Make a real waterproof CTX 3030 - scuba diving experience!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm finishing a video on the MODS of the CTX3030 and the video has been previewed by Minelab staff (...) as I don't want to make any Minelab bashing and things that could avoid warranty.

I scuba hunt with my CTX almost 2 times a week from -5ft to -50ft without any issues at all. Maybe I'm lucky but trust me it's a fantastic machine down there especially on very productive beaches (many sinks, old coins, pieces of aluminium etc).

To complete the Waterproofing process, I use a fantastic bone phone that I can put under my diving suite :

IMG_0863.JPG

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold my CTX last week and then purchased a new one! Great way to upgrade the warranty Lol!
Thanks for all your efforts to share the CTX 3030 experience!
Best of Luck!
Rusty

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold my CTX last week and then purchased a new one! Great way to upgrade the warranty Lol!
Best of Luck!
Rusty

That's what I did also with all my Excliburs, keep them for 12 month then sold them to avoid any problems. I maybe should think to do the same for my ctx...

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of Luck!
Rusty

To late for mine. I have less then 7 months left. Lol

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frogmaster, like your video ... but the USB Port O-ring size is given in the video as 19.5-20mm X 2mm NBR70 ...

The package you open in the video is for a 20mm X 2.90mm O-ring, much thicker ...

I'm thinking a mid-size would probably be adequate, 20mm X 2.65mm O-ring.

Do you think the 2mm thickness for the USB port is too thin?

Also, is it necessary to remove the inner rubber seal inside the cap? Thanks.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Leave the inner rubber in place, just make sure it ok (you can buy new one along with the end cap from Minelab).

Will check the size this week end. I extensively use my CTX 3030 underwater (scuba) since a few weeks now and I am in the process of validating other solutions for the USB, will get back to you shortly.

Mirlen

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX-3030, White's V3i, White's Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What sealant works good that's in the USA? Akfix 100e is the only one I saw that has the lower tensile strength, Loctite 5331 is nowhere to be found...

beachdude

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2012
Toronto & South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, White's Dual Field, CTX, M6
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can you please tell me exactly what O rings to order for the USB port and the main battery compartment for scuba depth and where to order them from?

Thanks!

i.timchenko

May 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys very informative information . Yesterday, for the first time I went into the water and drip device : on connectors green flush .... The question is not whether the brains leaked from the battery compartment ? I am from Ukraine, Kiev.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the 79x3.00 o-rings from the link provided and it seems like they are about an inch too long and don't want to fit flat in place. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Thanks Jack!

To sum the discussion up - looked at dozens of US O-ring sites (some sell in packages of 50+), these are closest to what might work and are also fairly cheap:

USB PORT REPLACEMENT O-RINGS
ID = Inside Diameter CS = Cross section (thickness)

20.0mm (ID) x 2.65mm (CS) N70 Price: $1.18 - MEDIUM
2.65mm X 20mm Metric Buna-N 70 O-ring Single [N2.65X020] : O-Rings - The O-Ring Store, We make getting O-Rings easy!

BATTERY CASE REPLACEMENT O-RINGS
ID = Inside Diameter CS = Cross section (thickness)

79mm (ID) x 3.00mm (CS) N70 Price: $1.82 - THICKEST FOR SCUBA (will have larger gap)
3mm X 79mm Buna-N 70 Metric O-ring [N3.00X079] : O-Rings - The O-Ring Store, We make getting O-Rings easy!

80.6mm (ID) x 2.62mm (CS) N70 Price: $2.95 - THICKER FOR SCUBA/STRONG WAVES (will have gap)
2.62mm X 80.6mm Metric O-ring - Buna-N 70 [N2.62X080.6] : O-Rings - The O-Ring Store, We make getting O-Rings easy!

79mm (ID) x 2.50mm (CS) N70 Price: $1.50 - MEDIUM FOR SNORKEL/WAVES (will have gap)
2.5mm X 79mm Metric Buna-N 70 O-ring [N2.50X079] : O-Rings - The O-Ring Store, We make getting O-Rings easy!

80mm (ID) x 2.00mm (CS) N70 Price: $1.43 - NORMAL FOR WADING (case closes w/o gaps)
2mm X 80mm Metric Buna-N 70 O-ring [N2.00X080] : O-Rings - The O-Ring Store, We make getting O-Rings easy!

I Want to order the Orings.. But what is the size needed? Just going by the fact he ordered the ones said to be needed and it was 1 inch to long?

beachdude

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2012
Toronto & South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, White's Dual Field, CTX, M6
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If 1.5 Newtons/mm^2 is the maximum then the Acetoxy Silicone sealant I posted as a link above won't do. It has a tech sheet tensile strength of 300 psi, which is 2.07 N/mm^2 (which is more than 1.5)

The Afix 100E has a tensile strength of 0.7 N/mm^2 - which should allow removal of the USB plug without too much trouble. Probably better.
Amazon.com: Akfix 100E Clear 10.5 oz. Universal Silicone Sealant (Clear): Office Products

What about this stuff?

51a9radLQqL.jpg

Amazon.com: Permatex 19920 Plastic Threadlocker, 10 ml: Automotive

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I take no responsibility for any ones CTX. What I can tell you is I bought these and have used it at the beach without any problems orings 016.jpg

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tech Data Sheet on the Plastic Theadlocker says it has Shear Strength of 1200psi, which is equal to 8.27N/m2. That's 4x stronger bond than some other stuff I couldn't recommend. But who knows ... give it a try and let everyone know how it went. The data sheet says it has "low strength for ease of removal" and also says "sets in seconds to form a permanent transparent bond." A permanent bond that can easily be removed?

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes Jack a permanent that can easily removed:

=> it will break easily when a certain tork is applied. Loctite is the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread