Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone,

I've got a sweet AT Pro, and its a fine detector, but I really want to get a next-level machine. I'm torn between the Deus and the Etrac, but I hear there are issues with visibility of the Etrac screen. Is it only in sunlight? Is it because of the type of display or is it the cover-glass? If its the cover-glass, could it be improved with some kind of frosted window film?

If its the type of screen, you'd think that Minelab would correct this. Heck, they made a Kindle that could be read in bright sunlight, so why cant Minelab get on the stick about this?

Your thoughts would be very apreciated! :hello:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The screen is a bit difficult to see but if your looking at the screen on a Minelab E-trac very much at all you arent using it to its capability. AUDIO AUDIO AUDIO on that machine.

What kind of hunting do you do most for one and what are you going after? That is what you should be asking yourself on what machine to buy. Give me a ring and I will be glad to go over both and give you their advantages on each other. VERY VERY different top end detectors.

Thanks, Bart

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The display can be a bit hard to read at times in bright sunshine but it's not a real issue. Don't let that be a deciding factor.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The screen is a bit difficult to see but if your looking at the screen on a Minelab E-trac very much at all you arent using it to its capability. AUDIO AUDIO AUDIO on that machine.

What kind of hunting do you do most for one and what are you going after? That is what you should be asking yourself on what machine to buy. Give me a ring and I will be glad to go over both and give you their advantages on each other. VERY VERY different top end detectors.

Thanks, Bart

Thanks, Bart. I love that ATP I got from you, but its eventually going to be my freshwater-only machine. I'll give you a holler when I decide to buy.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only problem I had with the SE Screen which should be the same as the ETrac
[h=2][/h],
is Sun Glare (flairs) sort of like an unexpected laser to the eyes
at times.

I now keep a rain cover on, but that hides the Screen even more.
but I don't really use it anyway.
I use my ears

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the detectors that I have used with a black and white screen are difficult to see, unless the sky is overcast. I have tried shades and filters both and they don't entirely work. The only screens that seem to mostly work are the color screens that are found on the White's V3I and CTX 3030.

I agree what Bart said concerning listening to the sounds. More times than I can remember I have listened to the sounds and managed to find great items to only have the readout read low. If I depended on the readout all the time, I would probably only have found only really shallow coins and missed most of the great targets.

On the CTX you should prioritize the audio first and then the cursors and then the readings. The cursor and the readings go hand-in-hand, meaning that if the sound is bad, but the signal is somewhat consistent and the cursors and readings seem stable AND the ferrous readings are acceptable (12+), I would dig. Otherwise, I always dig by sound. This is also true of the Etrac. On both the Etrac and CTX really deep targets will give a bouncy signal that only sounds good, so this is another reason to rely on your ears.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The E-Trac & CTX screen look great indoors - but no so much in the sunlight. It's somewhere between highly compromised and useless in the direct sun. I sometimes have to hunt with my shadow across the screen if I really want to see the display. I've tried screen protectors without great success in bringing back the display - perhaps someone has something that really works, I haven't found it.

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my first metal detector this year, an E-TRAC. I use it pretty much in 2 tone ferrous mode and love it. I'm up to 68 silver coins on the year so far. All I can say is awesome. I don't worry about a little glare from time to time. I know a person that bought a Deus this year instead of an E-TRAC. I'm assuming he wishes he could take his poor decision back because last I knew, 0 silvers. I hear Deus is for relics and European coins more than American coins.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Bart said, "AUDIO, AUDIO AUDIO."

Also if your wearing polarized glasses that makes the screen hard to see. Garmin learned this about their GPS's for cars.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I've got a sweet AT Pro, and its a fine detector, but I really want to get a next-level machine. I'm torn between the Deus and the Etrac, but I hear there are issues with visibility of the Etrac screen. Is it only in sunlight? Is it because of the type of display or is it the cover-glass? If its the cover-glass, could it be improved with some kind of frosted window film?

If its the type of screen, you'd think that Minelab would correct this. Heck, they made a Kindle that could be read in bright sunlight, so why cant Minelab get on the stick about this?

Your thoughts would be very apreciated! :hello:

The etrac is great but the screen is hard to read in direct sunlight. I usually shift to see what the tid numbers are if I need to see them in bright sunlight. The screen is secondary like everyone else said. I only look at it for reference now. I have had it for a little over a year and have found things I have walked over with other detectors. It will find things in areas you thought were cleaned out but you have to put the time in to learn it.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Bart said, "AUDIO, AUDIO AUDIO."

Also if your wearing polarized glasses that makes the screen hard to see. Garmin learned this about their GPS's for cars.

I love my polarized glasses but they make it hard to detect in! lol

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How would you guys rate the E-trac for audio compared to others? I too enjoy the audio variations of my AT Pro, but I wonder how it compares to other detectors.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How would you guys rate the E-trac for audio compared to others? I too enjoy the audio variations of my AT Pro, but I wonder how it compares to other detectors.

Minelab has its own audio language way different than any others. Once you learn it has much more info than most.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab's audio sounds are the full range of tones and not the plain Beep of the AT Pro. Minelab's audio reminds me of a strangled Duck.:laughing7: Much more information.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab's audio sounds are the full range of tones and not the plain Beep of the AT Pro. Minelab's audio reminds me of a strangled Duck.:laughing7: Much more information.

AFLAAC?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screen? I haven't looked at my E-Trac screen in years - - - - It's all about sound as others who are experienced have stated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread