did everyone go threw this with the etrac

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only used it five times got some wheatys now I put a dime in at 7inch and a quarter at 7 inch in to separate holes. Going with the coins program manual sens couldn't hit them than when to auto sens to 22 still sparatic the drop it down to 19 hit the dime good but quarter was more like a flutter not a true signal and Id was off . I no I'm new and it takes time but my other unit can hit them good I love the etrac so far and it seems pretty easy to run just want to no if it is a faulty unit which would be my luck didn't mean to start a hole tread , but I'm sure I'll have other questions down the road and also plan on taking it out this week end any help would be great thanks.

Last edited:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Running the discrimination of the coin pattern can reduce depth, but that does sound weak for the e-trac. Try the same test with no discrimination (open Screen). Let us know how that works.

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did it open screen auto sens , only let's it get to 17 and also tried manual and nothing put a Nickel. on the ground and it hit it at I say11 11 did noise cancel to a few times still nothing . tried deep on trash off still nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And also the targets are not a strong seven so. Going to take it some where different today if I don't get better results I'm sending. It back for some other great machine. I have another machine that hits them that's a 1000 less.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just did it open screen auto sens , only let's it get to 17 and also tried manual and nothing put a Nickel. on the ground and it hit it at I say11 11 did noise cancel to a few times still nothing . tried deep on trash off still nothing.

Are you saying the TDI was 11-11, or the depth was 11"?

I know the e-trac does not air test well

Also, are you running your sensitivity at auto plus3 ?

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The target I'd was 11 11 for the nickel but it was just on the ground.I put a dime in one hole and quarter in another at dept of 7 inch or a little less the holes I dug where small it wasn't like I made a plug I did it quick I just figured it would hit them. I went out to day at a old house site in a field I used it in open screen it wasn't totally trashed out, but there was a lot of iron so what it seems that the etrac is a machine you have to check the I'd constantly and the cursor. Most of the I'd where in the 30 40 rang iron. This place was hammerd also.It also seems the etrac is a slow unit which you have to analysis everything.So I can see why you need places that have less targets like fields and when your in a trashy park mode it isn't going to get great dept, but it can find coins others missed, but I did figure it would get 7inch in coin mode, like I seen guys do on YouTube I no they have different programs , but they don't looks that much different to where it wouldn't hit at 7 inch.If anyone thinks there might be a issue with my unit please let me no . I'm going out with it tomorrow at a different field I will let you no results. Thanks

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is definetly a s l o w machine. Gotta let it think along the way!

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick question.
Did you check the ground for any signals using a completely open screen befor you buried the coins? Also what is the other machine you are using to hit the two coins?

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I did not check soil before I put coins in when I go over it it does have that deep flute hollow sound so that could be it . I want to be leave in the etrac , I been wanting one for to years . The reason I got it was cause of its I'd and decent dept. I took it out to a field to day and then to a park 12 12 seems to be a pull tab and also dug a ton of nails screw caps seem to fool the etrac .I got a clad quarter at11, 45 at about 4 inch and a button mixed in with a ton of iron also found to wheats.Had about eight hours on it today,my other unit is a atpro didn't mention that cause I didn't want it to be about that.I ran the etrac wide open all day kind of sucked stearing at the screen all day . I no you need time with the etrac just want to hit a coin at 7 inch . I can't distinguish sounds they all sound the same ,I got it in four tones I'm not trying to knock it just running out of time to send it back it might just not be for my style of detecting .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the area is not too trashy, put it in multi-tone conductive and use Andy Sabisch's coin program and settings. You should like the tone I.D, if you don't want to stare at the screen. If it's trashy, use 2 tone ferrous to eliminate the iron sounds as being "good". The non-ferrous will all sound the same so you will have to check the screen to see what's it's likely to be.

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I have to be honest I was talking out of anger, I just took my atpro out and it didn't hit the coins, now that still doesn't cure my problem , I did read the manual to the etrac and I understand what's its telling me it seems kind of easy , not to hard other then programing modes which it doesn't mention it to much I no that is important , but it doesn't go in to dept and I don't want to read a book to hit a coin at 7 inch not that it can't ..

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply I'll try that setting and I have Andy's coin program already, but not his settings. I didn't see your post before I added my last one so didn't mention reading a book in reply to your post. I no its a good book I just didn't think I had to read it to hit 7 inch.The etrac has a great reputation so its frustrating when you look forward to something .I don't mind looking at the screen, but there was a lot of iron .I mean it took me 45 min to move 30 feet.Plus as we all no its a struggle to read the screen.I'm going to a park tomorrow that isn't fished out I'm going to do the same test in clean ground and I will film my settings and the test .that way people an see what I'm doing wrong thanks again.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply I'll try that setting and I have Andy's coin program already, but not his settings. I didn't see your post before I added my last one so didn't mention reading a book in reply to your post. I no its a good book I just didn't think I had to read it to hit 7 inch.The etrac has a great reputation so its frustrating when you look forward to something .I don't mind looking at the screen, but there was a lot of iron .I mean it took me 45 min to move 30 feet.Plus as we all no its a struggle to read the screen.I'm going to a park tomorrow that isn't fished out I'm going to do the same test in clean ground and I will film my settings and the test .that way people an see what I'm doing wrong thanks again.
If your in a heavily iron infested site, 2Tone Ferrous is the best mode I found to pull good targets out of iron. Yes, you do have to check screen but if it's a repeatable high tone, even a repeatable low/high or high/low from different angles, dig it. Also manual sensitivity around 20-24 and select noise cancel manually between 2-4 seems to give best depth.

Last edited:

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you answered your own question when yu said there is a lot of iron in the ground. Depends on the location of the iron in relation to the quarter but if it is very close and any of it is above the quarter even off to the side you may never hit the quarter.
Get out of 4tone ferrous and like mentioned above go to TTF. Use a wideopen screen and go real slow from different directions and see if you can hit it. If there is iron to close or above it you may not hit it at all.
If that does not work try this.
In early test stages always make sure that the ground is clean of any targets when you bury the target item. To do that you need to check it with wide open disc. or all metal if you have a machine that has that option with sensitivity set to the highest level you can use.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freshly buried coins at 7" aren't going to read well with any machine. There just isn't any halo around them yet. Maybe in favorable ground they will.... like in dry sand at the beach but not in mineralized soil. Add a little water to the mix and see if that helps.

Chihene

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best strategies for iron infested sites using the Etrac is to use a small coil...2 two ferrous...and a fairly open screen...listen for the high tone and look at the numbers....with a little experience you'll be digging out those good targets that others couldn't find...

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys I did get it to hit the targets I no guys hit things at 8 so that's why I put it at 7 inch.Now I took it out all day and I mean all day just got back in it is a fine unit I found a 1817 merc a junk ring bunch of junk and of course clad. now I went to a old park and there was some woods off to the side with some big trees so I went to one found a coin spill then went to another found a coin spill so I was what's going on is it a ritual around here, then it dawned on me people must of pulled up a tree never thought of that before always figured people using them for shade .I gave the etrac a fear shake, but I can't be at one with it , its a great machine I no , got nothing bad to say it just isn't for me , it happens.I'm going to sell it or see what the dealer has to say.I listen to what everyone said and it help so thank you.Some guys like heavy girls some guys like light girls.not one is for everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it out again today found a silver dime had to be 7 inch I'd say .l planed to get the etrac and the t2 , but couldn't afford both so I got the more expensive one figuring I could save up for the t2 cause its cheaper,now I started MD pretty hard at the end of last year so I wanted something better for the woods and parks.So I didn't take in count that the parks are filled with sixty people watching there kids play baseball and then its soccer so I can get there at six in the. Morning but can only get in to hours, so I'm getting pushed to the woods where I don't want to be dragging the etrac a long scratching it up and banging it on stuff.That's the one thing I hate about the etrac its a pretty machine and the resale value is great so guys take care of it ,I'm not that guy I'm rough with things and if I'm digging a plug and it turns over I get aggravated. I should of got the CTX instead.So I'm going to get something cheaper for the woods and at the end of the season when the parks open up I'm going to get the CTX or maybe the etrac unless I here that the new etrac coming out. Either way I'm going to get another minelabe there great units.That's my feel issue with it and not for nothing it would be nice that when you noise cancel it you could down load a song to play while you wait would be a cool feature and also it would be nice if you could get special glasses that could plug in to the head phones that would show the id in a little window of the glasses.That would be assume . I'm really going to start doing my home work on the CTX and start saving it seems like it can take more abuse or it is a lighter color , not. a shine black that shows everything .well I'll be listening to all your great finds. Thanks again.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much do you want for it?

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it from from kellco and now they want to rip me off and not returning my calls should of got it from Bart, but I live on the east cost so figured I keep it here live and learn I paid 1450 for it comes with the sling and all the other stuff have receipt and the warranty 3yrs didn't send it in yet .I would like to get 1300 I don't mind losing 150 but 400 is crazy and so isn't Kelly co they suc never again. When I sell it or if I'm going some where els.worst comes to worst I'll keep it poor me getting stuck with the etrac lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread