X-Terra Number and Bottom Bar Scale .. How Do You Know What Number Is What?

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
X-Terra Number and Bottom Notch Scale .. How Do You Know What Number Is What?

So I am potentially looking at getting a new detector soon and this X-Terra 705 along with the Garrett AT Pro are currently at the top of my buy list.

I have been researching TONS and watching a bunch of videos on both.

I am curious other then notch discrimination what good is the bottom notch bar on the 705? You don't have a graph or legend like on the AT Pro that shows you where each of those notches fall into above the notches .... Iron / Nickels / Pulltabs / Penny / Dime / Quarter / Dollar / Etc. Symbols.

If I bought the X-Terra 705 I would have no clue what each number means and if I wanted to notch discriminate I have no legend below the notches that shows me what notch is what like the ATP.

I know you learn what is what after time but it seems kind if ridiculous that they didn't do some kind of graph or item stamp below the screen to kinda show you where each notch falls into and what kind of item it is potentially ... would make starting up and going WAY easier being new to this machine.

Is it just me or this something that they missed?

And that being said ... What is what? is their a manual that shows what each number is suppose to be??? I would have ZERO clue what I may be seeing based on the numerical # when first starting.

Any info you can provide on this and if it's just me that this is a huge oversight please let me know.

Here are a couple pics of what I am talking about! Area I am talking about is boxed in Red!

Minelab X-Terra 705 Screen

See how you see the notches at the bottom but you have No Clue what they mean or what item category they fall into with no legend below the notches to tell you ....

X-TERRA-705-Metal-Detector-Control-Box.jpg

Garrett AT Pro Screen

See how on their screen it has the same kind of notches but you have the legend above to tell you what in the world the notch falls into and makes it easier to learn what the numbers mean right???

at_pro_control_panel_illustration (1).jpg

Thanks So Much! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI. You can find used Etracs with warranty left on them for close to what a new 705 costs and it has a 2-D Smartfind screen, Quickmask (which is really Quick unmask in my mind) and all kinds of net tricks that make it amazing in iron infested sites. It also works well on saltwater beaches.

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question, each of the 28 bars represents a notch ranging from -8 to 48. The -8 to 0 portion are all ferrous metal IDs.

Here's a basic ID chart for U.S. coins.
updatedxterra-705tidchartapr20110001-Copy.jpg

Beyond that, you should read the blog article that Randy Horton wrote.
Notch Discrimination on the X-TERRA - Ever wonder what you're missing? Part 1
Notch Discrimination on the X-TERRA - Part 1 | Treasure Talk

Notch Discrimination on the X-TERRA - Ever wonder what you're missing? Part 2
Notch Discrimination on the X-TERRA - Part 2 | Treasure Talk

OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome information longhair ... So weird to me why this is not on the machine though.

Now I need to find out what numbers the junk normally falls into as well ..., is there a chart for that anywhere ???

FYI. You can find used Etracs with warranty left on them for close to what a new 705 costs and it has a 2-D Smartfind screen, Quickmask (which is really Quick unmask in my mind) and all kinds of net tricks that make it amazing in iron infested sites. It also works well on saltwater beaches.

If I could find a used E-trac with warranty left for $769.00 I would take it but they do not sell for much less even on eBay the 900-1000$ from what I have seen so far.

Plus the $679 price is for a 705 with a pro-find pinpointer, headphones, Lesche, Minelab bag, and much more to get me started since I'm new again to detecting and need all of that.

Alone that would be a few more on top of an almost $1k price fir an etrac putting me no less the maybe $1,200 give or take.

That's close to $500 more then the 705 ... And those are machines from what I can see with no warranty.

WAY out of my price range By Far!

But thanks though ... If I'm wrong somehow please let me know though cause if I could get an etrac detector alone for the $700 price of a 705 alone I would be All Over It !!!!!!!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No chart for junk.
I'm not at home now, but l will post a couple of useful links later when I get back.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The links to "Ever Wonder What You're Missing?" have about as much information on where various targets come in at across the range of detection as you'll find anywhere. Along with it, if you read Randy's e-book and his articles on coil selection you should have a pretty good idea of what will yield the desired results.

Free eBook - Understanding your X-TERRA | Treasure Talk

Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 1 | Treasure Talk

Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 2 | Treasure Talk

Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 3 | Treasure Talk

Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 4 | Treasure Talk

OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME INFO Longhair!!!

You have been a Massive help so far in learning more about the X-Terra 705.

I will take a look at all of this and see what I can see.

Hopefully I can find a nice legend to base numbers on and what they might be ... I got a sweet chart from you above on coins now I need to know what all the junk would be and other stuff as well.

Still though for the Life Of Me I cannot understand why they make a notch bar the bottom but no chart below it to tell you what each notch represents! Makes ZERO Sense ... big oversight in my opinion for a newcomer.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 is an amazing machine with many hunting options! I have a 505 and I can't think of a machine with better performance/features for the price. Be sure to download Digger's e-book on the ML site "Understanding your X-Terra". It's a great read and explains how to use the XT to it's fullest potential. HH Scott

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still though for the Life Of Me I cannot understand why they make a notch bar the bottom but no chart below it to tell you what each notch represents! Makes ZERO Sense ... big oversight in my opinion for a newcomer.
The 705 isn't marketed as an entry level machine. With practice you'll learn to pay more attention to the audio and less to the numbers. Numbers can vary to an extent depending on depth, target orientation, soil conditions, GB offset, etc.....so they are only more input available for you to contemplate.

OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this .... not a chart to show what the target is but this shows the tones and what sections you hear for how many tones you choose (1,2,3 or 28) .... nice little extra info to know about the bottom notch bar based on what areas fall into what sound category .....

Xterra Tone Break Chart.jpg

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome information longhair ... So weird to me why this is not on the machine though. Now I need to find out what numbers the junk normally falls into as well ..., is there a chart for that anywhere ??? If I could find a used E-trac with warranty left for $769.00 I would take it but they do not sell for much less even on eBay the 900-1000$ from what I have seen so far. Plus the $679 price is for a 705 with a pro-find pinpointer, headphones, Lesche, Minelab bag, and much more to get me started since I'm new again to detecting and need all of that. Alone that would be a few more on top of an almost $1k price fir an etrac putting me no less the maybe $1,200 give or take. That's close to $500 more then the 705 ... And those are machines from what I can see with no warranty. WAY out of my price range By Far! But thanks though ... If I'm wrong somehow please let me know though cause if I could get an etrac detector alone for the $700 price of a 705 alone I would be All Over It !!!!!!!
eBay is usually not the best place to get a good price, but there are many other places to shop for good used machines. I have seen several Etracs in last 6-8 months since the CTX craze took off, including mine, for less than $950 with headphones (standard) Minelab finds pouch, Andy's book and 1-2 years warranty. Leache diggers come up all the time for 1/2 price. I'm not knocking the 705 it is a great machine, just water to give you another option to think about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing for me though is the new detector is hitting the credit card ... No cash to buy used outright even eBay auctions for that matter.

Gotta take the plastic or I can't purchase unfortunately.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I very much understand you there. I thought you had already ordered the AT. Glad your looking around at other machines. Good luck and welcome back to the hobby!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this .... not a chart to show what the target is but this shows the tones and what sections you hear for how many tones you choose (1,2,3 or 28) .... nice little extra info to know about the bottom notch bar based on what areas fall into what sound category .....

View attachment 975787
I hunt in 28 tones pretty exclusively, but for a newbie to the 705 fewer tones can be easier to learn initially. Relic hunters will often run 2 tones, because they are going to dig everything above zero anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread