XTerra 705 and NEL coils?

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all about $$$$$$$. All they have to do is build the best product. Have the best accessories. Have the best service !;! That's it !!! in my opinion, they build the best product !!; They are lacking in accessories!;! And Service. Well. Forget it, they want us to spend big $%$$$%$ after the warranties run out. $ 900.00 on a machine and wont repair after said warranties or 5 years what ever. My Explorer is 15 years old. When it tears up, ill chuck it and find another used one. I'll never buy a new Minelab, they don't stand behind them long enough to be worth the big $$%%$$$

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That said. I'll buy a used minelab for $400.00 to $450.00 before I would buy any other brands detector new at 400 to 450.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is the chip tells the PC what freq to run. Nels coil requires the PC to test for which freq to use ! Remember, competition lowers cost !!!

Competition also strengthens the breed, ML needs to get on board! A NEL will not damage a detector. If someone has proof otherwise, I would love to hear it.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The argument that Nel coils are stealing Minelab Tech is bogus. Nel has patented their 3 frequency coil. If they were infringing on Minelab they would not have been able to patent the coil. They would have been sued, and their coils not allowed to be imported. That said. Use of any aftermarket accessory is usually not covered buy the original manufacturer. Doesn't make the make the accessory bad. But no manufacturer can cover the liability of another especially if they are not getting a piece of the action. It is the responsibility of the consumer to do the research on the accessory and see if it is a product that has quality and increases the performance of their machine. Innovation and competition are good things. How many years did we complain about Garrett propointers falsing and not waterproof? If it weren't for foreign companies like Deteknics coming out with pinpointers that were cheaper non-falsing and waterproof, Garrett never would have given us a non-falsing waterproof propointer.

Last edited:

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is an old thread, but I just read all 6 pages of it anyway; I have an X-Terra 705 and am interested in available coils. The information about the newer X-Terra's giving a CE (coil error) now, if the chip is not detected, when earlier 705's worked, and gave no such message, reminds me of when Nikon (and possibly others) started putting a chip in their battery packs. Many aftermarket battery manufacturers made and sold rechargeable batteries that were far less expensive, performed as well (sometimes better) than oem batteries. Then Nikon installs a little circuit in the battery, and if not detected, the battery will not work in the camera.

I'm not convinced that NEL has stolen anything from ML. It stands to reason that they could build a coil that would work with the "secret technology" of ML, without infringing on any patents, by coming up with another method that would be compatible with the detector. Maybe someone will take the time to do a patent search of the ML V-Flex technical description, and that of NEL's 3-freq coil. Seems it would become obvious if somebody reverse-enginered the chip, and copied it, or came up with a totally new way to make a coil work on an X-Terra.

May not be much, but that's all I've got.

Last edited:

Utah Digger

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250, Minelab xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So its been two years now that this thread was made. What are your thoughts now? I bought the X-terra 705 3 weeks ago and I'm looking to buy the (NEL attack coil) for it.

Utah Digger

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250, Minelab xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
absolutley sir. Oohrah!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread