dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi From the people at Coiltek. They wont make any coils that clash with minelabs existing range of coils. So, if minelab have a mono and dd as an example coiltek can make a concentric coil in that size range. Its so they don't have the same coils, in the same market segments.

Minelab also changed the way the coil communicates in the new 705 etc. So the unauthorised NEL coils will no longer work on the new machines.

hope that helps

Kindest Regards
Phillip
Nel sells them for the new ones also. I know some get riled about this but its kind of like telling you what kind of tires you can or can not use on your own car. If minelab made the same sizes and made them waterproof there would be no need for the nel, but they don't so there is.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nel sells them for the new ones also. I know some get riled about this but its kind of like telling you what kind of tires you can or can not use on your own car. If minelab made the same sizes and made them waterproof there would be no need for the nel, but they don't so there is.
Not that you don't know, but for the benefit of those that don't.....

Minelab said:
As part of ongoing product improvements to our X-TERRA series of ADVENTURE detectors, Minelab has recently updated our VFLEX technology with improved coil-to-detector digital communications protocols. All genuine Minelab X-TERRA coils and authorised Coiltek X-TERRA coils are fully compatible with all X-TERRA detectors. Any other third party brand non-authorised coils that may function with older X-TERRA detectors may not work at all with the latest X-TERRA detectors. This will result in a CE error message appearing on the X-TERRA display, indicating that the coil is not communicating with the control box.
X-TERRA Coil Compatibility | Minelab News

When you buy an authorized coil, you don't have to press combinations of buttons on fire-up to force recognition, unlike inferior pirated technology coils.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its kind of like telling you what kind of tires you can or can not use on your own car.
Your analogy is seriously flawed. If your tires electronically communicated directly with your car's brain it might hold water, but....
I work too hard for my money to throw it away on pirated products that the manufacturer of my equipment warns me against. Couple that with the availability of superior quality components that are recommended by the manufacturer, and I know where I'll spend my hard earned.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not see a flaw. It is obviously a way for minelab to control the market. If they won't produce a coil that someone wants someone else will. Seems to be a lot of hupla over v-flex tech which I should say I like my 705 but see no magic over other detectors. The simple fix would be for minelab to fill in the gaps in what is currently on the market.

philski

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2014
Sheffield Tasmania
Detector(s) used
x terra 705, gpx5000, xt1700
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all coiltek x-terra coils and the entire treasure seeker range of coils built after 1st November 2013 are fully submersible. All minelab x terra's built after April 2012 wont communicate with a NEL coil. Its to cut down on piracy and make it as hard as possible for pirated machines/coils to not work with real equipment. And, to protect both of the brands images.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all coiltek x-terra coils and the entire treasure seeker range of coils built after 1st November 2013 are fully submersible. All minelab x terra's built after April 2012 wont communicate with a NEL coil. Its to cut down on piracy and make it as hard as possible for pirated machines/coils to not work with real equipment. And, to protect both of the brands images.
They are still advertised to work on all exterras.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried the NEL coils? Im considering a bigger coil for skimming and going deeper. Currently I have the 18.75 10x5 gold stock coil. Im in the middle of the city so lots of events take place with lots of people and covering ground quick is a must.
Im comparing the 18.75 to the NEL 7.5, different I know.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Covering ground quick" is not conducive to finding all that there is to find. And big coils are a detriment to a great extent in city parks, due to their inability to separate as well as a smaller coil, which results in targets missed because of masking.

That said, the best big coils w/o exception are the Coiltek 15" All Terrain coils.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not see a flaw. It is obviously a way for minelab to control the market. If they won't produce a coil that someone wants someone else will. Seems to be a lot of hupla over v-flex tech which I should say I like my 705 but see no magic over other detectors. The simple fix would be for minelab to fill in the gaps in what is currently on the market.

I think the tires example is an interesting analogy. What reason (other than controlling the market), would Minelab have to warn against using other manufacturers coils? If using the Nel coil would be detrimental to the xterra, I would be surprised that they would continue to sell them for the xt. I have never read one bad thing about the performance of Nel coils. I wonder why no other detector brands warn against using them? If someone cant get a small waterproof 7.5 khz DD coil from Minelab, they will buy one from someone else.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I talked to Minelab the only authorized coils for their products were Minelabs and Coiltec who use to make all of Minelabs coils before they started making them in house....

Minelabs choose to limit the after market coils that can be used on their products....

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I talked to Minelab the only authorized coils for their products were Minelabs and Coiltec who use to make all of Minelabs coils before they started making them in house....

Minelabs choose to limit the after market coils that can be used on their products....

Yes after April 2012, the Nel coils will no longer work on the X-Terra. They made sure to put a stop to it though, whereas other companies don't seem too worried about it. I could really care less about the Nel coils working, It would just be nice to see a 6" 7.5 DD waterproof coil from ML or Coiltek.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes after April 2012, the Nel coils will no longer work on the X-Terra. They made sure to put a stop to it though, whereas other companies don't seem too worried about it. I could really care less about the Nel coils working, It would just be nice to see a 6" 7.5 DD waterproof coil from ML or Coiltek.
I prefer the larger coils for the beaches but I am primarily a beach hunter although I do hunt land.

I have 2 excals, one has the SEF 12x15" Butterfly coil, the other has the 15 " WOT coil on it, both are hardwired into the controls and both have the Detectorpro Amphibian headphones and reverse discrimination mid with the switch on the handle......

My Sov GT has a WOT and a SEF 15x18" coil as well as stock 10", my ETRAC has the stock coil....

Last edited:

romanf

May 10, 2014
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705
Excalibur II 1000
Excalibur II 800
Garrett Recon AML-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Hunter coil on my 705 and it even picks up very small gold pieces. Am impressed with it.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would just be nice to see a 6" 7.5 DD waterproof coil from ML or Coiltek.
I'm pushing for one.
30/305 and 50 users would all like to see a small 7.5kHz DD coil. I'm inclined to believe that one is on the horizon, as it would not be redundant, and it would be a big enough seller.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pushing for one.
30/305 and 50 users would all like to see a small 7.5kHz DD coil. I'm inclined to believe that one is on the horizon, as it would not be redundant, and it would be a big enough seller.

That sounds like good news! I would buy it for sure.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend has a sharpshooter on a older one and it works great. I just called a supplier and he says the ones he has now work on all exterras even the new ones. Right now he has no sharpshooters left 4 to 6 weeks out if minelab has one by then I will buy from them but if they do not I will buy from nel.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Coiltek 6" 3kh coil won't do what you need?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Coiltek 6" 3kh coil won't do what you need?

I wanted the better overall ID accuracy of the 7.5 khz and I like how sensitive the it is to small gold. I have the 7.5 khz 10.5" DD but would like a smaller, waterproof coil. The 'digger' coil is overpriced IMO, the best price I got on my ML 6" 18.75 DD is $142. Coiltek charges nearly $60 more for the 3 khz. It just seems high for a 6" coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread