Unity Gain Amp-specifically on the Xterra 705 but if you use one comment

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about buying one, not many people know they're even made. If you use one can you tell me your experience? I've searched for reviews all over. Can I adjust tones or just make everything louder? For example a deep high tone that's barely sqeekinh? Make low tones louder? I'm not quite clear on the function?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kellyco sold them up to a year ago. I can't remember how they worked, but you could probably call them for an explanation.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A unity gain amplifier is an amp with a gain of one, hence the word unity. Anything times 1 equals itself, so a unity gain amplifier has no gain. It is often used as a buffer between electronics stages.

The device you speak sounds like it was a detector add on, what did they claim it did? I am always a little skeptical, but interested to hear more about it!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco sold them up to a year ago. I can't remember how they worked, but you could probably call them for an explanation.
They sell LRL's too. So while you're at it ask how they work. :laughing7:

Personally I wouldn't waste one cent on a UGA. Just turn up your volume.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember that they supposedly amplified the sound and thus was able to relegate more power to the coil. Either that or conserve battery. They were like $39 and I believe that went inline with the headphones. Seemed like money for something that may have worked negligibly at best, but I know of someone that stated they work.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not looking at the amp's for increased performance, I want louder sound. If I could adjust tone styles that would be awesome. Before detecting I was a target shooter and hunted ducks for 20 years, those bangs take a toll on a guy's ears. I currently have the sunray pro gold headphones maxed out volume. Not everyone can hear as good as you guys. At max my right ear needs more volume to hear what the left does.
It really must be nice to have more volume than you need. Do you guys enjoy that? Does it help? Turn your detector volumes to 1/3 and the same with your headphones and hunt like that a few months. Let me know after if you would like more volume.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got substantial hearing loss from gunfire, racing engines, and working in front of the stacks on stage at concerts in the '70s, so trust me you're not alone.

If I were you, I'd try other phones. The Pro Golds are a quality set, but something like Gray Ghost Ultimates (for example) might suit you better. I'd sooner change phones than buy a UGA.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hearing loss also, plus constant tinnitus yeah hits me with the double whammy.

Different head phones sound different, even different models from the same manufacture, the gray ghost are great but I do not like their sound, to me they produce a tinny sound, whereas the pro golds offer a sweat mellow sound that suits my hearing loss (Different people, different hearing requirements).

My experience has been with using them on the Explorer Se and SE pro, I cannot nor will I try to say which would work best on the xterra. BUT, what I do suggest is for you to go to a good sized store specialized in detecting explain your problem and I believe and hope, they would be willing to allow you to try several different pairs of head phones out to find which set fits or suits your particular hearing problem.

It is a matter of fitting the head phone to your particular hearing, as one set from one manu would sound great to hunter A but not suit hunter B, and vice versa. Head phones are not a one size fits all type of thing, it's just like each piece of equipment you utilize in your hunting is suited to YOU.

You might also want to touch base with Ralph at sunray and/or detector pro, discuss your hearing problems with each and they might be able to come up with a solution.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I crank up the sound on my Sunrays because of my hearing loss from being in artillery mostly. I have black widows which are loud. People who detect with me can hear the sounds when they are close because I have it so high.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to note....
The Xterra has separate volume settings for speaker and headphones. You have to have the phones plugged in to set the volume on the machine for them. Setting volume without the phones plugged in only controls external speaker volume.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys. I've never hunted W out headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread