Had my CTX for a bit here are my likes and dislikes

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Koffee, thank you for the affirmation. My definition of truly waterproof is better characterized by the Excalibur than the CTX at this point.

Hey ColonelDan,

When I first got my CTX, I felt then, and still do, that the gasket seal between the battery and control box was poorly designed. I feel the gasket is too flimsy and I would like to see a screw down system, rather than latches, which could come undone in the water.

That being said, I take the precaution of applying Molycote 111 to the gasket prior to water use. I have experienced no water intrusion. If I were detecting primarily in water, I agree that an Excal, or other dedicated water machine would be a better choice. Using the Molycote 111 as insurance of waterproof integrity, I have reasonable confidence using it in water.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey ColonelDan,

When I first got my CTX, I felt then, and still do, that the gasket seal between the battery and control box was poorly designed. I feel the gasket is too flimsy and I would like to see a screw down system, rather than latches, which could come undone in the water.

That being said, I take the precaution of applying Molycote 111 to the gasket prior to water use. I have experienced no water intrusion. If I were detecting primarily in water, I agree that an Excal, or other dedicated water machine would be a better choice. Using the Molycote 111 as insurance of waterproof integrity, I have reasonable confidence using it in water.

I agree and questioned the design from the beginning but I'm no engineer so my opinion was questionable. I'm happy to hear you found something to enhance the waterproof capability of the gasket but what about the module that sits right above the battery and the wireless module that cannot be enhanced...Minelab warns they are not waterproof? If Minelab could solve the gasket issue, and waterproof those two modules, then I'd be happy to describe the CTX 3030 a truly waterproof machine....but hey, that's just my personal definition of waterproof and there are thousands who have many more years at this than I do that would disagree. Not trying to cause a stir here just surfacing a question that's been in the back of my mind since the CTX came out.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I find this thread very useful. I'm an E-Trac guy who happened to pick up a CTX which I haven't taken out of the box yet! Keep these threads coming!

One note - I'd really rather have a hard copy of the manual versus having to print a pdf..... They cheaped out on that in my opinion....

Seems I do remember reading a thread where you can call Minelab for a copy. I'd have to find that again.....

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and questioned the design from the beginning but I'm no engineer so my opinion was questionable. I'm happy to hear you found something to enhance the waterproof capability of the gasket but what about the module that sits right above the battery and the wireless module that cannot be enhanced...Minelab warns they are not waterproof? If Minelab could solve the gasket issue, and waterproof those two modules, then I'd be happy to describe the CTX 3030 a truly waterproof machine....but hey, that's just my personal definition of waterproof and there are thousands who have many more years at this than I do that would disagree. Not trying to cause a stir here just surfacing a question that's been in the back of my mind since the CTX came out.

Hey ColonelDan,

As to the gasket issue, I don't think Minelab is going to do anything about it. It is what it is. Perhaps if they come out with a new, redesigned model they will??

As far as the earphone module above the battery, it is ONLY to use the non waterproof plug in headphones. That module is removed, and the waterproof headphones are screwed into the unit for water use. Boy, it sure would be great if there were waterproof wireless headphones!!! I love using the wireless system, much more comfort and freedom of movement. If Minelab had a system like the whites V3i and VX3 wireless system I don't think it would be too difficult. I believe their headphones have all the receiving circuitry built into the headphone. No module to plug into, you would just have to waterproof the wireless headphones.

Last edited:

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DeepseekerADS,

I mentioned it (hard copy manual) in response to ColonelDan's post about CTX "Manual Work Around", and digital options. I emailed the Minelab America office, requesting one, they sent me one. It is in booklet form, about 5x8 inches. It's easily taken into the field, and VERY handy to have. HH

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey DeepseekerADS, I mentioned it (hard copy manual) in response to ColonelDan's post about CTX "Manual Work Around", and digital options. I emailed the Minelab America office, requesting one, they sent me one. It is in booklet form, about 5x8 inches. It's easily taken into the field, and VERY handy to have. HH

Thanks!!! I don't know if I'd have found that thread again. Duh......

You saved some of the remaining hair on my head!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey DeepseekerADS,

I mentioned it (hard copy manual) in response to ColonelDan's post about CTX "Manual Work Around", and digital options. I emailed the Minelab America office, requesting one, they sent me one. It is in booklet form, about 5x8 inches. It's easily taken into the field, and VERY handy to have. HH

fwiw, I emailed Minelab Americas in Illinois today and they said there is no such thing + told me to print out my own copy from the CD. I refered them to this thread, but received no further reply.

(and to make sure there is no confusion, I believe locater)

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Champ.
There most certainly IS such a thing! Someone at Minelab is passing out some BS. I bought my CTX in Aug. of '13. I, like I'm sure many CTX purchasers, was not too happy about not receiving a hardcopy manual. Just that CD. I contacted the Minelab customer service (U.S.) and complained.

I received an email with the explanation that since they market to multiple nations, languages, it was not practical to send a written owners manual. They apologized, and said one would be sent to me. I received it just a few days later.

First of all I thought it was a pretty lame excuse for not sending them with the unit. If you export them to the U.S., you send an English version, to France, French etc., not exactly rocket science. I won't say whoever contacted you was lying, as they MAY not be aware, but there is certainly a hardcopy manual. They sent it from the Illinois office. They've got pretty big stones, suggesting that you should print a 67 page manual. It would burn up an ink cartridge!

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fwiw, I emailed Minelab Americas in Illinois today and they said there is no such thing + told me to print out my own copy from the CD. I refered them to this thread, but received no further reply.

(and to make sure there is no confusion, I believe locater)

Hi Champ,

Just to let you know, I just fired off an email to the Illinois office. I gave them the history of my receiving a written manual from their office last year. I also asked why they are giving out misinformation. Not a good way to treat customers! Hope it helps.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, locater! I kinda think that its a case of not knowing more than trying to not send me a manual. The lady was polite and just putting forth the company line. And I think we all agree that not sending at least an abbreviated manual (like you can get on ebay for a few bux) is kind of chintzy on a hi dollar detector.

On that 'print your own' BS, the size of the thing makes it impractical for the field as would any moisture at all running the ink all over the place. hmmmmm, I wonder if Minelab realizes we might take these things to the beach?

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, locater! I kinda think that its a case of not knowing more than trying to not send me a manual. The lady was polite and just putting forth the company line. And I think we all agree that not sending at least an abbreviated manual (like you can get on ebay for a few bux) is kind of chintzy on a hi dollar detector.

On that 'print your own' BS, the size of the thing makes it impractical for the field as would any moisture at all running the ink all over the place. hmmmmm, I wonder if Minelab realizes we might take these things to the beach?

The copy I was sent is about 5x8 inches. It is much smaller than a standard 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of print paper. It doesn't seem to be a high quality type of ink, so I'm sure it would not handle moisture well. I think when you sell equipment at that kind of price, it's not unreasonable for the purchaser, to expect a written copy of the owners manual to reference in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread