Missing targets using CTX 3030

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
I have noticed that while detecting on the beach in saltwater mode. I will look down at my screen to see that I had a low tone mark 12-4 or a quarter 12-46 but didn't hear the beep from the detector. I was also hunting one day with a friend who asked me what I thought his target was? As I ran the detector over the area I would get a mark on the screen showing the target 12" deep, but no tone. I have been using beach mode. And have turned my volume gain up from factory settings. I have probably been missing the gold.:icon_scratch:
Any suggestions. Thanks John

AceD3

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2014
Subscribed. I've just swapped my Etrac for a CTX so would be interested to hear the solutions to this.
Don't suppose you thought to try without any discrimination (open screen)?
Btw: I'm a newbie so have no idea what I'm talking about ;-)

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you have headphones on? I've had my CTX lose the external port to the headphones (silence) and then kick back in after several minutes. The screen will still be working. Restarting the CTX doesn't matter - silence, until the audio returns (usually with a loud overshoot and then back to threshold). I've tried submerging the coil, control box, and GG headphones and unplugging and replugging the audio plug. It seems that when I dunk the headphones, they kick back on (but it may be a coincidence). I'm probably the only one experiencing this problem.

The other thing that happens is iron in the soil nulls the threshold - the audio goes dead - but the screen keeps on kicking. The null can be repeating at intervals in highly mineralized soil - turning off the audio every 30-45 seconds and lasting for 20-30 seconds, or so. During the null you can lay the coil on a metal scoop and not get any response, then the audio kicks back on suddenly. Rather irritating.

Of course, if there is DISC'd areas set, you aren't supposed to get an audio tone in those zones. But I figured that wasn't your problem. Generally, if you use a lot of DISC the detector loses sensitivity to weak (deep) signals - which may be your issue. Next time switch to zero DISC and see if you can mitigate the problem. For instance, if you use DISC and get a hit in an adjacent open area, you still may not get any audio but you will get a TID. Theoretically it isn't supposed to work that way, but it still can.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disc'd out iron will still throw false number up on the screen, you just won't here them. If you're friend is hitting targets that you aren't, then you need to start figuring out what changes you need to make to hear those targets unless they are just iron falses or tiny blips of foil and aluminum trash.

OP
OP
jbc465

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
The target in question was a dime at about 10" deep. Which we dug. The coin was out of the water but still in moist sand. And the head phones used the yellow ones. While I was in beach mode I do some time search in wide open screen. I will have to pay more attention on my next trip.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
next time, see if you can find a similar situation, where your buddy can find a target that you can't. Then start playing with settings to see if anything will bring that target in. Try with all different modes, FE-coin, ground-ground, saltwater.... use a completely open screen to make sure you can see everything that registers. Try fast on/off, deep on/off, both on, both off.. you get the idea. Try auto+3, and try manual sens as high as possible.

You didn't mention which detector your friend was using, was it a PI?

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
I have a problem with mine when a Garrett at pro or GTA 1350 get within ten to twenty feet of me I lose all signal no audio or marks on screen until the other detectors move farther away. I thought it was interference and used the noise cancel to change channels but didn't always work.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't hear the tone, watch your screen and you should see the red rectangle coming up on the disc pattern.

You should create / modify a pattern to have a wide open (no disc) pattern !

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could have a notch in your hearing - I've read others discover this - so try different audio pattern.
Of course doesnt usually happen with two guys simultaneously!
Also try pinpoint mode to verify that seems normal. You may also be set for Normal audio respose and could try Smooth instead.
Always good to run target tests up front if you have the time. Some days my CTX seems HOT, others just ok - could be just a setting change or EMI. Try Hitting noise cancel periodically as you move down the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions