The minelab 10 1/2" dd coil pin pointing

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the new 10 1/2" 7.5 kHz dd coil for the x-terra 705 today and went out in my test garden...first thing I noticed was its weight..the second thing was the depth ID was not quit right on somethings..not that it maters much on that...everything in my garden is 6" deep..quarters were right on, dimes to, nickels and pennys were reading 10"...but the thing I noticed the most was the pin pointing is going to take some getting use to...knowing were the coins are in the garden they were being centered in pin pointing at about where the label is on the front of the coil....I tried the wiggle back method to me and even then the signal still would full off at about where the label was at....I have heard that when you do that in multi tones the coins falls off at the edge of the coil..

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under the label is where it's supposed to be.
And did you happen to be attempting the wiggle back method in Pinpoint mode? That would explain why the signal fell off so quickly.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK..no wiggle back method in pinpoint mode....so Longhair in the AM mode with the wiggle back method, that's a way to tell if its trash or coin...if you get all the sounds right as the target gets to the edge of the coil, its trash, and if the sound is solid and drops off its a coin...

Last edited:

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can a guy look up this wiggle-back method?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not that big of a deal. Using a DD coil you keep the target centered with 2"-3" passes back and forth over it as you draw the coil towards you. Where the signal drops off should place the target straight down right at or just inside the edge of the coil.
DO NOT USE PINPOINT MODE. Use standard C/T mode, and pay particular attention to the audio, as it can help you to discern high scoring junk.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can a guy look up this wiggle-back method?

Check out Randy Horton's book"Understanding your X-Terra" on the Minelab site. It will explain it all there!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread