pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with the stock programs for a while. Have you downloaded the owners manual yet? The box donsn't come with one. Read the manual use the machine then read the manual again. Keep doing this till it starts to make sense. Remember that the 3030 is not an ATpro they do things diferently. Have fun.

OP
OP
ringking76

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't got it yet,Im getting it at 10:01 this am est.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Stick with the stock programs for a while. Have you downloaded the owners manual yet? The box donsn't come with one. Read the manual use the machine then read the manual again. Keep doing this till it starts to make sense. Remember that the 3030 is not an ATpro they do things diferently. Have fun.
You pay over $2000.00 for a coin detector and they do not even give you a instruction manual … That's not right..

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trust your ears and not readings, but trust the readings when they are accurate and your in a trashy place. Some places I will get lower readings even after running GB.

For example, in the programs I run, pennies will read 12.42-12.43. When I am in trashy spots (aluminum) trash will consistently run 12.41, and I won't dig after about the 12th trash find.

If the signal jumps around a bunch, chances are it is a piece of aluminum or some other trash.

Adjust the sounds, hunt the heck out of a spot and be sure to go back after adjusting the sounds again. I was able to squeeze a lot more out of the same spots like this.

More discrimination will really eat into your depth with this detector. If you can run a wide open screen do so.

Us the "previous mode" feature and toggle back and forth between to programs to double check signals.

Between the 15 and 6" coil....

The 15" coil is ok in wide open areas, or with discrimination you can get 3-4 inches more depth. Pinpointing sucks with it and you have to have a harness to swing it.

The 6" coil is the jewel. Sometimes it is a crap shoot for me if I want to use the 6" or stock. If you use the 6" be sure to move out your lower rod more to offset the balance. My elbows can tell you all about this. If you run it the same length as you do the heavier stock coil, you will be fighting keeping the smaller coil closer to the ground.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please give us a review of how you like the CTX? I use a At Pro now too...

OP
OP
ringking76

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please give us a review of how you like the CTX? I use a At Pro now too...

OK heres my review,its gonna take a lot longer to get used to than the AT Pro.I was lost,I took out my walking halves,merc,wheatie and Washington.I tried them in coins,silver and open programs already installed on the MD.The merc was hitting at 11-44,wash 11-45,46 walking half 11-47,48 wheatie at 10,11-41..Clad dime and quarter was about the same as silver except the FE was a point or two lower,after 71/2 hrs of MD I came home with aprox,7qrtr,6dim,6pny and a crap load of IRON!
Im not complaining<I hunted new spots and I don't think they panned out....What was confusing was the IRON! It was coming in as a "high tone" and being an experienced AT Pro user I was digging them with out looking at the location of the FE after about 7 nails I started noticing it was at the bottom right.My whole issue is with the CTX is why is it a high tone for iron,why is it a tone period?I understand in an open program but in a coins and silver mode it should be Discriminated out.I guess its off to youtube lol

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't watch my screen intently, but I do check it. Watch your cursors for good targets. Target trace will help you also when you are over multiple targets. This is the best detector that I have used that will find nails on top of coins. Usually in this case the readings will be off, but you can still hear the coins.

I toggle between Evan's Gone Hunting program and he has a Multicoin program. I will also run it more open on the relic program if it isn't too irony or trashy.

The Gone Hunting Program works well and should give you a base to adjust from later as you gain more experience. I tweaked the program slightly for my use.

Zipped file for the Gonehunting's Settings - Gonehunting For History

OP
OP
ringking76

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice fellas,that's the main reason I bought the ctx.that did with him pulling silver out of a whole of nails.

OP
OP
ringking76

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't watch my screen intently, but I do check it. Watch your cursors for good targets. Target trace will help you also when you are over multiple targets. This is the best detector that I have used that will find nails on top of coins. Usually in this case the readings will be off, but you can still hear the coins.

I toggle between Evan's Gone Hunting program and he has a Multicoin program. I will also run it more open on the relic program if it isn't too irony or trashy.

The Gone Hunting Program works well and should give you a base to adjust from later as you gain more experience. I tweaked the program slightly for my use.

Zipped file for the Gonehunting's Settings - Gonehunting For History

thanks Pointman,gone hunting helped alot.I created my own program and down loaded it to the ctx lastnight.
I have a couple of ? though if you dont mind answering?I used the 3 block and disc out the very bottom only,this shouldnt hurt my depth to much should it?
Is there any way to mute the iron tone without disc it out,I dropped the iron tone to 75.
I have the target trace on,it's a little weird though seeing the actual trace of your target in color.I seen the option for Target trace pinpoint,what does that option do?
I seen a vid that Gone Hunting had were the silver was coming in as a red dot and the iron in the whole was a blue dot,is this target Target Trace pinpoint?
Thanks for the pointers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread