Minelab safari

sharps

Jun 14, 2014
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Safari, Garrett, MPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a minelab safari, I have found 1 penny with it (new). I need some help. When I hit a signal that sounds like a coin and I dig in that spot I can't find anything. It seems like the target moves on me. I went to an old home place and it sounded like there were targets all over the place but nothing, well, 2 old nails. I am doing my ground cancel every time. I dug one place at least 12 inches down, still sounded off but to no avail. Are these false signals that I am getting, or am I doing something wrong? Also isn't the center of the coil supposed to be right over the target? Help:BangHead:

chopperdog

May 18, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Minelab X-Terra 705 /Minelab 505 / XP Deus / Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Safari is not a beginners detector. ( I have owned one), You'd be much better off with a X-Terra 505 /or 705 if you want to stay with Minelab, or better yet, a Garrett At Pro. The Pro is very easy to learn, and very productive. Good Luck, HH -C-dog

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome sharps! First, I would do some practice pin pointing with surface targets. Lay out some common items and see where the sweet spot on the coil is. Next, head down to a sandy beach if you can, (playground sand box if you can't) and practice some more there. After you get a few hours under your belt, you'll be ready for turf.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I have a Safari, and have no problem with it. I'm not sure if you scored a handheld pinpointer in a bundle with the Safari purchase or not, but I can tell you it will come in extremely handy. The pinpoint function on the Safari is good but I can tell you from experience that some targets with a Minelab can be as small as a breadtie or a staple in the soil. They are very sensitive and strong and I have picked up on a thumb tack 4 1/2" down in the soil. So, I guess what I'm saying is if the Safari is telling you that there is a target, then there is. Also, remember the machine goes deep so occasionally the target may be deeper than you expect. Also, I have had targets hiding in the side of a dug hole and kept digging deeper only to find the target was to the side/wall of the hole the whole time. Hopefully this helps and good luck.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the area is trashy turn your sensitivity down to 11 or 12, it will get rid of a lot of the chatter. A good signal will be "repeatable", that is it will sound off from several directions, try turning 90 degrees and sweeping again. It should sound the same back and forth and from two directions. Make sure you don't ground cancel over a target, and if you're getting a signal at the end of your sweep it may be that you're tipping your coil up at the end of the sweep which needs to be corrected. These are VERY noisy (or chatty) machines, and it can take 100 hours of operating time to learn them, but they do hit deep in almost any soil conditions. I had a lot of trouble in trashy areas until I learned to drop the sensitivity way down, but I still hit pennies and dimes at 7-8" with the sense down at 11. Yes, the pinpoint is below the center of the coil, but you can also confirm it with the "DD wiggle". If you can find a copy of Andy Sabish's book (out of print) on the Safari it may help, they do come up on ebay or Amazon. I also got a Sunray 8" coil for more trashy areas since smaller coils give better target separation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sharps

Jun 14, 2014
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Safari, Garrett, MPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks for the tips guys. That really helps. I have hunted with Garrett's, bounty hunters, and an older compass years ago. So I am not a newbie, just haven't done it in a while, work yuck! My last Garrett was grand master hunter, top of the line about 25 years ago. Looking at retirement pretty close so wanted to get back in. Again thanks for the tips and if you think I need more, keep 'em coming.

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have a Safari, a point try to not at all go by the screen, GO STRICTLY BY THE SOUND. If you don't have ear phones by all means get a pair, they will greatly help you listen to tones. They block out all other noise distractions. Try for anything that comes up at 34-35-36-37-38 and 39. 39 will pretty much be a QUARTER. With mine 38 is always a dime, and it really sings with DIMES. Close to the top of the ground 38 will be Pennies. There will be a small tone between a penny and a dime, with time you will hear it. Try to practice with the two, on top of the ground and under. It will come it takes time to know your machine. Canadian money will be off one number. Nickels will be 14 solid or pull tab, one or the other, just dig all 14's one will be a nice NICKEL, you will SMILE, and have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions