Ctx 3030 17" coil

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Thinking of upgrading to 17" coil for the ctx 3030, I see now you can get one free with purchase of ctx, guess I should of waited to get mine. What type of depth increase do you see with the 17" coil? I read 20% increase over stock coil. How is the 17" coil in water? Just need some Input on the coil, is it worth the $400 sticker price? I've watch a couple different videos on YouTube about it, seen one video where it was reading depths wrong? Anyone have that problem?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thinking of upgrading to 17" coil for the ctx 3030, I see now you can get one free with purchase of ctx, guess I should of waited to get mine. What type of depth increase do you see with the 17" coil? I read 20% increase over stock coil. How is the 17" coil in water? Just need some Input on the coil, is it worth the $400 sticker price? I've watch a couple different videos on YouTube about it, seen one video where it was reading depths wrong? Anyone have that problem?

I bought one in early February.

I generally run my CTX with discriminate which bites into the depth, and most of the coins I find with the stock coil is no more then 8". With the 17" coil I am finding coins in the 10-11" range with the same program and deeper in relic mode. I like the large coil for the sweep and added depth, but it is tough to get a good pinpoint with it, but I also don't have that much time using it. What surprises me is that I am finding dimes and even smaller targets with it at 10". I have heard people finding the small 3 cent pieces with theirs at depth. If you decided to swing the large coil be prepared to have a very tired arm, or get a good harness.

It seems to do alright on the readings, but it will still get thrown off like the stock coil when it come to very shallow targets.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that the 17" coil pinpoints very well and is sensitive to even small earrings sized targets at 6-10" in wet salty sand. I haven't used it that much because I hate wearing the harness. I have dug coins at 12-18" using Pitch Hold response with stock coil so I usually prefer using it and not wearing a harness if beach hunting. I have used the 17" in surf one time and it is a monster if there are strong currents. I am going to start using it more for beach detecting just for ground coverage and being able to stroll along looking for fresh drops.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
I find that the 17" coil pinpoints very well and is sensitive to even small earrings sized targets at 6-10" in wet salty sand. I haven't used it that much because I hate wearing the harness. I have dug coins at 12-18" using Pitch Hold response with stock coil so I usually prefer using it and not wearing a harness if beach hunting. I have used the 17" in surf one time and it is a monster if there are strong currents. I am going to start using it more for beach detecting just for ground coverage and being able to stroll along looking for fresh drops.

What type of ground are you finding coins at 12-18"? Sand? The deepest I have found a coin in dirt is probably 10-12" with stock coil, I must be doing something wrong lol

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of ground are you finding coins at 12-18"? Sand? The deepest I have found a coin in dirt is probably 10-12" with stock coil, I must be doing something wrong lol
Jermbo, yes I'm talking on a clean beach with wide open screen, manual sens between 24-26, manual noise cancel between 2-4, tones- whatever you prefer, I use combined and most importantly Pitch Hold response (standard on the Sovereign and Excal). With pitch hold on a very deep target, you may only get a change in threshold, if it's anything other than an iron growl and will repeat if you reset threshold with scoop or whatever, start digging. Usually after you get 6 or 8" down and sweep the hole you will get a target response, not just a change in threshold. From there if it looks promising just keep digging! I use the same technique with sovereign and Excal hunting in reverse disc and have dug several really deep targets on the beach.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Jermbo, yes I'm talking on a clean beach with wide open screen, manual sens between 24-26, manual noise cancel between 2-4, tones- whatever you prefer, I use combined and most importantly Pitch Hold response (standard on the Sovereign and Excal). With pitch hold on a very deep target, you may only get a change in threshold, if it's anything other than an iron growl and will repeat if you reset threshold with scoop or whatever, start digging. Usually after you get 6 or 8" down and sweep the hole you will get a target response, not just a change in threshold. From there if it looks promising just keep digging! I use the same technique with sovereign and Excal hunting in reverse disc and have dug several really deep targets on the beach.

Thanks for the tip! I went from whites to minelab so I'm still figuring machine out. My brother is thinking about updating his coil to the 17" I don't want him to find stuff I miss with stock coil. So I might buy one too so he doesn't get all the good stuff I miss lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread