question about x-terra 705 goldpack

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Packaged coil deal.

I've found 17 nuggets with it so far this season.

It does the job.

All the best,

Lanny

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
BC……… If you buy the 705 not the gold pack and then buy the 18.75 kHz coil later then you have the Gold pack … No difference just the coil ..

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No difference just the coil.
⇑This.

The only difference is the coil, and the gold pack coil is worth more to resell, making it a better initial buy. In our neck of the woods that coil is far less than desirable, so you'd want to off it to finance something more applicable.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
⇑This.

The only difference is the coil, and the gold pack coil is worth more to resell, making it a better initial buy. In our neck of the woods that coil is far less than desirable, so you'd want to off it to finance something more applicable.
Does that mean that the gold coil is no good in your area ? So he should sell the gold coil and buy a different coil?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that mean that the gold coil is no good in your area ? So he should sell the gold coil and buy a different coil?
Yep!
He lives near me. As a matter of fact we've met up for a short hunt before, so I'm pretty aware of the conditions that he'll be hunting in, and a lower frequency DD like the 10.5" 7.5kHz would be the best one to have first.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep!
He lives near me. As a matter of fact we've met up for a short hunt before, so I'm pretty aware of the conditions that he'll be hunting in, and a lower frequency DD like the 10.5" 7.5kHz would be the best one to have first.
.. OK i got it now ..

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give that 5x10 hf a shot before I sold it. It will surprise you.
18.75 feq. Is not the best freq. for coins but it will separate better and hit on edge coins better.
And for a 5" wide coil its deeper than most think.

I have one and was going to sell it until I worked out the GB with it.

Food for thought
TL

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep!

I am a "few" miles south of these guys (Ohio) and so far the 7.5 DD has been awesome. A year or so ago, I had an Xterra 70 with the 5x10 HF DD coil and didn't really see that great of results with it as compared to the stock MF coil. I had bought the set-up from a guy in New Mexico (on the Findmall forum). He obviously used it to nugget hunt out there.
The MF DD coil has really been a blessing and compliments the already awesome 705 that I own now. I thought I saw a vendor on one of the sites selling new 705s w/MF DD along with the stock coil for a very reasonable price. The 705 would sell great if it came only with the MF DD coil in my opinion.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I initially ordered the gold pack cause I like the DD 10X5 coil I have on my Teknetics Omega, but after thinking about the frequency and my area I switched for the standard coil unit. So far I think it was the right choice, and my first added coil will likely be a 10" DD medium frequency coil, followed by one of the high frequency ones/
For now, considering time of year I will gain more from trying all the features the 705 has than trying different coils.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BC……… If you buy the 705 not the gold pack and then buy the 18.75 kHz coil later then you have the Gold pack … No difference just the coil ..

Standard 705 has the round coil. The GOLD coil new is $200 by itself. I just got my 705 GOLD and taking it out tomorrow. My old X-Terra 7 used the same HF coil but that model can't fine tune frequency. 705 does that. All coils work on all ML models. I like the slim shape of the Gold 5x10 coil. Waterproof and slips around obstacles with ease. If you own an X-Terra the Gold coil is $200 extra. The 705 GOLD pack includes it but no otehr coil. And it is killer on buried #9 birdshot. :)
BB

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the slim shape of the Gold 5x10 coil. Waterproof and slips around obstacles with ease.
Stop! It's NOT waterproof!
There are 12 authorized coils available for Xterras, and three of them are only "water resistant". Those would be the 5X10" HF DD, the 10.5" HF DD, and the 10.5" MF DD. They can hunt in the rain, work in wet grass, take an occasional wave splash, or be hosed off w/o a hitch, but they can't handle the pressure of being submerged. All of the waterproof coils are good to submerge to one meter.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a "few" miles south of these guys (Ohio) and so far the 7.5 DD has been awesome. A year or so ago, I had an Xterra 70 with the 5x10 HF DD coil and didn't really see that great of results with it as compared to the stock MF coil. I had bought the set-up from a guy in New Mexico (on the Findmall forum). He obviously used it to nugget hunt out there.
The MF DD coil has really been a blessing and compliments the already awesome 705 that I own now. I thought I saw a vendor on one of the sites selling new 705s w/MF DD along with the stock coil for a very reasonable price. The 705 would sell great if it came only with the MF DD coil in my opinion.

Yep, that was us with the extra 10.5" MF DD coil offering for a while as a dealer exclusive special.... It was quite popular, and we may ask Minelab to allow us to bring it back for a while. :)

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does bob know something we don't? While I have no need to submerge the 10x6 it's ok to use in wet grass or lightly spray off with care, Longhair? I wanna say it's "resistant" not proof?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread