Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Practice first with the factory preset settings and when you feel comfortable with that and digging targets that pretty much tell you what the object is then try the all metal mode. I found that a hand forged nail can give me the same target ID number as does a half dollar. Numbers do mean something on metal detecting but not everything. I started out using the present 1 Setting on my X-Terra 505 for over six months and found plenty of nice relics so don't get intimidated.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a first time detectorist, so what tips do you have for me, specific to this model?
Go slow! Not that it's a slow machine, but you can't swing it like a weedeater either. Swing too fast and you'll experience more falsing that to a new user may appear to be instability.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, the 305 is a good machine! I have a 305 and a 505.. one tip I can give you is when you get a good solid tone you move thr coil over it a short distance side to side repetedly and while doing this move backwards slowly! when you hear the signal at the edge of target change tones by falling off with different tones its probably trash---if tone is same and just quits it a good target..there is a lot of factors judging how targets are interpited and it does take a while to get proficient. another thing is to hunt using the 99 tone setting! also ground balance often,to keep it from getting improper readings...Hope this helps--pay attention to sound variations closely and you will be up to speed with the rest of us in no time!!! Great machine!! if u have anymore questions please feel free to pm me..i'm no expert but have swung that machine for a few hundred hours!!

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's The Great One's!!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, X-Terra's Rule!! I've got 2 70's and a 30. Put a 10.5DD coil on that bad boy, and it will rock!!!!

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 305 has a different notch VID than the 705, quarter deep 36 shallow 40, dimes, copper pennies 34-36 zink 28-30 nickel 12. Instead of learning the machine twice, start in All metal, dig everything except iron (unless you want it) play with GB. You want a slight raise in sound going down. Slight... GL

chriskellyco

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Sep 30, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett AT Pro/Ace 350, Minelab CTX 3030/E-Trac/Excal II, White's Coinmaster GT, Nokta FORS CoRe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy Hunting!!

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you have a good time with it I hadn't been out detecting for about 8 or 9 years and purchased mine where you did if you've been out already you know once your on a good target you can't mistake it when I hit my first coin with it the tone was just dead on a bright sounding,and I wasn't long before I was messing around with discrimination etc its a pretty simple detector to use.

OP
OP
iontyre

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I've had some basic finds; a dime, two lincolns, and some bottle caps. I've been a bit frustrated with getting what seem like good signals (32 - 40) and indications its near the surface (one arrow) but not finding anything. I even wave it over the hole I dig (maybe 4 - 6 inch hole) and I'm still getting the signal saying its no more than two inches down but not finding anything. There sure isn't any coin floating in mid-air in the hole! Weird.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions