All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just haven't put your coil over any silver yet - that's all. Location is everything when hunting silver coins. If it can be easily detected - it has already been hit many times.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the E-Trac for many years - parks, schools, beaches ... almost no silver recovered. Not that the E-Trac couldn't do it, just wasn't that much silver coinage lying about to be recovered, even at old parks, schools, and beaches. I've found a few rings ... but again, not many rings to be found just randomly hunting about. Good research will make the difference. It is the key. Find old homes (go to the library) and get permission to hunt. Until the research is done you will just be getting clad and an occasional silver/ring, it won't be much, unless you live in a target rich town.

Once you start isolating the search to the highest probability areas (old inhabited dwellings built in the late 1800's, curb strips with history), then the silver will start to show up. Without researching for the best sites it will be more failure than success.

Jackalope

OP
OP
J

jtermz

May 6, 2014
west suburbs of chicago(lombard)
Detector(s) used
etrac nox600

garret pp
lesche diggers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should I hear a slight hum in my headphones if not what setting should I adjust
volume gain 30
threshold 24
trash high
deep on
sensitivity auto+3

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suburbs of Chicago I'm sure have been hammered for years. Research old sites to find the silver. Historicaerials. com may help in your research.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should I hear a slight hum in my headphones if not what setting should I adjust
volume gain 30
threshold 24
trash high
deep on
sensitivity auto+3

Deep OFF and fast OFF! All those do is chop up and distort the signal. If you are in heavy trash, SLOW DOWN the coil swing. If you are not hearing the threshold then you need to make some changes until you can. Primarily by using headphones if you aren't already.

If you are digging wheats then you will be digging silver if you have any under the coil.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes silver is hard to find. If your finding clad you will find the silver if it was there.

Keep working! It will come! Location is a HUGE key.

OP
OP
J

jtermz

May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
etrac nox600

garret pp
lesche diggers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what should I be hearing when you say if im not hearing threshold thanks
Deep OFF and fast OFF! All those do is chop up and distort the signal. If you are in heavy trash, SLOW DOWN the coil swing. If you are not hearing the threshold then you need to make some changes until you can. Primarily by using headphones if you aren't already.

If you are digging wheats then you will be digging silver if you have any under the coil.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what should I be hearing when you say if im not hearing threshold thanks
The threshold is a low background hum which you set the level of. It should be clearly audible, but just barely. The threshold tone should not be present when you are receiving an audio signal, or when you have the coil over a discriminated object.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jtermz

May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
etrac nox600

garret pp
lesche diggers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok so go as low as possible on threshold level but still hear it thankyou they are ripping up my street I know there is good stuff out on the parkways
The threshold is a low background hum which you set the level of. It should be clearly audible, but just barely. The threshold tone should only not be present when you are receiving an audio signal, or when you have the coil over a discriminated object.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are good coins under that road, there will be a lot of junk too. Since you are brand new to the Trac, here's some help. LOTS of iron will false. That means it gives positive coin-range signals where there aren't any. These are typically "peeps" and "squeeks" of good signals but occasionally sound full. The trick is to sweep back and forth many times. Listen to the sound and watch the point of the coil center when the detector sounds off. Most falses are sporadic and you only get the hit some passes and nulling the others. Other falses will false a LOT but when you watch the coil, the place on the ground where it sounds off will be shifting around by several inches.

Lastly, YOU WILL DIG TRASH. Don't let it discourage you, you will also dig lots of good coins if they are there.

One more... you will probably have many surface and near-surface targets. The coil will give a triple-beep on these. It is sounding off under each outer loop and the center.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jtermz

May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
etrac nox600

garret pp
lesche diggers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[ThankyouJason in Enid;3996925]If there are good coins under that road, there will be a lot of junk too. Since you are brand new to the Trac, here's some help. LOTS of iron will false. That means it gives positive coin-range signals where there aren't any. These are typically "peeps" and "squeeks" of good signals but occasionally sound full. The trick is to sweep back and forth many times. Listen to the sound and watch the point of the coil center when the detector sounds off. Most falses are sporadic and you only get the hit some passes and nulling the others. Other falses will false a LOT but when you watch the coil, the place on the ground where it sounds off will be shifting around by several inches.

Lastly, YOU WILL DIG TRASH. Don't let it discourage you, you will also dig lots of good coins if they are there.

One more... you will probably have many surface and near-surface targets. The coil will give a triple-beep on these. It is sounding off under each outer loop and the center.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
J

jtermz

May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
etrac nox600

garret pp
lesche diggers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The threshold is a low background hum which you set the level of. It should be clearly audible, but just barely. The threshold tone should not be present when you are receiving an audio signal, or when you have the coil over a discriminated object.
i took your advice and can hear the sounds much better went to park to dig everything and found a silver ring. Thank you

mobilius

Greenie
Jul 15, 2013
Another thing to do is watch where the target crosshairs on the screen hit. Iron will usually bounce around in the lower right quadrant where a good coin target will hit high right. Use quick mask and see where the crosshairs hit. You should dig more good targets that way and less iron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread