15 inch All Terrain Search Coil by Coiltek (Sovereign Series) - Cable Length

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, Surf PI Pro, BeachHunter ID, Sovereign GT and Excalibur 1000 (my favorite)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone has shortened the cable. I also bought one that had been "professionally" shortened, which I was ok with since I don't hip mount the GT anyway. But after receiving the coil I discovered that the cable was so short that the only way to use it was with an inline meter. I was disappointed that this professional who shortened the cable hadn't thought to leave a couple inches on there to be safe.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not normal at all, I have bought 3 WOTs over the years for different detectors, none ever that short...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab makes extension cables as I needed to order two for my GT.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a guess but you bought it used? I have seen several brand new and everyone is plenty long enough.

OP
OP
T

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, Surf PI Pro, BeachHunter ID, Sovereign GT and Excalibur 1000 (my favorite)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I ordered from Amazon. The order was processed by "The Detector Experts". "The Detector Experts" is actually "Serious Detecting". The response from Serious Detecting was that 50 inches is the standard cable length on the Sovereign 15" All Terrain Search Coil.

I also sent an email to Coiltek asking for their input on this - so far nothing has come back from them.

The plot thickens ...... I just noticed that the coil decal states that the coil is for the Minelab Xterra. I HAVE THE WRONG COIL.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered from Amazon. The order was processed by "The Detector Experts". "The Detector Experts" is actually "Serious Detecting". The response from Serious Detecting was that 50 inches is the standard cable length on the Sovereign 15" All Terrain Search Coil. I also sent an email to Coiltek asking for their input on this - so far nothing has come back from them. The plot thickens ...... I just noticed that the coil decal states that the coil is for the Minelab Xterra. I HAVE THE WRONG COIL.
That is a totally different technology that the Xterra uses. The Sovereign coil wires are very long from the factory to enable hip mounting. I purchased mine used and knew it had been shortened, just not shortened "too" short to use without a meter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread