Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my CTX for a bit here are my likes and dislikes

1 . Being able to customize search programs and being able to shift from one to another at a push of a button.
2. Changing coils is painless.
3. multiple coils (I have not tried any third party yet)
4. Telescoping handle easy for travel from one place to another.
5. Being able to assign tone frequencies is nice.
7. Water proof to 10 feet is really handy and makes it versatile.
8. The display can really help you if you are in very trashy ground and if you do not like digging a ton of trash.
9. Pinpoint trigger is awesome
10. Ground balance automatic and manual rules!!
11. For a machine with so many options it can be a plug and play machine you can just pick up and use.
12. The biggest plus about this machine to me is it allows me to hunt in really nasty and trashy areas. As this machine has multiple tools that help you sift through the noise to the higher probability targets.

Things I am not so fond of
1. No solid coils I sometimes hunt in areas with mountain misery and the coil is always hanging up. (This might have changed with the third party coils, I have not checked recently)
2. The water “proofness” always give me some concern even though I clean the connections for dust. I have had no problems but have read the stories.
3. I think it swings weird or different then other detectors and that takes getting use to. You will probably have to wear the arm wrap.
4. How the battery attaches to the machine. Those snaps can get hung up and have actually had it partially unsnap one side once. Thankfully I was not in water. I have a Velcro cover for it now and I used huge rubber bands I made from bike tires.
5. It does worry me when Im in the foothills of California that I might fall with it. As it is a bit more fragile then my fisher, Garret and Whites.
6. The screen is very very hard to read if there is any sun out at all

I really like this machine and have no buyers remorse and have similar complaints with other machines as none are perfect. I have been more successful with this machine then my old one. Most of that success is from being able to hunt in really trashy areas.

Cheers - Koffee

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with #6 of your cons list. I've tried two different covers that suppose to help reduce the glare (or lack of) and they don't work. I can read it better with sunglasses on in the bright light, but my polarized ones make the screen look almost burned out sometimes where it blocks out the glare.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find changing coils the worst part of having this detector, just a total pain in the a double s.

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Changing coils isn't too bad for me. I have the 6" and 17", I mostly stay with the stock coil. The 17" hasn't proven to be any deeper to me, it just covers more area. The 6" is a handy tool in trashy places, it has impressed me with it's depth also.

Sure would be nice to have a few extra lower shafts but I haven't justified the price yet. Got too much tied up as it is.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Changing coils isn't too bad for me. I have the 6" and 17", I mostly stay with the stock coil. The 17" hasn't proven to be any deeper to me, it just covers more area. The 6" is a handy tool in trashy places, it has impressed me with it's depth also.

Sure would be nice to have a few extra lower shafts but I haven't justified the price yet. Got too much tied up as it is.

I agree that the stock coil goes pretty deep. I also think that the 15" is just for coverage. It is a pain in the butt to pinpoint with it sometimes. I have found dimes at 8-9" with the 6" coil. I can't see paying $175 for a lower shaft, and I am not sure if it would save much more time/effort to justify the cost.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eTrac also has the # 6 issue. Hard to read the screen, if not impossible when sunny. Find myself constantly changing angles or covering the glare with my hand to get a better view.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Koffee,

Pretty much agree with most of your CTX comments. You didn't mention a biggie in the plus column. The wireless headphones are GREAT!! It is SOooooo nice not being attached to the detector. Makes digging targets much easier. Also, the GPS tracking can be very useful. It was what I thought I would never use, but when working large sites, it's handy. The rechargeable lithium-ion batteries for the detector and wireless module, are the best currently available also.

Had mine a year now, no regrets!!

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of thoughts on the dislikes... For being hard to see the screen, turn on the backlight. I have found it helps even in daylight. Of course it won't be perfect but I find it better. Changing coils isn't like other detectors; close the lower rod ALL THE WAY in, do NOT take it out. Remove the coil from shaft, then slide open the control unit and unscrew the coil connection. It will slide right out, then drop the new coil cable into the shaft and screw it on the connection before mounting the coil on the rod.

IF you are having trouble pinpointing, you need more practice. I can't explain why but when I got my E-Trac (pinpoints same as CTX) I couldn't pinpoint worth a damn. Then one day it all just kind of fell together and I had zero problem pinointing after that.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X2 on the pinpointing issue. I never thought it was any more difficult than any other DD setup. With the audio and visual assist it's actually pretty easy for me.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bunch of good info on this page. Great post to follow.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great post for those of us seriously considering adding the CTX to our stable of MD'ers! Thank you.

My concerns however are holding me back and revolve around the claim of being "waterproof." I too have read the horror stories of leaking issues and also took note that the module that sits right above the battery isn't waterproof and must be removed before submerging the CTX. I was also disappointed that the wireless module isn't waterproof either. All these concerns have prevented me from taking the plunge given that 99% of my TH'ing is done on the beach and in shallow water here on the Florida's east coast.

I know many TH'ers use this great machine without issue to include Gary Drayton whose opinions I very much value but I just wonder about this machine claiming to be waterproof in light of the above. Am I off base or are my concerns valid?

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had mine under with gray ghost waterproof phones for hours at a time. ZERO issues so far. Big thing to check is the red o-ring around the battery compartment as you install the battery. I quick walk around before you fly is a very very good idea!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of my customers to date have had a water intrusion issue, but know it has occured to a few others. Like Bart said, keep a good eye on the battery seal and all will be fine.

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post for those of us seriously considering adding the CTX to our stable of MD'ers! Thank you.

My concerns however are holding me back and revolve around the claim of being "waterproof." I too have read the horror stories of leaking issues and also took note that the module that sits right above the battery isn't waterproof and must be removed before submerging the CTX. I was also disappointed that the wireless module isn't waterproof either. All these concerns have prevented me from taking the plunge given that 99% of my TH'ing is done on the beach and in shallow water here on the Florida's east coast.

I know many TH'ers use this great machine without issue to include Gary Drayton whose opinions I very much value but I just wonder about this machine claiming to be waterproof in light of the above. Am I off base or are my concerns valid?

No I think you are right on with your concerns. I will also rethink taking this machine in the water once the warranty runs out.

Cheers - Koffee

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Koffee, thank you for the affirmation. My definition of truly waterproof is better characterized by the Excalibur than the CTX at this point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread