Make a real waterproof CTX 3030 - scuba diving experience!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious wouldn't adding two of the RED orings from minelab work just as well?

Try it and let us know ....

I won't try... I even have refused to upgrade my CTX with the latest revision of Minelab with their green o ring...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious wouldn't adding two of the RED orings from minelab work just as well?
No, and you will end up snapping the side clamps for battery.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where else beside the o ring store do you find o rings. The o ring store does not have the o rings that are the best size. Is there another store that has the sizes mentioned in thread. Or is it not that important. Just be close?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can, be aware using non Minelab o-rings voids warranty..

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will only know if you were to send it back without a RED O-Ring. Always a loophole somewhere.

I love my big-fatty-blacky-O-Ring. Works well and have had zero leaks to date.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A word to the wise.....

DT2016

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Question for CTX GGA/GGU users. Does anyone use an O-Ring on the screw in M12 connector? Thanks

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can, be aware using non Minelab o-rings voids warranty..

DT2016

I really appreciate your concern. What is one to do? With minelab rings being suspect to leakage, I really am afraid to use their rings. I know they will stand behind their products. I hunt saltwater. Right now I will be saltwater beach hunting and dont plan going deep...yet. Salt leakage is not good. I got some of their new rings already. They look to be the same size as the red ones. Thanks for the help TH

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for CTX GGA/GGU users. Does anyone use an O-Ring on the screw in M12 connector? Thanks
I am wondering the same thing...as well as coil and power hookup.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate your concern. What is one to do? With minelab rings being suspect to leakage, I really am afraid to use their rings. I know they will stand behind their products. I hunt saltwater. Right now I will be saltwater beach hunting and dont plan going deep...yet. Salt leakage is not good. I got some of their new rings already. They look to be the same size as the red ones. Thanks for the help TH
Minelab released new o-rings, they are gray, they are not the same as the red ones. I know for a fact the black ones have leaked...

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering the same thing...as well as coil and power hookup.
There is o-ring inside the connector, but don't over tighten it. Some owners are using plyers to tighten and it destroys the o-ring, just finger tighten it....

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab released new o-rings, they are gray, they are not the same as the red ones. I know for a fact the black ones have leaked...
ive got the gray ones.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is o-ring inside the connector, but don't over tighten it. Some owners are using plyers to tighten and it destroys the o-ring, just finger tighten it....

plyers?...really? thats funny.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my "hand" plyers - I was washing my CTX when I first got it and got the red O-ring of death on, somehow just the pressure of the shower head leaked water inside. Luckily no damage and didn't get to the connecting prongs, bit did see the moisture when took the battery out.

I have had great luck with Rivieras Mod and suggest it to those who do want to go deeper (although it is a gamble...)

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive got the 2016 model. I would hope they tested the heck out of those grey o rings. I'm not sure I plan to really take my CTX in the water since I have other machines for that but I assume its fine for shallow water hunting. I look at it more like sand/moisture/salt proof while I am beach hunting and it can be hosed off when done without worry. I see guys out there with etracs and just wonder how they do it. I see sand everywhere when I am done some days even under my cover...you just cant keep it out.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive got the 2016 model. I would hope they tested the heck out of those grey o rings. I'm not sure I plan to really take my CTX in the water since I have other machines for that but I assume its fine for shallow water hunting. I look at it more like sand/moisture/salt proof while I am beach hunting and it can be hosed off when done without worry. I see guys out there with etracs and just wonder how they do it. I see sand everywhere when I am done some days even under my cover...you just cant keep it out.

Feel free to make a try for us ..... guys in the UK have replaced the stock o'ring by the MODed one on their MY2016 3030 ...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated minelab repair center has told me they received 3030s that have the black o-rings in them that leaked. They are not made to stretch and it also voided their warranties....

silverco111

Greenie
Dec 1, 2016
Detector(s) used
ctx3030,, at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WARNING ,,,,,,hi i just bought a ctx and i wanted to upgrade the o'rings ,,, i bought some of ebay,, eBay item number:272439709311 and i fitted them they were to big and was very tight to fit the rubber was hard and they let in water the small usb one did to ,, do not buy from this seller it will break your machian the stock o;rings are way better please pass this on to protect other ctx3030 users ,,i was lucky thanks

Last edited:

silverco111

Greenie
Dec 1, 2016
Detector(s) used
ctx3030,, at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the person i bought them of said they where from germany and he had used them for 5 years on his ctx ,, but the ctx only came out 4 years ago ,, they where hard and let in water he said he dived with them,,,, eBay australia sparky2au item number:272439709311 ,,he told me a load of lies just to sell them ,,,, i had a lucky escape the factory 2016 ones are now back on the ctx
people need to be warned of these o'rings it will cost them there ctx ;-(( please check this out and pass on ,,,,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions