What is the purpose of bigger coils ?

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting in a park today that I have been in with my x-terra 705 and always bought something back...this time I took the SE Pro with me that has a 12 x 10 coil on it and all it did was null out all the time and when I did get a good sound or iffy one, there was no way I could pin point with that coil in that environment, I guess there good for relic hunting and beach hunting...I am looking forward to getting that Sunray x-8 for that pro and see what it can do with that coil in the same park...I got a few good hits today that sounded good for deep coins 8 to 10 inchs but just could not get them pin pointed and I had 3 plugs out of the ground right next to each other....theres no way it could be me....:)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a assortment of coils ( Sunray 5 to the WOT 15 ) for my Excalibur because you just never know what it is going to be from one place to the next. Like you I have one spot, the bigger coils just slow you down and you miss targets, But take the little Sunray 5 in, and you can clean up.....now at the open beach, I use the 13 ULT, I can swing in behind other hunters, use there target lane, and dig what they did not see...Another I would not give up coils....That 10 x 12 coil is a great coil but in the right location...Good luck...

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a simple matter of the right tool for the job. I even have an 18" EQ² for my SE, and it has it's place. A trashy park isn't one of them, but in a farm field, where there hasn't been any foot traffic throwing trash down for the last 150 or so years is another matter.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that old saying... bigger is not always better... is the case in some of this metal detecting...

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longhair, do you have any favorite sitting for coins and jeweler hunting on your SE Pro.. other than factory pre set....I use the factory pre set...but I turn down the threshold and the sensitivity depending how much trash I am hunting in...I see a lot of people have a lot of different sittings they use and some never change them at all..no mater where there at.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally run in IM around 16-18, but beyond that I vary them dependent on the site and targets sought. I never run preset anything.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking at the manual for that SE..i guess if you wanted to you could sit that up and hunt nothing but gold rings or silver quarters , dimes , what ever you wanted to dig..i know a guy that's all he does...somedays it just silver..somedays gold rings....and he does pretty good with it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread