Excalibur 8" or 10" coil for first time?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I've decided on an excalibur II, just can't decide on the 8" or 10". I don't want to be disappointed with my choice wishing I should've went with the other. Some say the 8" has found them more gold than their 10". Also how much more of a difference does the 10" make compared to the 8". I would want to be able to cover more ground but if pinpointing and separating trash with the 10" is going to be an issue, then the 8" might be the better option wading in the shallow and in deeper water. Anybody that has both and which they prefer that could help me make a decision I won't regret.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with 10 inch..... I have 2 excals both have 15 inch coils hard wired, I can never go back to 10"...

I have found .06 of a gram gold ring and deep gold rings.... Beach is large area, more area you cover and deeper you go the more gold you will find....

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks TH! I will go with your advice and go with the larger coil. I was leaning towards the 10" for those factors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
...also I can't see pinpointing that much harder with the 10" than the 8". Would you say??

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the "10, I dig all targets at the beach anyway, I don't want to take a chance on missing out on a good score. Goodluck!

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I live in Canada. Primarily will be fresh water beaches and lakes. I have an AT pro but I want a deeper machine and my AT pro is ok but from what I'm hearing from everyone else who has an Excal, it just sounds like guys are getting more out of higher end machines, so I wanna go with the Excal and see what I'm missing out on.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the 10" for more depth. The guys that dive go with the 8" as it is easier to swing.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found neither one was big enough for me on my local beaches! I actually have two Excals. I modified one with a 15" WOT and left the other with the stock 10" I've also used the 8" version. In the dry and wet sand, coverage is very important. The more virgin sand you can get under the coil, the more likely you'll find something good. In the water, the smaller coils are easier to swing but coverage suffers. If you have a real trashy beach or are hunting around fire rings, the smaller coil the better for target separation. Usually pin pointing is not an issue at a sandy beach. If you miss the target on the first scoop, just take another until you get it. Even with the 15" coil, pin pointing is not a big deal....you get used to it. If you're buying new, get the 10". If you're buying used, find one that has already been modified with a larger coil and a pin point/all metal button installed if you can. Sometimes you can find an 8" cheaper and then have it converted. A straight shaft is a plus also. I like mine hip mounted to get the weight off the shaft.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found neither one was big enough for me on my local beaches! I actually have two Excals. I modified one with a 15" WOT and left the other with the stock 10" I've also used the 8" version. In the dry and wet sand, coverage is very important. The more virgin sand you can get under the coil, the more likely you'll find something good. In the water, the smaller coils are easier to swing but coverage suffers. If you have a real trashy beach or are hunting around fire rings, the smaller coil the better for target separation. Usually pin pointing is not an issue at a sandy beach. If you miss the target on the first scoop, just take another until you get it. Even with the 15" coil, pin pointing is not a big deal....you get used to it. If you're buying new, get the 10". If you're buying used, find one that has already been modified with a larger coil and a pin point/all metal button installed if you can. Sometimes you can find an 8" cheaper and then have it converted. A straight shaft is a plus also. I like mine hip mounted to get the weight off the shaft.
I tried to return and use a 10 inch, after about 2 hours I gave up and went back to my 15 inch and never went back. In or out of water I use 15 ibch...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread