FLATENPA

Jun 24, 2014
Western Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, AT Pro, CTX 3030, Sovereign Elite, Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning all,

Was hunting in All Metal Mode and had a very slight threshold variation over a target. I switched to discrimination and there was no tone also there was no "null" either. So I dug a little bit and finally about 6 inched down the I received a "null" tone. I changed angles and crissed/crossed the hole and it stayed a null. Since it was a limited time search day I filled the hole and moved on...is this a normal thing (sensitivity was at 4).

Care of the cables I have read that rinse after use and coat with silicon? Can you use WD-40 or is there a better product for this?

Headphone cables does anyone secure them to something to reduce stress on the cable?

Thanks in advance...:hello2:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds normal to me. Sounds like a deep iron target machine was barely reaching. I would call Minelab and ask before I put any lubricant anywhere so that you dont void your warranty.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart is right about the deep iron. Don't use WD-40. only silicone spray.:thumbsup:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a normal situation with deep targets using the Excal. Many times deep targets will only sound off in pin point (all metal) I run mine as hot as I can but if that not possible in your area, you might want to turn it up for just that sort of target to see if the added depth will help the discriminator.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others said that is normal, all metal (pinpoint) is deeper than descriminate which is why some of us have the reverse pinpoint mod and hunt in all metal till we find target then switch to descriminate to see if it nulls or even appears. The mod places a pin point / descriminate switch on the hand grip so or is extremely easy to switch back and forth...

You can see the ricker switch in picture on top of handgrip, forward is all metal back is discriminate.

ce0fd259adaf44e85e9c33447601a9c5.jpg

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
McNett divers silicon spray or 303 Aerospace protectant for all cables. And get that PP mod from KellyCo once your warranty runs out, It will change the way you hunt...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 inches? sheesh ... DIG MAN !!!. :)

I dont think i can even dig LESS than 6 inches... my stainless scoop takes 6 inches at least with every scoop.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 inches? sheesh ... DIG MAN !!!. :)

I dont think i can even dig LESS than 6 inches... my stainless scoop takes 6 inches at least with every scoop.
As does mine.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread