E Trac for prospecting?

baseballjeff

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first metal detector. I'd like one that has a pretty easy to learn, and quite honestly a really good one that I can use for coin hunting, relic hunting when I travel, and prospecting for gold along the river banks here in Alaska. Looking around I really like the looks of the Whites MXT All Pro, though I've been feeling a tugging to the E Trac. Looking at YouTube clips of it caught my attention, the sleek design, the appearance of it being easy to learn, and the cool sounds!

Anyone have additional feedback?

Thank you!

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I have a minelab ctx3030, I have never used an etrac. I used an minelab explorer se before that. Although I didn't start out with a minelab as my first detector, I tried various types and bought what my budget could afford at the time. One thing I can definitely say about the minelabs is that they are a beast, but with a huge learning curve. The ctx3030 is a turn on and go machine, but there is so much to learn. I am still learning more how to use it and I have owned it for 10 months now. Being that you are in Alaska, I think I would buy 2 machines one for metal detecting coins and relics ect. And one for just gold prospecting. Imo a minelab detector is a serious machine geared towards a seasoned pro. I would start out with the whites mxt pro. I also used a whites dfx, learn the machine and dig all targets til you learn the machine, then after you learn the machine dig all the signals. You don't want to miss out on any gold nuggets!! But I don't know what your budget is and I would start out with a decent detector that isn't too advanced. You will soon realize that not every thing you dig is good, there is alot of trash out there! Good luck to you may find nothing but treasure!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest that you take a closer look at the Xterra 705. With a coil change you can go from a coin shooter to a relic hunter to a prospecting machine, all with the same familiar platform.
And it weighs less than an MXT, uses half the batteries, etc...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest that you take a closer look at the Xterra 705. With a coil change you can go from a coin shooter to a relic hunter to a prospecting machine, all with the same familiar platform.

X2...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X3 if you want just one machine. If you have a good sized budget, the GPX series Minelabs are hard to beat for gold. They're not the best for coin hunting in a park however. Since this is your first machine, I think it might be better to keep it fairly simple and get the 705. You can always sell it an upgrade if you want to get serious about any or all aspects of detecting. You may find you like one type better than another.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd reconsider on the etrac if prospecting for gold is important, or buy 2 detectors.

the etrac is excellent for the other things you mention, but I do not think it has the frequencies
necessary to pick up raw gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread