Looking for 705 advice

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some help from Xtera 705 owners out there, I just came across a 705 at a pawn shop that they just took in. From the pics they sent me it looks new, standard coil, no dings, screen looks clean with no scratches, the base of the coil has a few scratches from use, they will sell it to me for $450 :-) I've owned a Sov before and several others, is there anything about the 705 I should be wary of, I'm going to go take a look at it (600 miles away, I'm on road trip) what do you all think?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Minelab tel:1-888-949-6522 with serial # to see if it's authentic and if there is warranty left in machine. Does it come with original box? It sounds like a good deal on a 705 especially if there is warranty left.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the best of my knowledge there haven't been any counterfeit Xterras.....yet.
I say, if it looks good and fires up when you get to see it in person, go for it.
They really do have a low return rate, meaning that they seldom have problems. And when a problem occurs, it's usually like most electronics.....in infancy.

Hint: When you go look at it, be sure to check the coil ears for fractures or breaks. It's a weak link, but it's also a bargaining tool. You don't really care about the stock coil anyway. Everyone gets another coil and virtually never puts the stock one back on. And if it's still under warranty (now transferrable), Minelab will replace it.

OP
OP
BDinutah

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch, thanks for the phone number, it doesn't have the original box & all of the items (can't tell what) are in a zip-loc bag.

Longhair, thanks for the tip on the ears, I'm going to take some fresh batteries when I go & do at least an air test. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
BDinutah

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the coil that comes with the machine, it's not the standard coil that come with the 705, could someone tell me what type it is, I can see the Minelab logo on it, but I didn't see this coil on the Minelab website, thanks again for any help.

Attachments

• image-3436492183.jpg
    image-3436492183.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 241
OP
OP
BDinutah

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shunkaha, thanks for the info, my wife & I are here in Cody on a short vacation, had to put her in the hospital for a ruptured appendix, I'm flying her home tomorrow, good thing I brought my detector with me to keep me company :-/

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she recovers quickly. If the rest of that machine is in good condition, I think I would offer them 400 for it and see what they say. I think you're still getting a good deal though at 450. That is if it's got any warranty left on it.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coil could be either the 6" MF concentric, or the HF DD. It should have either an "M" or an "H" on the sticker on the coil that would immediately identify it.
You can also use the machine to Id the coil. Just poweritup, press the chevron button to enter the menu, then press and hold the accept/reject (√/x) button to display the coil ID. If it displays dH then it's the HF DD, and if it displays cS the it is the MF concentric.

And the stock coil for a Gold Pack is a 5x10" HF DD, not the 6".

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
That coil could be either the 6" MF concentric, or the HF DD. It should have either an "M" or an "H" on the sticker on the coil that would immediately identify it.
You can also use the machine to Id the coil. Just poweritup, press the chevron button to enter the menu, then press and hold the accept/reject (√/x) button to display the coil ID. If it displays dH then it's the HF DD, and if it displays cS the it is the MF concentric.

And the stock coil for a Gold Pack is a 5x10" HF DD, not the 6".

My bad. It still looks like a 5x10'' DD coil to me though. And this site http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11792/KBA_02-1_Coil_Selection_Guide.pdf doesn't show a 6'' eliptical coil for the xterra. Maybe they used to make them and now they don't?????

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that's the X-Terra 705 gold pack, its a great deal - because that coil is way more useful than the stock concentric coil... and thus in my opinion worth a little more with it versus the concentric coil. Good luck!

OP
OP
BDinutah

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all again, I called the pawn shop for the serial #, but the wouldn't give it out, so I'll have to wait until I get there to see it in person, got my wife on the plane, now all I've got is 600 miles of blacktop & winter between me & the 705 :-)

OP
OP
BDinutah

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up the 705 today on my way back home, it's in real good shape, from the looks of it the owner didn't do much hunting with it, looking forward to taking it out & getting to know it, thanks again for all of your help.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BDinutah

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my 705 out this morning, after reading the owners manual several times, a lot of the TID's we're off, but after doing a total factory reset things started to smooth out.
Apparently the original owner used it for prospecting & very little else, after doing FR the only discrepancy is a silver dollar registers at 48 versus 46 & wouldn't be recognized until I accepted in all 4 detecting modes, easy fix, now I'm a happy camper, er detector!

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longhair...what kind of coil are you talking about to replace the stock coil on the x-terra 705...

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jhen999 - the most common coils found on these X-Terras is the 10.5", 7.5 kHz (medium frequency) coil, and the 6" 3 kHz "Digger" (low frequency) coil. Both work a lot better than the stock 9" concentric medium frequency coil on coins.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil that's best depends on a number of factors. Randy wrote a four part blog article that pretty well covers it, and it will help you make an informed decision on what you might want next.

Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 1
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 2
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 3
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 3 | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 4
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 4 | Treasure Talk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread