cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Coiltek coils. The 15"WOT for large fields, beaches, and other less junky areas, and the 5X10 Joey for trashy areas. The X-5 coil is also great for trashy sites.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know ive been asking a lot about the E-trac lately thats what im going to go for this year instead of the CTX ( due to money ). But my next question is Search Coils. What do you have what do you recommend and what do you think is best if the Factory coil isnt the best or is there other coils that can do what the factory coil can not do.

Coiltek make the most sensitive coils out for Minelab. Coiltek Coils from BigBoysHobbies | BigBoysHobbies

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I third on the Coil Tek coils. I have Coil Tek coils on the CTX, Etrac and when I had the 705 and they pick through trash better then anything.

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a 6" EQ Pro 2 by Detech thats pretty good at getting around the trash...Just got a nice used sunray X-5 and X-8 to test
out this year...I also have a Detech Ultimate that I'm going to try as well! I do have a Coiltek WOT that I really Like for a large
area with little trash...I run an Open screen with it..Hard to beat the Coiltek "Quality" though!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have a 6" EQ Pro 2 by Detech thats pretty good at getting around the trash...Just got a nice used sunray X-5 and X-8 to test
out this year...I also have a Detech Ultimate that I'm going to try as well! I do have a Coiltek WOT that I really Like for a large
area with little trash...I run an Open screen with it..Hard to beat the Coiltek "Quality" though!!

Agreed! I was a HUGE sun ray x-5 guy till Coiltek made this.... Coiltek 6" Treasureseeker coil | BigBoysHobbies.

Much improved sensitivity and stability.

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! I was a HUGE sun ray x-5 guy till Coiltek made this.... Coiltek 6" Treasureseeker coil | BigBoysHobbies.

Much improved sensitivity and stability.
Here we go again! Another small coil I will have to check out!
The Smaller coils for the Etrac to me Should be the First Accessory
Coils Purchased.....They make a world of difference in separating
or Hearing that Coin among Iron! PM Me Bart about your thoughts Comparing the Detech
EQ Pro 2 the X-5 against the 6" coiltek

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe keep your money and go for a CTX?........with a 10x5 Joey from Coiltek, a Killer :laughing7:

here's what you can find with it:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/448111-550-bc-coin-found-scuba-detection-ctx.html

roundup-MAE-COIN.jpg

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we go again! Another small coil I will have to check out!
The Smaller coils for the Etrac to me Should be the First Accessory
Coils Purchased.....They make a world of difference in separating
or Hearing that Coin among Iron! PM Me Bart about your thoughts Comparing the Detech
EQ Pro 2 the X-5 against the 6" coiltek
i have tried all the small coils on the E-Trac. The coiltleks are noticibly more sensitive. You will notice it won't run as hot on auto sensitivity as it is more sensitive naturally.

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have tried all the small coils on the E-Trac. The coiltleks are noticibly more sensitive. You will notice it won't run as hot on auto sensitivity as it is more sensitive naturally.
Was the test you performed on the small coils done with targets in the Ground? What about target separation between the
small coils?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was the test you performed on the small coils done with targets in the Ground? What about target separation between the
small coils?

Yes all done in real world conditions. Most people know FBS machines do NOT air test well. Air tests or freshly planted coins for FBS machines really tell you nothing.

Coiltek separates as good or better than the other. Main think I notice is more stability and runs lower sensitivity because they are hotter.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
+1 Do not except any gain of separation with iron, BUT you will have a better clear signal espacially on low conductors. Very effective on relics search. I use the Coilteck coils to avoid digging everything when I'm focused on certain targets, in a way these are coils for "advance search".

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stock coil is a very good everyday coil. An aftermarket coil for sure isn't a "must buy" for the e-trac in my opinion.

I've been using a 13" Ultimate Coil by Detech for a couple of months now. It seems to be at least as good as the stock coil "in the iron", it pinpoints more accurately than the stock (at least for me), and it should be a little deeper. I've found a couple of items that I'm not sure the stock coil would have found, but there is absolutely no way to know that for sure.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Sunray 8" coil for parks, and trashy areas. PLENTY of depth, very high sensitivity to small targets. Remember with the Etrac you will want to get at least an extra lower rod for every coil you get, and if you want to change coils really fast you will want upper and lower rods for each coil. Getting the curly coil wire section up through the shafts is a real pain.

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Sunray 8" coil for parks, and trashy areas. PLENTY of depth, very high sensitivity to small targets. Remember with the Etrac you will want to get at least an extra lower rod for every coil you get, and if you want to change coils really fast you will want upper and lower rods for each coil. Getting the curly coil wire section up through the shafts is a real pain.[/QUOTE
I received a Sunray X 8 awhile back but haven't used it yet...I also have the X5 and a 6" eq pro...I'm hoping
the x-8 will be the better overall small coil for trashier area's with good depth compared to the smaller coils,
Time will tell...I would really like to find a smaller coil that will work closer to steel reinforced concrete, so
hopefully the X-5 will help there...

aussiedetect

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Sunray 8" coil for parks, and trashy areas. PLENTY of depth, very high sensitivity to small targets. Remember with the Etrac you will want to get at least an extra lower rod for every coil you get, and if you want to change coils really fast you will want upper and lower rods for each coil. Getting the curly coil wire section up through the shafts is a real pain.

HI,
I tie a shoe lace to to connector on the cable then just pull it through....changed my world!!!

cheers

jibster

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2008
Kent
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys. I have been using the Detech 13" ultimate on my Explorer SE and I love it. It bangs really well on silver and copper and I have noticed that if I slow down on my swings it finds all targets separately. I have had some good finds on spots that I wasn't finding anything on with the pro coil any more. These hotspots are ones I have been hitting hard for a while now for many hours as I have had good finds there in the past.

It gets a thumbs up from me.

Happy hunting :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread