Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly my point. There obviously must be a demand, or companies such as NEL would not make one! I doubt it would be cost effective if there was no demand. Many people have purchased & are using NEL coils on there X-Terra's. If MINELAB offered a similar sized 7.5 khz (waterproof) DD, I doubt NEL would even bother with making one, or the sales of said coils would see a huge drop, or perhaps be eventually discontinued entirely by NEL. Give customers what they want, & they won't need to go elsewhere. JMHO.
When you have nothing invested in R&D because you stole the technology it's easy to price your stuff cheap, because you have virtually no cost to recover.

BTW, ALL Coiltek coils for Xterras are now waterproof. Only the first 342 Digger coils were water resistant.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you have nothing invested in R&D because you stole the technology it's easy to price your stuff cheap, because you have virtually no cost to recover.

BTW, ALL Coiltek coils for Xterras are now waterproof. Only the first 342 Digger coils were water resistant.

Totally makes sense. But Minelab could make the coil people want & charge the same price it does for their other 6" coils. Why not just make the smaller coils (so they are a reasonable price) & pass the larger coils (wot, etc.) on to CoilTek? This way people aren't paying the extra $50 for the technology ML already can produce; & probably cheaper than CoilTek can, as they currently have all the tooling, etc...If there is no demand I can understand, but it seems that ML left a hole in the XT coil availability, by only offering 6" DD coils in ONE frequency. I love my 505 (as most of you know) & wouldn't give it up. Part of the beauty of the X-Terra is the flexability to tailor it to your needs. Not offering these coils and not allowing other coils to be used really limits your options & is counter-productive to the X-Terra's greatest asset.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took us years to get more than one 3kHz coil, and then it came from Coiltek.
It ticked off a bunch of us that Minelab had 8 coils available for Xterras, and four of those were HF (18.75kHz), three were MF (7.5kHz), while there was only a 9" concentric in 3kHz.

I do not profess to know why Minelab does what they do, but I have a strong hunch that they originally intended the Xterra to be bigger with prospectors and relic hunters than coin shooters.

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whether or not it is designed for the X-Terra is one thing, but they do make a coil for use with the X-Terra, that has had positive reviews. I would not buy one due to infringement issues as well as warranty issues. I have the 6" 18.75khz DD & the 10.5" 7.5 khz. These Minelab coils suit me fine. I WILL NOT buy a CoilTek coil, as I think they are overpriced! If Minelab can sell a WATERPROOF 6" DD HF coil for $145, why must CoilTek charge $50 more for a non-waterproof (at least it originally was) 6" 3khz coil? Instead of ML making coils people would really like, they pass it off to CoilTek so the customer gets to pay more. Yeah, sign me up!

I agree that the cost of the coilteks are inflated compared to others. With the infringement issues that the NEL coils have that leaves Minelab as my only choice. I had first decided that I wanted a larger 7.5 kHz coil to cover ground faster, but after I realized I don't do anything fast, I think a 18.75 kHz for doing a little jewelry hunting may be the way to go.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the cost of the coilteks are inflated compared to others. With the infringement issues that the NEL coils have that leaves Minelab as my only choice. I had first decided that I wanted a larger 7.5 kHz coil to cover ground faster, but after I realized I don't do anything fast, I think a 18.75 kHz for doing a little jewelry hunting may be the way to go.

Actually a brilliant business plan, just think once the etrac and safari are gone and it's all vflex and fbs2 mine lab and coiltec will be the only coils period. Next maybe they could put a chip in their digger and that would be the only one that would work with their detectors. I've used my 705 enough that a coil is a coil no magic except to force you to buy approved coils. I just hope no other company goes this route.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hope no other company goes this route.
You mean like XP and their Deus? Ever priced any of those coils? Or checked to see what aftermarket companies are offering them?
If you want technological advancement in detectors to halt, just keep doing and thinking as you are.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean like XP and their Deus? Ever priced any of those coils? Or checked to see what aftermarket companies are offering them?
If you want technological advancement in detectors to halt, just keep doing and thinking as you are.

That the difference you think vflex is something special and I think it is just a way to force approved coils.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The 6" 18.75 khz DD is a great little coil! After using the 10.5 for awhiIe the little 6" coil seems much more responsive & fast. I find nickels with it much more than with my 7.5 khz coil (eventually one of those 'nickels' will be a gold ring, lol). I prefer it over the larger coil when hunting jewelry in newer parks, or relics/coins in super trashy old sites. It hits a bit harder on iron, but the separation it offers is worth it.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That the difference you think vflex is something special and I think it is just a way to force approved coils.
If you don't think that digital is different from analog and is a significant change in technology, or that there might be special coil requirements due to V-Flex being digital, then you can be wrong and stay in the stone age if you wish.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't think that digital is different from analog and is a significant change in technology, or that there might be special coil requirements due to V-Flex being digital, then you can be wrong and stay in the stone age if you wish.

And you can keep peeing down my back and telling me it's raining.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
has anyone read Randy Hortons ebook-it has a Q&A with the designer of vflex and he gives the explanation of vflex and what the advantages are.
I don't think the xterra coils are all that pricy anyway so why mess with nels?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has anyone read Randy Hortons ebook-it has a Q&A with the designer of vflex and he gives the explanation of vflex and what the advantages are.
I don't think the xterra coils are all that pricy anyway so why mess with nels?

The only reason would be that Minelab does NOT make a 7.5 khz coil in a DD configuration, other than the large 10.5 DD (which is a great coil, but not waterproof).

Last edited:

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's The Great One's!!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have tried several NEL coils on ALL of my X-Terra's and they are hit & miss on performance, so I quit wasting my money and taking a loss on reselling them. A couple of them would work in tracking, but would NOT manually ground balance. As far as depth. the 10.5DD coil is still the king. Just my take on the NEL and I have used ALL of the X-Terra's since they were introduced. I will never buy another one, and don't recommend them to anyone that has a X-Terra.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried several NEL coils on ALL of my X-Terra's and they are hit & miss on performance, so I quit wasting my money and taking a loss on reselling them. A couple of them would work in tracking, but would NOT manually ground balance. As far as depth. the 10.5DD coil is still the king. Just my take on the NEL and I have used ALL of the X-Terra's since they were introduced. I will never buy another one, and don't recommend them to anyone that has a X-Terra.

I'm totally happy with my 10.5 MF DD, but a smaller one would be very useful! I would rather not take the chance on NEL.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no issue with NEL producing coils for any machine except Xterras and the CTX, as they are the only ones that are patented technology.
If you want to buy a NEL for your Sov, E-trac, F-75, or AT-Pro....knock yourself out.
I'm over near Lansing, but do get over to your area from time to time. Maybe we can get together for a hunt at some point.
Have you looked into joining the Michigan Treasure Hunters? If you do, I'll probably catch you at a meeting (in Livonia).

This discussion was interesting and I am a member of Michigan Treasure Hunters. I recently acquired a xTerra and I am in the learning stage. This coil information was very useful because I will be looking for a 18 kHz Coil this spring.

olds442_hurst

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 705 with various coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have the new 5.5 x 9.5 7.5khz sharpshooter from nel and all i had to do was plug it in and turn it on like always....it even recognizes it with the coil id feature as dm like it should.

olds442_hurst

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 705 with various coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
um didn't come with mine but i got mine from an authorized usa dealer maybe that's why? idk but i only had to plug mine in and use it like my minelab coils with no issue. it shows up as it is suppose to when you use the coil id feature as dm for double d medium frequency. i got it at Colonial Metal Detectors and Treasure Hunting Supplies rich is a really cool guy and gives great deals. regards mike

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
um didn't come with mine but i got mine from an authorized usa dealer maybe that's why? idk but i only had to plug mine in and use it like my minelab coils with no issue. it shows up as it is suppose to when you use the coil id feature as dm for double d medium frequency. i got it at Colonial Metal Detectors and Treasure Hunting Supplies rich is a really cool guy and gives great deals. regards mike

Mine works awsome. Just put it on and go. I guess the new ones are altered to try and reject the nel coils. There are dealers on this forum that sell them also.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything that you subsidize you get more of. If you want thieves to ruin your hobby...just keep paying them instead of legitimate innovators and it won't be long before all you have is outdated junk to hunt with.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything that you subsidize you get more of. If you want thieves to ruin your hobby...just keep paying them instead of legitimate innovators and it won't be long before all you have is outdated junk to hunt with.

Mine lab obviously is showing their hand with the go find calling them vflex. I suppose they are super wazoo magic coils also. I don't buy into mine lab extortion forcing you to buy their coils. Noone else is and you will never convince me that they are anything but a coil. No magic hocus pocus. And yes I've read the advertisement but after owning one still see no magic. The only mine lab I will buy for now on will be an etrac. None of this bull crap fbs2 or vflex. Next we will car companies mandating we can only use their tires.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread