Unstable Theshold in the Water - Sovereign

Pedroe

Greenie
Dec 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

For the first time I tried to prospect in the surf with my Sovereign GT.

Made a simple splash protection and went for the water yesterday. Immediately I notice a problem!

The theshold became very unstable. It was impossible to detect! As the water column momentously increases with the waves, it became even worst.

Can someone help me?:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you were shallow that will happen when shallow as wave rolls over coil giving you false signals, you either have to turn sensitivity down or move a little deeper if it bothers you, it will still respond when it sees target and it will sound good

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
P

Pedroe

Greenie
Dec 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you were shallow that will happen when shallow as wave rolls over coil giving you false signals, you either have to turn sensitivity down or move a little deeper if it bothers you, it will still respond when it sees target and it will sound good

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Thanks for the reply Treasure_Hunter,

I was knee deep (a bit more), with waves waist deep.

The sensitivity was in auto. Disc on.

Is that normal!?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to surf hunting! Yeah, sometimes waves will set off the machine. If that's all that's happening, you can learn to live with it. If it's falsing all the time, it might be a bad coil. I had a WOT go bad and do that on an Excalibur.

OP
OP
P

Pedroe

Greenie
Dec 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to surf hunting! Yeah, sometimes waves will set off the machine. If that's all that's happening, you can learn to live with it. If it's falsing all the time, it might be a bad coil. I had a WOT go bad and do that on an Excalibur.

Hello cudamark,

I have detected in shallow puddles along the wet sand. In that environment the theshold is stable.
Suppose that if the coil was defective it will be unstable even in stagnant water. Agree?

Not sure how to live with this "problem".

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never ever hunt in auto.... I adjust sensitivity till it is stable then bump it up just a hair....

Surf and auto combined was causing the issue as the surf kicks up a lot of sand that is moving with wave...

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pedroe

Greenie
Dec 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never ever hunt in auto.... I adjust sensitivity till it is stable then bump it up just a hair....

Surf and auto combined was causing the issue as the surf kicks up a lot of sand that is moving with wave...

Treasure_Hunter,

Thanks for the tip. I will reduce the sensitivity and check what happens.

When detecting in the wet/dry sand, normally put the sensitivity at 11 o'clock.

This time I tried in auto, since in the water i do not have easy access to the sensitivity button. The detector is in my bag pack!

What is the purpose of the auto, if by it self can not choose the correct sensitivity for each situation?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter,

Thanks for the tip. I will reduce the sensitivity and check what happens.

When detecting in the wet/dry sand, normally put the sensitivity at 11 o'clock.

This time I tried in auto, since in the water i do not have easy access to the sensitivity button. The detector is in my bag pack!

What is the purpose of the auto, if by it self can not choose the correct sensitivity for each situation?

I had a water proof Sov myself mounted in a ikelite case. I usually ran sense anywhere between 10-3 depending on beach conditions.

I still own a Sov I use in wet sand if surf is too rough, still same settings..

Every beach is different and same beach changes from one area to another. I just adjust it till stable then bump it a hair hotter..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello cudamark,

I have detected in shallow puddles along the wet sand. In that environment the theshold is stable.
Suppose that if the coil was defective it will be unstable even in stagnant water. Agree?

Not sure how to live with this "problem".
Yes, I agree on the coil situation. As for the "live with it", If it's just a momentary signal with each wave, you can anticipate that and ignore it. If it's a constant blast of sounds, you'll have to change the sensitivity to compensate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread