Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no. Simple. :) Only in high trash areas would a smaller coil come in handy. Personally I have them but don't like them.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The advantage is to tailor your setup for conditions and targets sought.

Here are links to a four part article that Randy wrote on this very subject.

Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 1
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 2
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 3
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 3 | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 4
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 4 | Treasure Talk

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are your hunting conditions? Many of my customers love the 6" Digger and the 10.5" MF DD as their two
go to coils when coin hunting.... But they may not be what you need for your situations.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How big is the stock coil ? In fields you would want a low frequency/ large coil for more area coverage. I have a 15 inch WOT for fields that aren't overly trashy, it gets tons of use there!
WOT15 recent finds.JPG

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the stock coil that came with it. What is the advantage of buying another coil ? I rarely hunt big fields,probably won't ever use it in water,and don't hunt in the woods. So do I need another coil and if so why?

Coily in real trashy iron spots (10 targets per swing), I really like the 18.75 khz 6" DD. If not quite so trashy I prefer the 10.5" 7.5 khz DD. The separation is better on both over the stock coil. The 10.5" is noticeably deeper and (obviously) covers more ground. The 6" has great separation, and loves tiny targets, but about 1.5 less depth than the stock coil but works much better in emi than the stock coil, allowing me to crank sensitivity higher. One thing I dont like about the 10.5 DD is, its not waterproof. I ended up selling my stock 9" coil, I never used it after getting the my 6" 18.75 DD.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What are your hunting conditions? Many of my customers love the 6" Digger and the 10.5" MF DD as their two
go to coils when coin hunting.... But they may not be what you need for your situations.
Most often we are hunting yards and tear down sites. We have only run into one or two situations where there was a high degree of trash and I managed to pull out an old brass key and the mister zilch.I'm not sure the size of the stock coil,it's the Adventure Series 505. I wonder if I would need a smaller coil then,probably not and definitely not bigger.Thanks for the input all.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most often we are hunting yards and tear down sites. We have only run into one or two situations where there was a high degree of trash and I managed to pull out an old brass key am
Nd the mister zilch.I'm not sure the size of the stock coil,it's the Adventure Series 505. I wonder if I would need a smaller coil then,probably not and definitely not bigger.Thanks for the input all.

The stock coil would be the 9" concentric. Depending on the mineralization of your ground, a DD coil may offer better depth than stock. When ground balancing, if your ground phase number is usually under 15, (on 505) a DD should work better for you. That is the case for me here in SoCal, so I don't use concentrics.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you running any Disc? If so, then you really have no idea what all you could be missing due to masking, especially with a concentric coil.
A smaller and/or DD coil could well do better. Hunting teardowns there is likely more than enough trash to deal with, and the separation of a DD could mean the difference between success and failure.
Learning All Metal would also improve your odds. When you're in All Metal you hear everything, because there is no null, so there is less chance of a good target being masked by junk.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you running any Disc? If so, then you really have no idea what all you could be missing due to masking, especially with a concentric coil.
A smaller and/or DD coil could well do better. Hunting teardowns there is likely more than enough trash to deal with, and the separation of a DD could mean the difference between success and failure.
Learning All Metal would also improve your odds. When you're in All Metal you hear everything, because there is no null, so there is less chance of a good target being masked by junk.
I have learned how to run in all metal finally.it is interesting how the set patterns do mask good signals under junky ones or even beside it. I run in all metal and then when I get a high pitched good signal I toggle to preset and try and decide what type of object I have. I may try a DD coil like atomicscott suggested.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of the beauty or the Xterra is it's ability to be tailored to individual situations. There are twelve coils available, and none are redundant, meaning that each one brings something to the table that no other does. And in some cases, the difference between them is like having a different detector that you're already familiar with.

In a situation like you describe, I would lean heavily toward the 6" 3kHz Digger coil from Coiltek. At those teardowns it's response differences between high and low conductors would really sort out the silver, copper, and brass from the nails and other rusted metal. Second choice would be the 10.5" 7.5kHz DD from Minelab. It would cover more ground and ID the most honestly, but it is separation limited by the detection field's length heel-to-toe. Honestly, either one would likely yield better results than the stock coil.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just gave the 10.5 DD MF coil a test run last night. I found the balance to be perfect, after using a CZ-3D for a few weeks. The area was heavily loaded with iron, but the clad coins just popped out of the iron with ease. I'm still learning the sound you get on some of the iron falsing, but becoming better at it with practice. Even though I haven't used the 6" Digger much yet, I would highly recommend it for the conditions your wanting to hunt in CoilyGirl and it is also waterproof.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. You very well may benefit from the use of the 6" Coiltek 3kHz coil if you get back into the trashy sites. In addition to the increased separation the depth probably will be similar to the stock coil because it will allow you to turn up the sensitivity.... 8-)

The secret in the XTerra series is its ability to be tailored to whatever your are hunting with a coil change.... So right now you might not need a different coil, but someday you might find you are hunting in totally different conditions. Just get a coil then to match your needs instead of a different detector.

Most often we are hunting yards and tear down sites. We have only run into one or two situations where there was a high degree of trash and I managed to pull out an old brass key am
Nd the mister zilch.I'm not sure the size of the stock coil,it's the Adventure Series 505. I wonder if I would need a smaller coil then,probably not and definitely not bigger.Thanks for the input all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread