Opinions on pattern for E-trac

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering what would I be missing as far as coins and jewelry go with this pattern on the E-Trac....... P1030785.JPG

Attachments

• P1030785.JPG
    P1030785.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins and jewelry generally will not be affected by the DISC area you have. However, the use of even a smidgeon of DISC will greatly decrease sensitivity to weak conductors. In other words, thin rings and jewelry won't be DISC'd out, but neither will they be 'seen' by the detector. If you want to give yourself every chance of finding those poor conductors you'll need to run wide open.

If you use TTF pattern, then the Fe values lower than 18Fe will be a high tone. Everything else is low tone, which can be ignored. You can then skip the DISC. It can be tiresome in nail strewn fields, where you would probably add a minimum of DISC (suffering sensitivity to get control of the audio).

If you use 4TF pattern, then you have a zone from 8-17Fe where the audio is set to med-High. If your audio discretion is well developed then you have a tighter zone to listen for where good targets inhabit. Just listen for that happy med-High tone. The High tone in nail strewn fields will be chirps from wrap-around iron (at 01Fe) - it can be ignored. The other lower tones can also be ignored too (above 17Fe) just as in TTF. Just listen for the med-High tone.

Unless you upgrade to the CTX that is about the best that can be done with audio bins in the E-Trac.

Jackalope

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins and jewelry generally will not be affected by the DISC area you have. However, the use of even a smidgeon of DISC will greatly decrease sensitivity to weak conductors. In other words, thin rings and jewelry won't be DISC'd out, but neither will they be 'seen' by the detector. If you want to give yourself every chance of finding those poor conductors you'll need to run wide open.

Agreed. I use to run the E-trac with just a few lines on descrim on the bottom. Yes its noisy that way but watching the cursor bounce will tell you a lot. Audio is still king!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my current pattern, gets shield nickel and three cent nickels(nickel), and have tried it with a decent amount of jewelry, seems to work good for me.

9_18_2014 current pattern.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions