Cache Hunting Colis???

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Hunting Coils???

Hello Friends,
I need your recommendation for cache hunting coils for Minelab Explorer II, SE, SE Pro, Etrac...

Which one is the most effective from the four coils below?..
SEF 15"X18"
EXCELERATOR EQ2 16.5"
WOT 15" old style
WOT 15" new spider style

Is there any difference between the mentioned above WOT coils?..
How does Excelerator EQ2 16.5" compare to the mentioned above coils?
Is the SEF the best?

Your opinion is very important for me!!

Last edited:

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the coils you have mentioned will help you find a cache (that's a fact) but hey maybe they will?
It all depends where you swing.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, you are right...
I mean bigger then coin targets... small caches buried up to 0.5-1 meter...
generally I need deeper then Minelab pro coil seeking coils...

Please recommend

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By default the 15x18 will give the most depth of the ones mentioned but either of the 15" WOT coils will too over stock coil. I would recommend buying a harness of some sort with any of these larger coils on the S shape design of the Etrac/ Exolorer. I have used the WOT on an Etrac for beach detecting without a harness (since I hate wearing one on the beach) and wore my arm out within an hour. For me there is nothing worse than being uncomfortable while detecting.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually I own EXCELERATOR EQ2 16.5"...
but if I sell it and buy one of the mentioned above coils... what kind of improvement can I expect?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any difference between the mentioned above WOT coils?..

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really, in terms of functionality. They just added the extra spokes for rigidity.

but the old style WOT 15" coil can be bought for about 100-150 USD and the new style one's price is about 300USD...
Do you mean this is just for the rigidness of the coil? and technology has not been upgraded?...

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but the old style WOT 15" coil can be bought for about 100-150 USD and the new style one's price is about 300USD...
Do you mean this is just for the rigidness of the coil? and technology has not been upgraded?...
Correct.
There were some folks that complained that the old ones "flexed" and subsequently caused falsing and/or erroneous signal returns.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I get WOT 15" coil what kind of improvement can I expect over EXCELERATOR EQ2 16.5"?
What is wrong with the EQ2 16.5 and what is good with WOT 15"?

p.s. I'm asking all this, because I have never tested wot coils to compare them...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I get WOT 15" coil what kind of improvement can I expect over EXCELERATOR EQ2 16.5"? What is wrong with the EQ2 16.5 and what is good with WOT 15"? p.s. I'm asking all this, because I have never tested wot coils to compare them...
Theres probably not a nickels worth of difference between the 2 coils on raw depth especially on a cache sized target. I know first hand all of the Coiltek coils are second to none in their build quality and performance. But that being said, I do find all of the larger coils they make like the WOT and 12x8 TreasureSeeker to be heavy because the ARE so well built.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres probably not a nickels worth of difference between the 2 coils on raw depth especially on a cache sized target. I know first hand all of the Coiltek coils are second to none in their build quality and performance. But that being said, I do find all of the larger coils they make like the WOT and 12x8 TreasureSeeker to be heavy because the ARE so well built.

I see that coiltek WOT is a very good coil, but have you tested side by side the mentioned coil and EQ2 similar size?
What can you say about iron falsing? and stability? Is the EQ2 so bad?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may try burying some small caches to test what you got. I hear some good stuff about the minelabs, and how you use your coil will make a difference too. IMHO a cache would be less than 2 foot. If your current coil can do that, you dont need another coil. But why do you not consider a two box, or some other device? Detectors are limited to the science behind them. I believe in buying coils for my detector instead of buying a new detector for a different hunt. I would learn to tweak what you got. There was a good post about weight, also you need to consider extra support for the shaft. I can tell you there is no feeling like putting on the big coil and going hunting. You sure stand out. I look forward to your follow up post what worked for you.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may try burying some small caches to test what you got. I hear some good stuff about the minelabs, and how you use your coil will make a difference too. IMHO a cache would be less than 2 foot. If your current coil can do that, you dont need another coil. But why do you not consider a two box, or some other device? Detectors are limited to the science behind them. I believe in buying coils for my detector instead of buying a new detector for a different hunt. I would learn to tweak what you got. There was a good post about weight, also you need to consider extra support for the shaft. I can tell you there is no feeling like putting on the big coil and going hunting. You sure stand out. I look forward to your follow up post what worked for you.

Yes, My potential target seems to be small caches buried 0.5m to 1.0m and I try to get the best of what I have (Minelab Explorer SE, EQ2 16.5", SEF 10"x12", Slimline 10", Coiltek Joe), but need to know when using EQ2 16.5" what I'm missing ? and currently nobody can tell me that for sure...
or actually do I miss anything using the mentioned coil comparing to WOT or SEF 15"x18" ?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might not miss anything compared to those two coils, but the WOT will holdup far longer due to superior build quality.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for all your comments :)
It seems I'll keep my EQ2 16.5" till the time it has problems, because currently I can't say anything bad about it, and when it breaks (if it breaks...) than I'll buy Coiltek WOT 15" spider style...

Good Luck to All!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread