The X-terra coils for coin hunting

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...I know a lot of you guys on here have been at this for a long time...I have a question about the X-terra coils..I bought a 6" 18.75 kHz coil and have used it a few times and I can see where its a good coil for nugget hunting, Keep in mind I do most of my hunting in schools and parks and will do some beach and nugget hunting this summer.... the stock coil that came with the X-T seams to work pretty good for me in those places...this last week I picked up the 10 1/2" dd 7.5 kHz coil and have been using it the last few times I went out...I really don't see where it does any better than the stock coil and is heaver to use and the pin pointing is really iffy...my question is what kind of hunting is the 10 1/2" coil better suited for..just better depth and more coverage...relic hunting....

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the most honest in terms of ID, because of the nearly uniform width of the target bin segments from top to bottom of the detection scale. And it's separation make it far better able to sort through trash to find the goodies that are masked to a concentric.

Also, to offset the weight/balance of the 10.5" DD a little, try turning the coil around backward.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you can turning it backwards....I new I would learn something on here..I,ll give that a try...Thanks Longhair......one other thing....the Explorer SE Pro...good machine?...I can get one for $630 from a local guy?....good deal?...thanks

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it still has warranty left it's a great deal.
Keep in mind that it is now a discontinued machine, so the clock is ticking on the availability of replacement parts. It will likely be six or seven years, but eventually ........
It is a super machine! I find it to be a complimenting addition to the 705. Between the two, good targets on land don't have a chance.

If only Minelab would make an Xterra with Fe/Co. :love4:

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tip on turning that 10 1/2" coil around longhair, I tired it in the back yard and seams real nice....any tips on pin pointing with that coil...or is it one of those things where you just try and get as close as you can with what its telling you....I,ll have to call the guy back and see if that Explorer has any warranty left on it.....

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually get close enough by x-ing over it in pinpoint, even with 15" coils. Wiggle back works too, but either take a little practice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions