All Treasure Hunting

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered my ctx3030 today! I have missed my minelab since I sold my Etrac. I plan to keep my xp deus for the really trashy places but I can wait to get those deep coins. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you were not able to find deep coins with the Deus? What coil do you have on it?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too had an E-Trac for a while - it was a great machine and I regretted selling it even though

I also have a Deus

2 totally different machines but definitely a compliment to each other

I now have a CTX also - couldn't do without a FBS machine in the arsenal

If you liked the E-Trac -- you're going to love the CTX ;-)

A Deus and a CTX or E-Trac together are a deadly combo --- don't leave much (if anything) for others to find once you're done with a piece of ground!

OP
OP
D

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 & XP Deus with a Whites TRX and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you were not able to find deep coins with the Deus? What coil do you have on it?

Yes I found some but I dig a lot more trash too. It's a great machine don't get me wrong. I plan to keep it and use it in extreme trash. I have the stock 9 inch coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you love the CTX over the etrac, isn't the dept the same and don't that etracs hit silver harder.Now I here that there's a new etrac in the making, but I thought the CTX was a new etrac.I no the etrac cant go in water , is that enough to switch.So what I mean is if you hunt with the etrac, then go over with the CTX your going to find stuff the etrac missed.I no its faster, just looking for a honest opinion.I'm ordering a new detector next week and on the fence.Oh this is a minelab forum is it not?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX3030 is a different machine from the Etrac. It has FBSII, an improved version of FBS technology. It has a faster processor, GPS, wireless headphone adapter, multiple target ID and target trace pinpointing. Along with these features, it's waterproof and runs quiet in wet salt. Etracs don't necessarily hit silver harder, but they do have a silver tone that is different on the CTX3030. With the 6" coil, the CTX is killer in iron.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great reply,thanks.Now I don't mean to sound harsh, but a GPS, I can use a hand held and do the same plus use it for other things.Now you say multiple target,is that three or to.You can do the same with the etrac from sound also trace with pin point.don't do a lot at the ocean. So I would just be using it at parks stuff like that which they probably perform the same.When I call to order these are the questions I'm going to be asking , I am the consumer and I m really thinking about getting one just could save $$ with etrac

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you would need to detectors to do what the CTX does if you only have a etrac. It is also nice having a detector than can do a lot of things so you can be prepared for any situation . the CTX does a lot better in iron then the etrac cause you don't have to move it at a snails pace, dept would be the same but would out shine the etrac in iron.The multi target and trace gives you faster recovery and less guess work.I was thinking of getting the etrac plus another one, but if I got the CTX I wouldn't need another one. The only thing that worries me would be weight in the woods,you no up and down motion.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a little heavier than the E-Trac, but better balanced. I used to have a sore shoulder after 4 hours with the E-Trac, but I can hunt all day with the CTX.

The GPS has three functions - it shows you everywhere you walked in Google maps. It allows you to mark targets- all ID info/ depth shows on the map. It also allows you to plug in coordinates off a map , then it directs you to the exact spot.

The Target Trace analyzes multiple swings and can show iron trace from the target.

Wayne

OP
OP
D

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 & XP Deus with a Whites TRX and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had originally purchased an Etrac but like Wayne pointed out.. The thing is very heavy and the ctx is supposed to be balanced better.

Having the faster processor is also sometjjng that appeals. I like the GPS system and it's a plus but was not a deciding factor for me.

I am keeping my xp dues too... For a while anyway until I decide for sure. I will keep you updated but I think it's going to be a lot better than the Etrac.

Btw I almost killed my Etrac before I sold it. I caught it just about an inch before it it the water. If you are going anywhere near the water without the ctx then you are taking a gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idighistoryiniowa

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2012
Clive Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelabe Etrac with Sunray Probe & Excal II
Etrac and Excalibur II I think are perfect. I still out hunt friends with the ctx. I hear the same things they do and can identify targets just the same because I know what its telling me.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my take on the Etrac vs CTX debate.

To start, I'll focus on the advantages of the CTX vs the Etrac.

The CTX with its adjustable ground balance helps get just a bit better depth, which gets more .
The balance is WAY better like Wayne and others pointed out...
The target trace pinpoint is a wonderful feature that visually helps show two or more targets at the same time...
The CTX seems to do a bit better job of showing target IDs at depth...
The CTX's processor is much faster, helping it in iron patches..
And the obvious ones like the waterproof and GPS features

An advantage of the Etrac vs the CTX:
A much larger selection of coils, and at a much cheaper price.

Some of the age old rules still apply... Someone experienced with an Etrac will find more than the inexperienced guy with a CTX...

And finally either one is an excellent companion to the XP Deus, the combination of the two is quite the pair!

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
I recently heard on treasure hunting radio podcast that the CTX has had some leaking issues , I was going to trade in my explorer se pro but that has me worried

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shanemon, the CTX3030 is watertight as long as proper maintenance of the O ring is done. If the O ring isn't kept clean, sand can allow water to penetrate.

Of the ones we have sold, none have leaked.

Wayne

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion, if you have an E-Trac and like it the CTX isn't going to be a game changer. If you just want to have the latest thing, fine - but the E-Trac capability is just about equal to the CTX, and in some instances exceeds it slightly. The only places the CTX has a clear edge is being waterproof (for shallow water hunting and rain) and ergonomics. If you need the CTX try buying used and save the $$s. I wouldn't buy new - the cost differential just isn't there if you already use the E-Trac.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread