth, and the read-out you're getting on the screen. At the beach, just scoop everything. You'll find platinum rings down in the foil range up to big silver that might even overload on the high end. There is lots of different jewelry that will hit in between. Once you get a 100 hours under your belt, you'll feel a lot more comfortable with it. There are some books available with tips and settings for particular types of hunting. You might also check out some videos on youtube.

OP
OP
Qlipphotic

Qlipphotic

Jan 19, 2014
San Pedro (Los Angeles)
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To answer your questions fully would take way more space here than I would care to fill. In general, you need to decide what you're looking for in a particular area. If you're at the beach, I would run it wide open and only discriminate out iron, if that. If you're in a trashy park, it's a matter of what you can stand based on how trashy it is. I use a modified coin/jewelry pattern to eliminate most of the junk but still find gold rings. If the lower numbers are driving you crazy, try a 2 tone ferrous setting with a small coil and see if that will work in that area. If not, run a silver only program. You can decide whether to dig or not based on sound, depth, and the read-out you're getting on the screen. At the beach, just scoop everything. You'll find platinum rings down in the foil range up to big silver that might even overload on the high end. There is lots of different jewelry that will hit in between. Once you get a 100 hours under your belt, you'll feel a lot more comfortable with it. There are some books available with tips and settings for particular types of hunting. You might also check out some videos on youtube.

Thanks Cuda, that helps alot alot :). I usually just do the beaches. Once I get more familiar with my machine I'll go out and hunt the parks. Would it be better to use the 11" or the 6" coil at the beach? I've heard that it can go either way pretty much. I've taken the 17" out to the beach and I"m just not ready yet for that BIG of a coil.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the beach, its as big a coil as you can comfortably swing for the entire hunt imo.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree....big as you can swing and still detect small items. If it's too heavy, get a sling. Ground coverage is one of the more important things at the beach....especially this time of year. The 6" will work great around the fire rings. Put it in two tone ferrous and pluck out the goodies!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cuda, that helps alot alot :). I usually just do the beaches. Once I get more familiar with my machine I'll go out and hunt the parks. Would it be better to use the 11" or the 6" coil at the beach? I've heard that it can go either way pretty much. I've taken the 17" out to the beach and I"m just not ready yet for that BIG of a coil.

I use with the 15"x18" SEF Butterfly coil on my Sovereign GT, I also use a harness on all my detectors Excal, Sov GT, and ETrac...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go with 11" coil in Beach mode, pattern 2 (Open Screen) combined audio. This gives you iron grunts, like TTF on an Etrac and 4 bins of different pitch tones in desired target areas. Gold, nickels, and pulltabs will be mid tone. Clad and silver will be a higher tone. If you have a blank in threshold or a repeatable change in threshold pitch ( if running pitch hold) without a target response dig it to investigate. Usually once you get down several scoops, you can start getting a target response even if you have to stick coil down in the hole. All of the bin widths and tones are adjustable but not necessary unless you have trouble hearing certain frequencies. Good luck!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your having trouble using the large coils at the beach for coverage as all suggest, learn how to pinpoint off the tip or heel of the coil using the "Minelab Wiggle."

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locate target then slowly slide coil forward (heel) or backward (toe) off target till tone disappears, target will be just of the tip edge of coil.....You get no tone if coil isn't moving so you wiggle it ever so little.....

You know how to wiggle your finger or how jello wiggles, same process...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread