cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newest versions of the Coiltek 6" and 15" have been out for about 6 months now. You need something newer than that?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 6" Digger is a must have coil for trashy spots. Haven't used the 15" TreasureSeeker yet.

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The newest versions of the Coiltek 6" and 15" have been out for about 6 months now. You need something newer than that?

An 8" to 10" waterproof round widescan coil would be great don't you think? For widescans you have to go from 6" to 15" to get one that's waterproof. 90% of my hunting is done next to the ocean, bay, stream or lake and wading in has a lot of benefits, even only a foot or two where mommies like to take there kiddies:occasion14:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first Coiltek Xterra coil was the 15" MF (7.5kHz) All Terrain, and it came out in July 2011. Then they introduced the 6" Digger LF (3kHz) and the 15" LF & HF (18.75kHz) All Terrain coils November 2012. AFAIK, there are no new coils in the current pipeline for the Xterra, but there is an effort to change that.
In the mean time, Coiltek has focused on getting the new coils out for the CTX, as well as their new TreasureSeeker series FBS coils. Now that those have been released, keep your ear to the ground, as there may be some new rumblings in the not too distant future.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree an 8" LF Treasuseeker would be an awesome coil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the stock 9" and 5 X 10", three different frequency 6" coils, a 10" coil, and three different 15" coils to choose from. What would an 8" Treasure Seeker coil give you that these others won't?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the stock 9" and 5 X 10", three different frequency 6" coils, a 10" coil, and three different 15" coils to choose from. What would an 8" Treasure Seeker coil give you that these others won't?
Give us a waterproof DD coil that's not big as a garbage can lid or small as a hockey puck.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give us a waterproof DD coil that's not big as a garbage can lid or small as a hockey puck.
FWIW, between the garbage can lid and the hockey puck I really don't personally need anything else.....except at the beach, where I use a different garbage can lid.:laughing7: Even with the 15" on it still isn't up to FBS weight.

Besides, when I actually get into the water I'm using a 10" concentric on a machine that can take more than a dunking. My Xterra and Explorer coils never see anything more than ankle deep, because I won't risk the control unit.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's wrong with the 5 X 10?

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
FWIW, between the garbage can lid and the hockey puck I really don't personally need anything else.....except at the beach, where I use a different garbage can lid.:laughing7: Even with the 15" on it still isn't up to FBS weight.

Besides, when I actually get into the water I'm using a 10" concentric on a machine that can take more than a dunking. My Xterra and Explorer coils never see anything more than ankle deep, because I won't risk the control unit.

Even ankle deep the hockey puck and garbage can lid are quite a gap. Everyone hunts different situations, so a mid sized waterproof coil might not interest some.
I appreciate all your input Longhair, you and Randy sure know the Xterra well.
I decided to sell mine but would consider getting another down the road if more coil options were available that suited my hunting needs. The 705 is a great detector that minelab finally got the weight right on, wish they could do that with another model.
I did consider siliconing under the flex connector on the 10.5 med freq DD coil to waterproof it(that's where the water comes in, know that from older explorer/sov coils) but using that coil just makes the detector front heavy and loses its balance. Why coils are still made without center mounts is just one of the things I scratch my head at, and not just minelab mind you. The coil is such a big part of the machines balance/feel.
Thanks again and good hunting:occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. I put waterproof in the post from the beginning but cudas just not getting that part.
My bad. I was misinformed from one source that claims it's waterproof. According to Minelab, it just water resistant. I find it hard to believe that anyone would make a coil that is not waterproof these days. Unless you do, moisture is going to get inside eventually.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
My bad. I was misinformed from one source that claims it's waterproof. According to Minelab, it just water resistant. I find it hard to believe that anyone would make a coil that is not waterproof these days. Unless you do, moisture is going to get inside eventually.

I agree, I don't get it either unless its a weight savings and even then for me I would still rather have waterproof.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that the Xterra coils were the first SmartCoil technology coils, and that having a chip in the coil presents a bit of a twist previously not encountered. Simple wire windings in an epoxy filled plastic case is easy, but add a chip and the game changes. The stock concentric coil was easiest to make waterproof, but Minelab only makes one waterproof Xterra DD coil.
As for the balance....a lot of folks turn them around to improve that aspect.

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
I thought there were chips in all the Sov and Explorer coils? I know I saw a pic one time of someone showing a chip or small board that is in those coils.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a distribution board for the windings. No chip.

0.jpg

philski

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2014
Sheffield Tasmania
Detector(s) used
x terra 705, gpx5000, xt1700
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi From the people at Coiltek. They wont make any coils that clash with minelabs existing range of coils. So, if minelab have a mono and dd as an example coiltek can make a concentric coil in that size range. Its so they don't have the same coils, in the same market segments.

Minelab also changed the way the coil communicates in the new 705 etc. So the unauthorised NEL coils will no longer work on the new machines.

hope that helps

Kindest Regards
Phillip

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Philip although I'm not sure it's completely explained the situation. How about the question.....why aren't all Coiltek coils waterproof? Looks to me that if you made a mid sized DD coil completely waterproof, you might have some more sales.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread