CTX 3030 - Does anyone have a solution to the headphone problem?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CTX and I also have a set of Grey Ghost Headphones.
It has been a while since Minelab introduced this machine, so I was wondering,
has anyone come up with a solution to fix the problem with the headphones?

If you are not aware, if you use Grey Ghost headphones in the CTX, it leaves the outside speaker on.
I was at the beach the other day and decided to use my headphones anyway because I was going to be near the waves and the water. When I
didnt find anything down there I went up to the dry sand. I was detecting and came on a coin.
With all these stupid new shows out, everybody knows what a detector is now, so when I found a coin,
the detector was making noise outside my headphones as well as inside. I looked up and literally 30 people were looking at me.
I waved at everyone, but I felt at the same time like it was none of their business what I had found.

Does anyone know of a place (beside radio shack where I have looked), that might have a 1/4 x 1/4 stereo adaptor?
Can Minelab supply one since they made a crappy design?

I don't want to wear junky headphones like the koss supplied, they are really hollow sounding. I like my Grey Ghosts.
Does anyone have a link or a solution where I could find something that will work??
Thanks!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use any headphones with wireless module and the external speaker will go off. Plugged directly into the machine you have to buy the Sunrays pro golds which every sponsor carries with 3 way switch or use the Koss headphones which sound pretty good IMO.

I'm waiting for the waterproof Amphibians from OBN, because the GG's I have suck real bad. You can barely hear anything with volume and threshold maxed out. http://www.sunraydetector.com/

Last edited:

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CTX and I also have a set of Grey Ghost Headphones.
It has been a while since Minelab introduced this machine, so I was wondering,
has anyone come up with a solution to fix the problem with the headphones?

If you are not aware, if you use Grey Ghost headphones in the CTX, it leaves the outside speaker on.
I was at the beach the other day and decided to use my headphones anyway because I was going to be near the waves and the water. When I
didnt find anything down there I went up to the dry sand. I was detecting and came on a coin.
With all these stupid new shows out, everybody knows what a detector is now, so when I found a coin,
the detector was making noise outside my headphones as well as inside. I looked up and literally 30 people were looking at me.
I waved at everyone, but I felt at the same time like it was none of their business what I had found.

Does anyone know of a place (beside radio shack where I have looked), that might have a 1/4 x 1/4 stereo adaptor?
Can Minelab supply one since they made a crappy design?

I don't want to wear junky headphones like the koss supplied, they are really hollow sounding. I like my Grey Ghosts.
Does anyone have a link or a solution where I could find something that will work??
Thanks!

Are these GG headphones the same as the Gray Ghost Underwater Headphones
for Minelab CTX that come with some package deals for the 3030 ?

It's gets confusing bein there are so many GG headphones.

There's also the Gray Ghost Amphibian Underwater Headphones
(Manufactured for exclusive use with Garrett AT Pro/Gold and Infinium metal detectors which can't be used with
the 3030 .

Can someone clear this up for me ?

Thanks

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GGA's are great headphones. I have a pair hardwired on my Excal. The GG Originals with waterproof CTX connector like the ones on eBay and the ones offered in the package deals are terrible. OBN is supposed to be doing some amphibians with the connector we need on the CTX next fall I hope. I may buy the connector and build a set myself since I can't hardly stand to use the regular GG' on the CTX.

Last edited:

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GGA's are great headphones. I have a pair hardwired on my Excal. The GG Originals with waterproof CTX connector like the ones on eBay and the ones offered in the package deals are terrible. OBN is supposed to be doing some amphibians with the connector we need on the CTX next fall I hope. I may buy the connector and build a set myself since I can't hardly stand to use the regular GG' on the CTX.

Hey Fletch

So the GG underwater headphones that come with the 3030 package deals ,still have the sound come out the speaker while in /under the water ?

That's crazy .

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search online for a mono to stereo adapter 1/4 " jack. I get them at Radio Shack, but there are a lot of electronic supply stores on the web.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

Let me see if I have this correct...

This mono to stereo adapter is only for cutting off the speaker when on land , but when in water it has to be a waterproof so the mono to stereo adapter isn't good for the water with the 3030?

Thanks

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fletch So the GG underwater headphones that come with the 3030 package deals ,still have the sound come out the speaker while in /under the water ? That's crazy .

No, they shut ext speaker off, but the sound level is really low coming from headphones.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me see if I have this correct...

This mono to stereo adapter is only for cutting off the speaker when on land , but when in water it has to be a waterproof so the mono to stereo adapter isn't good for the water with the 3030?

Thanks

The ctx has a headphone adapter that mounts to the waterproof connector. This adapter has the 1/4" headphone jack. NO, it is NOT water proof. If you want to use waterproof headphones then you have to use the ones made for it which have a screw-on connecter, not a 1/4" plug.

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ctx has a headphone adapter that mounts to the waterproof connector. This adapter has the 1/4" headphone jack. NO, it is NOT water proof. If you want to use waterproof headphones then you have to use the ones made for it which have a screw-on connecter, not a 1/4" plug.

I understand now..thanks for clearing things up.

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK..this is the route I want to take.

I will get the Garret GGA headphones for the 3030.

So what connector do I need to buy so the GGA work with the 3030 ?

Will it be water proof ?

Why don't you just cut off the waterproof connector from the crappy CTX headphones (being u already have them) and splice it onto the GGA . This way you have better headphones ,plus they are water proof.

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want them to supply a simple plug in straight adaptor. Why is it that the Koss work, but the Grey Ghost don't?
Not sure I understand how a mono to stereo would benefit me.
Would it be mono from the machine and stereo to my headphones?
I have not tried the wireless adaptor yet, so maybe this is the ticket.
There is a mod for the Pro Golds that I was sent in a PM, but I really don't want to screw around with one thing that already works, just to fix an issue that Minelab should provide a fix for.
Beta testing a product in the field is a really lousy way to sell detectors.
My guess is they knew this up front and that is why they provided the cheap Koss headphones.
Thanks

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I want to modify my headphones, but thanks anyway.
I was thinking if I had a crappy pair of Koss, I might cut the end off of that and modify a female adaptor plug onto this plug.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK..this is the route I want to take. I will get the Garret GGA headphones for the 3030. So what connector do I need to buy so the GGA work with the 3030 ? Will it be water proof ? Why don't you just cut off the waterproof connector from the crappy CTX headphones (being u already have them) and splice it onto the GGA . This way you have better headphones ,plus they are water proof.
Yes the GGA's are waterproof and sound way better than stock on my Excal. OBN's supposed to be working on a setup for the Excal with same connector as the CTX so you can use them on either machine. That would be ideal! I hate to cut the end off of these GG's since I paid over $100 for them.

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is wrong with a simple plug in adaptor??
I know why. They can't make any money on it.

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the GGA's are waterproof and sound way better than stock on my Excal. OBN's supposed to be working on a setup for the Excal with same connector as the CTX so you can use them on either machine. That would be ideal! I hate to cut the end off of these GG's since I paid over $100 for them.

I know OBN is working on it ,but they won't be ready till fall. Too long a wait for me. :(

I'm in NYC and beach hunt ( very few parks that we are allowed in and not even worth it to me. Plus 25ft away from trees is crazy..trees all over the parks ) so I only have Spring and Summer to hunt. Actually much shorter window..Memorial Day to Labor day.

So I need a fix now .

Don't want to spend big bucks on the 3030 if I have to wait till fall to get the connector, then I have to wait till Memorial Day 2015 to use my MD.

If you cut off the crap GG connector to use with the GGA you can always get a regular connector for the crap GG to use on land. This way you put them to use.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab headphone jack is wired differently than standard stereo headphones.. The inexpensive adaptor from Radio Shack is a $3 solution to a workaround. Or you can plug any headphones into the wireless adaptor and the external speaker will disconnect. Sunray Pro Golds makes a set that has an extra button for the CTX.

For waterproof headphones, the Minelab waterproof headphones are one option. You get better volume from the Gray Ghost Underwater for CTX headphones. But the Amphibians will be even louder when those become available.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab headphone jack is wired differently than standard stereo headphones.. The inexpensive adaptor from Radio Shack is a $3 solution to a workaround. Or you can plug any headphones into the wireless adaptor and the external speaker will disconnect. Sunray Pro Golds makes a set that has an extra button for the CTX.

For waterproof headphones, the Minelab waterproof headphones are one option. You get better volume from the Gray Ghost Underwater for CTX headphones. But the Amphibians will be even louder when those become available.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

Question..Can I just cut off the minelab GG underwater connector and splice it to the GG Amphibians ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread