Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put in several hours with my new Safari. It's pretty easy to use, my learning curve is progressing nicely. One question about threshold. On my other units, higher threshold usually ment better depth. I've been manually setting my threshold, in the 14-18 range...with headphones. I used it once without, and still never went above 18. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see any noticeable difference in depth. Am I correct in presuming, greater depth is not necessarily (as) dependent on higher threshold? Actually, the few times I turned threshold 20+, it seemed small targets were more difficult to hear.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to miss more, turn the threshold up. When it comes to threshold and depth on targets, less means more.
Threshold should be clearly yet minimally audible. First understand that target size, shape, mass, and proximity to the coil are all important factors. A silver Canadian 5¢ (fish scale) @ 4" might easily be interpreted by your machine as a silver dime @ 7" or a silver quarter @ 12".
Threshold works similarly to squelch on a radio receiver. The higher it's set, the stronger of a signal is required to "break" through it. So if your threshold is set higher, that fish scale @ 6" might not produce a return signal strong enough, nor would the dime @ 10" or the quarter @ 14".
Another analogy might be something like this. If you're in your living room with the TV on, and your wife is in the kitchen talking to you, you might have a hard time hearing her (not always a bad thing :laughing7: ). But if you turn the TV volume down, or if she came closer, you might easily hear her. The TV volume is like the threshold tone competing with your wife's voice the same as a distant or small target return signal competes with the threshold volume.
Make sense?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct you should be able to hear threshold, but should not be loud at all, I make mine like a small irritating mosquito near my ear.

loud will mask out the deep, faint targets..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great explanations guys

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes perfect sense. Actually, understanding it in the terms you expressed, puts the reasoning for some of the factory presets into better prospective. I was using the target volume setting like a master volume. If I understand you correctly, I should turn the target volume up, and set the threshold to the lowest, but audible setting. I should be able to hear smaller targets deeper.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, with this new prospective, I see a purchase on the horizon. The RPG headphones that came with the unit are comfortable, but allow a lot of external noise through. Looks like it's time for a better set.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, with this new prospective, I see a purchase on the horizon. The RPG headphones that came with the unit are comfortable, but allow a lot of external noise through. Looks like it's time for a better set.

Kinda like owning a $2500 sound system and pair of $100 speakers. You hear the music but your still missing a lot.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at the Grey Ghost, they seem nice. Killer B makes some stuff that seems comparable for a few dollars less. Both have similar features, both are 150ohms. We'll see...

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at Sun Ray Pro Gold phones too. They are usually available for about the same price ($125-135).

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info here. I appreciate the explanation as well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the new Grey Ghost Amphibians they are really good and comfortable too..

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the Grey Ghost and Sun Rays, have a shape that may fit me better. I'm 6'4, my head is freakishly large and I wear glasses. The taller ear cup on those brands, will probably fit me better. Was looking to stay in $100-$120 range, but Grey Ghost makes a set with a replaceable cord, for a bit more. I like that feature.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the AT Pro have some special/unique headphone jack? I googled and looked at about 5 links for the Grey Ghost Amphibians headphones and all seemed to say they were for the Garret AT Pro.

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro uses it's own unique jack. They sell an adapter that converts it to a regular headphone jack:

1626000_headphone_adapter.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread