Minelab Xterra 705? Does this machine "whisper" what headphones do you use? Help.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Xterra 705? Does this machine "whisper" what headphones do you use? Help.

I have an Xterra 705 with headphones off a Garret GTI2500, Dual volume control, stereo and Mono. Recently the plug has become faulty, I have to tape the cable back etc to make a connection in there. I was gonna get a screw type 1/4 plug end from Radio shack for $2 and repair it.

So that got me searching around for headphones, I use 4 tones and it sounds like 3 to me, a low 0-28 VID Mid 30-38 and high 40-46, I like these headphones low=gold/trash, medium penny's bottle caps, high quarters and dimes. I have an idea of the target by sound and the VID usually will help with a guess.

Am I missing out not using a higher priced set? I have a newer set of Koss noise reductions on the wife's MXT and they work great! I can hear and dig whispers on that machine but for me, and my set ups, it seems it's usually there, or it's not on the Xterra. I don't threshold hunt on the xterra like I do the MXT, (maybe I should) I plan to get a unity gain amplifier as I've duck hunted for 20 years and ya just can't help having your bell rung a few times a year.

Are there a set of grey ghost, killer B's, detector pros etc that I would be happy with? The louder and more distinct the tone, the better for me, after getting the Koss on trade I noticed the tones blended a little more, the high tone was more of the Garret's medium. I like the motto buy once, cry once. So of there's a set out there with more advantages for the xterra, I'm worried about ordering mellow, or quiet headphones. Any input is appreciated. I'm happy with the GTI2500 headphones I just don't know if I'm missing something.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 2 sets of headphones. A good pair of headphones aren't cheap, a cheap pair of headphones aren't good. I have a pair of Treasure Wise and a pair of Gray Ghost Ultimates. Probably goes without saying that I only use the Gray Ghosts now and the Treasure Wise are strictly back-ups. You have an awesome metal detector. Spend the $$ and compliment that 705 and your ears with some good headphones. Then you will really hear what that 705 is telling you.:thumbsup:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a big Grey Ghost fan - just right for me! Headphones are a matter of personal preference, or what you get used to hearing. I've tried Sunray Pro Golds, but didn't like them as much as the Grey Ghosts. Not saying they are bad headphones - because they are excellent! Its just that they didn't sound as good to me as what I'm used to hearing. They also seemed to clamp on my head just a little tigher than the Grey Ghosts. However -a good friend uses the Sunrays and loves them, hates the Grey Ghosts. Again, personal preference. If you have some way to compare them side by side before buying it would be a big help.

Get one of the major brands with lifetime warranty.... and never look back. The sounds will be crisper and you will have them forever.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was ready to purchase some Ghost months ago went to look and there's 2-4 models. What model grey ghost do you use? I coin and jewelry hunt with this in soil. Thanks!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several different variations of the Grey Ghosts.... One has a removeable cord (NDTs), one has push buttons and a limiter (ultimates), one has switches inside the cup to prevent branches from moving the switches around (deep woods), some are for underwater use, etc. For us, the most popular is the originals - they have a single volume control, a lifetime warranty, and are at a god price point. I like and personally use the NDTs because of the replaceable cord. One time on a trip to VA I discovered a bad cord... moments later I was back in business ready to hunt. My son has the originals, they sound identical to the NDTs. Other than the submersible versions, the sound will be the same on all of them.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree completely with Keith concerning the differences in headphones. I like the Killer Bees and I like the Sunrays, but they are tight on the head. The earcups are soft and comfortable, but I am not sure if they are as sturdy as the Grey Ghosts or Nugget Busters. I have Black Widows, but they are a little large on the ear pieces. I do notice a difference that they seem to shut more environmental sound out than the others. The waterproof Grey Ghosts sound a little muffled, because the ear cups are sealed on the inside.

Concerning headphones in general, they are a worthy investment and something you will not have to replace right away. You really don't know what you are missing until you get a decent pair. I thought the lightweight Garrett headphones were great and the stock ones also until I invested on a good brand. My hunting partner I think felt the same with the Koss UR-30s until he bought some Grey Ghosts.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the other part of your question, "YES" the 705 has proportional audio, so deeper targets sound farther away.
Quality headphones are a distinct (and IMO necessary) advantage over cheap ones.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it! I knew I had posted this, I just couldn't remember where. Thanks for all the info guys! I appreciate all the advise!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread