olds442_hurst

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 705 with various coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so after all i have read on here i finally just said to heck with it and emailed minelab about these coils and this was the response....Hello Mike,
The usage does not void your warranty, its more like, if that coil causes any damage to your machine
it will not be covered by your warranty. Hope that helps.
Sincerely,
John Watson
Customer Care Technician
Minelab Americas | 1938 University Lane, Ste. A, Lisle, IL 60532
T: 1-630-401-8163 | F: 1-630-401-8185 | E: [email protected]

W E C H A N G E P E O P L E' S F O R T U N E S
SDC 2300 Finding gold with Minelab is now child's play
cid:AE598438-F51C-4D8C-A00E-6777319D8F55
Follow us by clicking: cid:079F70BB-C78A-4E40-8E8E-7EFE3EEDF116 cid:279559A3-9B87-4D4C-8121-DFA328A7BA1E cid:69050F80-CDF4-46BE-B1E0-28AB2E2CB25D

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so after all i have read on here i finally just said to heck with it and emailed minelab about these coils and this was the response....Hello Mike,
The usage does not void your warranty, its more like, if that coil causes any damage to your machine
it will not be covered by your warranty. Hope that helps.
Sincerely,
John Watson
Customer Care Technician
Minelab Americas | 1938 University Lane, Ste. A, Lisle, IL 60532
T: 1-630-401-8163 | F: 1-630-401-8185 | E: [email protected]

W E C H A N G E P E O P L E' S F O R T U N E S
SDC 2300 Finding gold with Minelab is now child's play
cid:AE598438-F51C-4D8C-A00E-6777319D8F55
Follow us by clicking: cid:079F70BB-C78A-4E40-8E8E-7EFE3EEDF116 cid:279559A3-9B87-4D4C-8121-DFA328A7BA1E cid:69050F80-CDF4-46BE-B1E0-28AB2E2CB25D

So, John did not even try to dissuade you from using NEL coils? Why all the uproar then? You heard it straight from the horses mouth. Thanks for the info!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, John did not even try to dissuade you from using NEL coils? Why all the uproar then? You heard it straight from the horses mouth. Thanks for the info!
It's not his job to try to tell you what to do with your machine. And he can't tell you that it could hurt your machine either, but he did say that if it did it would not be covered. He could have said that using authorized coils wouldn't hurt your machine, or that using authorized coils would not void your warranty, but the specific question posed to him likely had something to do with the response that he gave too.

I don't know why people are so willing to behave like spoiled children and risk their machines, and reward thieves, because they might save a couple dollars. I always thought that if you're looking for "an edge" that you'd want to buy quality gear, not pirated crap.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not his job to try to tell you what to do with your machine. And he can't tell you that it could hurt your machine either, but he did say that if it did it would not be covered. He could have said that using authorized coils wouldn't hurt your machine, or that using authorized coils would not void your warranty, but the specific question posed to him likely had something to do with the response that he gave too.

I don't know why people are so willing to behave like spoiled children and risk their machines, and reward thieves, because they might save a couple dollars. I always thought that if you're looking for "an edge" that you'd want to buy quality gear, not pirated crap.

I got mine before I new anything about the conflict. That being said they work great and you keep saying they are inferior and that isn't true. It's the direction mine lab is going mandated which coils to use that I have a problem with. Only other I know of is the xp and it is also the only one that isn't just a coil being wireless. I will never believe that vflex is anything but a marketing strategy to force using their coils.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine before I new anything about the conflict. That being said they work great and you keep saying they are inferior and that isn't true. It's the direction mine lab is going mandated which coils to use that I have a problem with. Only other I know of is the xp and it is also the only one that isn't just a coil being wireless. I will never believe that vflex is anything but a marketing strategy to force using their coils.

You know, if one speaks with a guy who works AT Minelab & he doesn't really seem to care whether one uses a NEL coil, why are others who do not even work for Minelab so against it? Some people would say 'Minelab is not American, be a patriot'. I like my Minelab because it works good, regardless of being an Aussie brand. Same reason I would get a NEL coil: Because it works good & ML does NOT offer an alternative

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the 9" 7.5 kHz and a 5x10" 18.75 kHz Minelab coils when I purchased my 705 and I an happy with both. I may add a 6" 3 kHz digger coil later, but I have no desire to own a Nel coil that Minelab won't cover damages that may be caused by using it, JMHO. Good luck in finding a coil that fits your needs. HH

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the 9" 7.5 kHz and a 5x10" 18.75 kHz Minelab coils when I purchased my 705 and I an happy with both. I may add a 6" 3 kHz digger coil later, but I have no desire to own a Nel coil that Minelab won't cover damages that may be caused by using it, JMHO. Good luck in finding a coil that fits your needs. HH

I have never heard of or seen a post on this or any other forum where a exterra has been damaged by a nel coil. If anyone knows of one I would like,to see it. Preferably an older one as in not in the last couple days.
Post that is.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard of or seen a post on this or any other forum where a exterra has been damaged by a nel coil. If anyone knows of one I would like,to see it. Preferably an older one as in not in the last couple days.
Post that is.

Beat me to it! I was gonna say the same. Just because ML cannot warranty damage due to aftermarket coils does not mean said coils will cause any damage. I don't believe ANY brand would warranty damage due to using a NEL coil. I don't think it should be a concern, as NEL knows coils & I'm sure they have not had problems with coils damaging a machine.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
The technology used in having a coil communicate with the detector is mobile phone technology which was not invented by Minelab...... not even because they employed an ex Telstra mobile phone technician for a time....... fact is a NEL coil enhances the use of my XTerras to the point where the HF Hunter coil is the only coil used on my XTerra-70, be it on one of our gold fields or on a salt water beach......Had a couple of the so called authorized 15" WOT coils, they work fine just to big and heavy for what I do and that is the whole point to match the coil and detector to your detecting preference/pleasure.......... Lucky for us Bigfoot and his Bear friends are Not Authorized by Oz and do not get invited to any of our Minelabbing Days. .....................................
Project2_a.jpg
.............................. ivanll

Badlands Hunter1

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2015
Dakotas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean like XP and their Deus? Ever priced any of those coils? Or checked to see what aftermarket companies are offering them?
If you want technological advancement in detectors to halt, just keep doing and thinking as you are.

I'm a newbie to the forum but it comes to me in this way. Your posts are a little strong flavored and it tends to drive me away from your view. I would tend to go buy myself a NEL Coils coil just because I can. After all this is America and we are for the "little guy" with the great new idea. Only now it's on a global scale. Nice to see some friendly competition from Eastern Europe they've finally stepped up to the plate on several fronts. Now back to NEL Coils. They're actually Ukrainian and we maybe could be supportive of their willingness to work harder toward a strong economically viable independent company that's willing to invest technically into their future growth. I may be wrong but it's my understanding that they have developed a coil for the Minelab X-Terra that will run on all three frequencies at once. Sorry but I can't help but root for them. I don't get your position that NEL Coils will harm Minelab in anyway shape or form. Since NEL Coils is making the Minelab X-Terra indispensable with their superior coils. I maybe wrong about maybe too much copying of technology or "reverse-engineering", as you call it. But to be perfectly honest I think Minelab, Garrett and others should be quite happy that NEL Coils builds for some of their machines. If it was me I would be quite happy about my position because they are building for at least one of my machines with great compatible coils possibly driving demand even further. This was one of the most important deciding factors for me... was that NEL Coils were available for Minelab X-Terra 705. That was a deciding factor in why I purchased an X-Terra 705. Whether I ever purchase a NEL is yet to be determined... but I like the option to eventually be able to purchase a NEL Coil or two if I would ever decide to go that route. Your tone, tenor, or whatever you want to call it... in this and other forums is likely to backfire more than help your cause. I have no ties of any sort to NEL Coils or to the Ukrainian's in general... although there are many "long ago" emigrants that settled in N.D. I just like to see the far-flung pockets of the world that have been suppressed for a long, long time finally come back out of the "dark ages" so to speak. Technology can sometimes be a wonderful thing... even like some of Minelab's production in Malaysia. Just a thought- a little softer verbiage and tone and you're view may be taken to heart... You can't make people do anything but with proper etiquette, and get this... NO accusations you may "WIN" people to your side.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a newbie to the forum but it comes to me in this way. Your posts are a little strong flavored and it tends to drive me away from your view. I would tend to go buy myself a NEL Coils coil just because I can. After all this is America and we are for the "little guy" with the great new idea. Only now it's on a global scale. Nice to see some friendly competition from Eastern Europe they've finally stepped up to the plate on several fronts. Now back to NEL Coils. They're actually Ukrainian and we maybe could be supportive of their willingness to work harder toward a strong economically viable independent company that's willing to invest technically into their future growth. I may be wrong but it's my understanding that they have developed a coil for the Minelab X-Terra that will run on all three frequencies at once. Sorry but I can't help but root for them. I don't get your position that NEL Coils will harm Minelab in anyway shape or form. Since NEL Coils is making the Minelab X-Terra indispensable with their superior coils. I maybe wrong about maybe too much copying of technology or "reverse-engineering", as you call it. But to be perfectly honest I think Minelab, Garrett and others should be quite happy that NEL Coils builds for some of their machines. If it was me I would be quite happy about my position because they are building for at least one of my machines with great compatible coils possibly driving demand even further. This was one of the most important deciding factors for me... was that NEL Coils were available for Minelab X-Terra 705. That was a deciding factor in why I purchased an X-Terra 705. Whether I ever purchase a NEL is yet to be determined... but I like the option to eventually be able to purchase a NEL Coil or two if I would ever decide to go that route. Your tone, tenor, or whatever you want to call it... in this and other forums is likely to backfire more than help your cause. I have no ties of any sort to NEL Coils or to the Ukrainian's in general... although there are many "long ago" emigrants that settled in N.D. I just like to see the far-flung pockets of the world that have been suppressed for a long, long time finally come back out of the "dark ages" so to speak. Technology can sometimes be a wonderful thing... even like some of Minelab's production in Malaysia. Just a thought- a little softer verbiage and tone and you're view may be taken to heart... You can't make people do anything but with proper etiquette, and get this... NO accusations you may "WIN" people to your side.

I was tired of being shamed into not getting a NEL for my Minelab. Now that I no longer have my X-Terra 505, I have a NEL Sharpshooter on the way for my Omega 8000. I don't feel guilty at all now getting the NEL as opposed to a Teknetics brand coil.

deepclaw

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people would say 'Minelab is not American, be a patriot'. I like my Minelab because it works good, regardless of being an Aussie brand.
Sidenote:
I didn't even know they were Australian until you mentioned that, and I live here.
Contact details for Minelab

You can buy them overseas cheaper than the local dealers I've looked at. Insanity.
End of sidenote.

deepclaw

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already told you. The chip is required! It's part of what V-Flex is. Without it your machine would display CE (coil error).
I have no problem with NEL selling coils that are just wound copper wire in an epoxy filled plastic enclosure....like the Garrett, FTP, Whites, or even Minelab FBS.
FBS2 and V-Flex ARE DIFFERENT!
As a new user of a Minelab, I feel a bit dirty buying the 705 knowing it has gone down this chip road. Because I really don't see the benefits to the users. Usually these sorts of things are done for the manufacturer's self-interest, just like the printer manufacturers.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a new user of a Minelab, I feel a bit dirty buying the 705 knowing it has gone down this chip road. Because I really don't see the benefits to the users. Usually these sorts of things are done for the manufacturer's self-interest, just like the printer manufacturers.

It is a great machine, but I would NOT be dissuaded from using a NEL coil. I purchased a NEL Sharpshooter for another detector & it performs great, as well as being fully waterproof. Almost wish I would have gotten a NEL for my X-Terra before deciding to sell it, seeing as ML refuses to make a 7.5 khz DD coil under 10.5" that is waterproof. No regrets though.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seems to be the direction minelab is going. First the exterras now the fb2 as in the 3030. I don't like it and won't participate. I believe it adds nothing to performance.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be the direction minelab is going. First the exterras now the fb2 as in the 3030. I don't like it and won't participate. I believe it adds nothing to performance.

I too have moved on & I won't participate any longer.

snapperhead

Jun 9, 2015
PNW (Washington)
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705 w/ stock 7.5 khz concentric coil, 3.5 khz "digger" 6" coil, 3.5 khz 15" WOT. (Noobie to Minelab)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The parks in Royal Oak (Marais, especially) were spitting out silver 8 years ago. (With an MXT)
Give it a shot. Bottom of the sledding hill and slightly East is where the original farm house stood.

Good luck.

SH

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is all good stuff. ANSWER ! HEY NEL, add to your coil warranties if any detectors are damaged because of installation of our coils. WE WILL BUY YOUR MACHINE AND OUR COIL BACK. Just send your receipts with !!!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wwh
This is all good stuff. ANSWER ! HEY NEL, add to your coil warranties if any detectors are damaged because of installation of our coils. WE WILL BUY YOUR MACHINE AND OUR COIL BACK. Just send your receipts with !!!

I've asked before if anyone has seen a post here or anywhere else of a nel coil hurting a detector and nothing was mentioned. Just a scare tactic from minelab. If you'll notice all of their new detectors will only use their coil or the other who ever makes the litter digger coil which they are in bed with anyway.

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My guess is the chip tells the PC what freq to run. Nels coil requires the PC to test for which freq to use ! Remember, competition lowers cost !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread