8"x6" Detech SEF Butterfly coil on ETrac?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All...
Earlier this year, I got myself a Mighty ETrac. I'm nearing 200hrs in field use. Always with stock coil. I've done well. I use a slightly modified A.Sabisch coin program.
I'm concentrating on grounds of a long gone military school. A bottle dump is still evident next to what I surmise to be an incinerator or coal fired boiler. "Coke", (burned coal), is atop ground and can act as hot-rocks.
An 8"x6" Detech SEF Butterfly coil has been purchased, in hopes of detecting these grounds and avoiding some of the inhospitable target responses.
Question: When using a small aftermarket coil, can you provide information? Sweep speed, sensitivity, number of tones, quickmask, threshold, etc.?
Thanks
Peace ✌

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to run a pair of etracs. i had the 6x8 sef coil and the sunray x5 coils as extras. The 6x8 sef coil may actually be the best coil for the etrac. I dug several 8 inch dimes with mine. Its size does help in the trash/iron. You can generally run your manual sensitivity a little higher and keep machine quiet. Something else too is on "hot ground" the 6x8 will see deeper than both the stock coil and the 10x12 sef coils. The only thing I could see maybe to watch when using the 6x8 coil is the etrac depth meter will be off slightly. You have purchased a nice coil for sure.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tnsharpshooter! I've never considered a smaller coil gaining depth. I will implement 6"x8" on next hunt.
Peace ✌

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On neutral ground the bigger coil will usually see deeper. There comes a point as the ground gets more difficult to where a somewhat smaller coil will see deeper. It has to do with how much ground the detector is seeing. You would be surprised for instance as the difference between a 9 inch coil vs 11" coil. It's huge and nothing linear about it in your thinking. There is info about if you research. Most of the time what usually happens on average ground is the coverage is increased and depth stays about the same. And mist times when going to monster size coil, one has to back their detector off in the sensitivity dept. And big coils make detectors heavy. I'm not much into coils over 11" wide. The sunray X-5 I mentioned is a great coil as well. The best I can remember I was banging 7 inch dimes with it and most times I could run my etrac at 30 manual with machine quiet. Plus the X-5 hits very well on the smallest of high conductors. Tell you a little story. My brother had me accompany him to an old house. He had been there several times before with Ace 250 and White's V3i. I noticed when we were detecting he didn't go close to the back porch so I figured he had hunted it hard on previous hunts. Well as I swept around the back porch Ii get a good 12-45 signal. There were numerous nonferrous all around this spot. I dug and retrieved a real small button off of an old navy uniform. My brother was pissed knowing he had pounded that area. Guess what brand he mysteriously turned up with??? And the same thing had happened before on 2 other occassions. Cheers and enjoy your etrac. If interested in X-5 coil try and buy used and save some bucks.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again tnsharpshooter! Great info.
How a solid 12-45 response can be missed by any other machine seriously shows the power of an ETrac.
I looked at White's V3i. Not sure why, but it didn't seem to suit me?
I will investigate the X-5.
Peace ✌

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the X5- but I found that the ferrous number dropped a bit below the 12 line with good targets.... Just a little, but noticeable.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fort Bedford.
Off topic question; Have you been able to locate genuine Minelab tee-shirts? I called earlier this year and only "polos" were available.
Thanks
Peace

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CincinnatiKid - sorry, no luck on the T shirts. Just the polos are available, and unfortunately the price went up on those.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fort Bedford.
I noticed the price increase. What a shame. Not like they're made by Ralph Lauren? ;)
Seriously though, tee shirts are much more comfortable when diggin'. I don't understand why ML doesn't have them readily available?
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread