Anyone having success with the x705 on deep silver? I want more depth!

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found 11 gold rings now in my short 4-5 month detecting, not including, pendants, bracelets, all sorts of jewelry. Problem is, Im running out of local parks to hunt for gold. I want some deep silver any silver lol, I live in a big city and the silver was pounded hard when it went in the $40 an ounce range. And theres a local club who hunts a park every sunday with 30 members. If you are having success at Silver coins, etc what coil are you using, what VID"s? I will be making a test garden out back with some coins I bought but is there an equipment advantage Im missing? I have less than 1hr experience with any coil under 18.75Kh. That's prolly my biggest problem. I know some guys guard their success like a pirate and his chest, if you rather PM that's fine and I will not share your techniques if that what you want. I don't want to have to buy the CTX3030.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to chase silver, get a 3kHz coil. If you want deep, get the 15" Coiltek All Terrain 3kHz DD. Mine practically lives on my 705, only coming off in favor of a Coiltek 6" "Digger" 3kHz DD to hunt in heavy trash.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On your other thread you say you have the 10.5 mid freq dd. that coil will work well at all but the trashiest places. Sounds like if your town was pounded hard you need to find private yards that were not hit as hard as public places.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found 11 gold rings now in my short 4-5 month detecting, not including, pendants, bracelets, all sorts of jewelry. Problem is, Im running out of local parks to hunt for gold. I want some deep silver any silver lol, I live in a big city and the silver was pounded hard when it went in the $40 an ounce range. And theres a local club who hunts a park every sunday with 30 members. If you are having success at Silver coins, etc what coil are you using, what VID"s? I will be making a test garden out back with some coins I bought but is there an equipment advantage Im missing? I have less than 1hr experience with any coil under 18.75Kh. That's prolly my biggest problem. I know some guys guard their success like a pirate and his chest, if you rather PM that's fine and I will not share your techniques if that what you want. I don't want to have to buy the CTX3030.

The deeper the coin, the less reliable the TID will be. If you want deeper silver (or any deeper coins) dont be too concerned with the numbers. The tones will be much more reliable, especially on the deeper coins. Consistent mid-high to high tones that read above mid 30's are more likely to be higher conductors like silver.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm sure there's a few who read this that are still pulling tons of silver. I've found 1 dime lol. PM me if you don't want your technique shared. I was doing some testing and was getting the iron ID - numbers on a silver quarter and dime. I've experienced this before when items are just out of reach usually on foil and tiny gold. Is there a setting I'm not doing correctly? I manual ground, auto noise, sensitivity is usually at 6. Does the machine take time to adjust to coil swaps? My stock 5x10 was doing everything my 9" 3kh was doing if not better.

Does anyone own an xterra and an etrac? I'm thinking about possibly moving up but I haven't been to lucky on the gold jewelry lately and I have a rule I only buy with finds. Hmm now that I think about it, hobby $ is hobby $ l, since your king banned Siaga Rifles I bet in a few months I can sell a new one I have and buy an Etrac.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn Tracking ON.
Sensitivity should be way higher than 6.
SLOW DOWN! Each sweep in each direction should take a minimum of 3sec. and 4 would be better.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm sure there's a few who read this that are still pulling tons of silver. I've found 1 dime lol. PM me if you don't want your technique shared. I was doing some testing and was getting the iron ID - numbers on a silver quarter and dime. I've experienced this before when items are just out of reach usually on foil and tiny gold. Is there a setting I'm not doing correctly? I manual ground, auto noise, sensitivity is usually at 6. Does the machine take time to adjust to coil swaps? My stock 5x10 was doing everything my 9" 3kh was doing if not better.

Does anyone own an xterra and an etrac? I'm thinking about possibly moving up but I haven't been to lucky on the gold jewelry lately and I have a rule I only buy with finds. Hmm now that I think about it, hobby $ is hobby $ l, since your king banned Siaga Rifles I bet in a few months I can sell a new one I have and buy an Etrac.
Silver coins are going to hit better than almost anything if you are not finding any you need to change the type of places you hunt. No such thing as a super wazoo coil that makes silver appear where there is none.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone own an xterra and an etrac? I'm thinking about possibly moving up but I haven't been to lucky on the gold jewelry lately and I have a rule I only buy with finds.
Keep your Saiga. I have both V-Flex(Xterra) and FBS(Explorer SE--same technology as E-Trac) machines, and dirtscratcher is right, you have to get your coil over it to find it.

And I wouldn't say that the E-Trac is a better machine than the 705. They're just different. Each has features and capabilities that the other does not, and they are very different technologies. One does not magically see deeper than the other. FWIW, the 705 is my "go-to" machine of the two.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver coins are going to hit better than almost anything if you are not finding any you need to change the type of places you hunt. No such thing as a super wazoo coil that makes silver appear where there is none.

Well put! The small amount of silver I have found rang in loud and clear with a high tone, just like a clad dime would. If it aint there, you aint gonna find it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree if its not under my coil I wont find it, Im just hoping to find an advantage. My family owns a early 1900's downtown Sacramento home and there was a guy who hunted the easements (area between road and sidewalk) for 6 months straight when silver was high dollar. That's how dedicated my town is lol. However, Theres areas that Im sure, 100% confident have silver its just deep, its been re sod'd over. Buildings knocked down and the ground leveled etc. In one area I was getting solid deep hits, I only was scouting and didn't have my shovel so a return is planned. The guy who hit the easements used the screw driver method mostly but made no attempt to be clean, My brother in law even had to yell at him a few times so Im thinking he burned all those old houses permission wise. I did the front yard for 10 mins and found a 1911 penny and some other stuff but no silver. I need to get down there and do a good job. As I type this Im realizing I didn't find any gold until I air tested some rings. I need to find some buried silver so I know what Im listening for.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I wouldn't be getting rid of the xterra Id be adding another machine. I have an old whites MXT that seems to go pretty deep. I just don't like how the xterra will show a negative or iron number for deep silver in AM mode. Im gonna start messing around with sensitivity settings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread