Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Chain! The Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold is a very good gold detector people often forget about. Quick coil change and you back to coin hunting! ;)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but no doubt Minelab will get you back in business soon. The chain proves its performance.... Congrats!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a one-in-a-thousand machine......one that actually needed to be sent back. Even more unusual that it needed it twice!
Return rate on Xterras is as low as any, and quite a bit lower than most. Bummer that you happened to get the one needing help.

Don't worry, they'll make it all better. Then you can really fall in love with it. :thumbsup:

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longhair..I have the SE Pro and the 705...I have been using the SE over the last 2 months , trying to get the hours on it to start understanding it...and I picked up the 705 the other day and found I had to go back to the manual just to find out how to use it again....I wanted to ask you a question about the SE Pro...over the last few weeks when I detect a target and lay the SE down on the ground to dig the target, I start hearing a lot of what I call little flute sounds thou my headphones, when I get up to start swing the detector its real unstable for about 10 to 20 seconds...if I keep swing it, it goes away. or if I hold it up in the air for a bit it goes away, or I can push pin point and back to detect it goes away....I thought it might be the sunray x-8 coil , I called sunray and he was not sure what would cause something like that, asked me to try another coil so I put the S.E.F coil on and it does the same thing with it..I thought it might be the minelab pro find pin pointer, because I could hear it in my headphones every time I turned it on and off..so I tried the whites trx pin pointer and I couldn't hear it in the headphones, but the detector was still unstable 50% of the time when I pick it up off the ground....any thoughts on what might be going on...

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you running the Sensitivity in Auto? If so, then when you lay the machine down it's turning the sensitivity up because it's got nothing under the coil. As soon as you pick it up and give it a minute to look at the ground again it dials itself back down.

Another reason could be EMI that it picks up when it's in that position. Just for grins, try noise cancelling when it's doing that.

OP
OP
T

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my minelab.... great product... I use it hard. I just dont understand why zinc pennies are coming up 40....not wet... using coiltek 6in 3mez coil. also lastest on chain... clean it and see brass color... so its a fake... right making but fake....

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dont understand why zinc pennies are coming up 40....not wet... using coiltek 6in 3mez coil.
First thing to do whenever things seem a little wonky is a factory reset.

If you're running your GB manually, then that can also mess with TID if it's not balanced to that spot of ground.
Running too hot can cause problems with that coil too. It's hot all by itself. As I said in my write-up on that coil for Coiltek, it pretty consistently registered one target value higher than I was accustomed to with factory coils, so for example a copper memorial that normally would ID 38 is 40 with the "Digger".
Coiltek Manufacturing :: 2013-jan-xterra--testimonial

Zinc's, depending on their stage of decomposition and ground moisture can be almost anywhere, but also tend to be jumpier, making them pretty easy to "weed out" if so inclined.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions