Did some hunting with the Excalibur II using discrimination today

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What I mean is, discrimination on a setting other than 1. I was under this pavilion on one of our South Florida beaches, its up on columns, so its sort of like being under a pier. Place was trashy as could be. Got tired of all the signal craziness and digging bottle caps, so I put the Excal at about 3 o'clock which is about 14/15 or so on discrimination. It would hit on quarters and dimes and I dug a bunch and yet null on all the junk. I am sure I missed a lot of goodies, I need to go back and just clean that place out. Any place like that, with that much junk on the beach, is bound to have good finds, just lazy hunters don't want to clean it. I will probably go back with my AT Pro, and see if I can notch some of the bottle caps and pull tabs and give it a round 2 just to see what I come up with.

Anyways, I was impressed with the scrim on the Excal, normally I don't run anything but 1, but in this case in order to be productive I really had to.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love trashy spots, virgin territory, you just have to clean it out. GL :thumbsup:

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I had to put it at 14-15 to get rid of pull tabs and bottle caps, thats almost full discrimination! I have heard people hunting at 3, but I am not sure what that is suppose to eliminate as it would seem that bottle caps and pull tabs both still sound at 3.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah just trying it out really... I have not really noticed any real differ so far... I tried at different and full discrim for a whole day when I first got the x2 years ago... still found crap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What I have found while experimenting, is don't dig "partial nulls", just dig SOLID signals. The discrimination may make it so that on some junk you get that partial null effect, where it blips real quick and then nulls, don't dig those. If you try to set the scrim so that you get dead silent nulls then you may be over cranking it. So I just set scrim to where caps and tabs are no longer solid signals, and then I just dig those loud wailing solid signals.......that seems to work well. I am going to seek out more trashy areas. Hell I may even buy a portable sift and set it up and just start shoveling dirt into it.................

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be missing small gold and platinum rings with any discrimination.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeah I would imagine I am missing even more than that, probably tons of stuff. But if you have like 1 hour to kill, under a pier or other trashed out area, best to dig some of the good stuff. With my particular site, after I skim off some of the strong signals on scrim, I plan to dig the whole place up, but that could take days maybe even weeks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I would imagine I am missing even more than that, probably tons of stuff. But if you have like 1 hour to kill, under a pier or other trashed out area, best to dig some of the good stuff. With my particular site, after I skim off some of the strong signals on scrim, I plan to dig the whole place up, but that could take days maybe even weeks.
Gold and platinum are about the only things I want to find on the beach (unless a storm unveils some old coins). I don't care if I ever find another clad coin.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
cudamark, i agree with you on that! But not easy to scrim out clad on an Excal and just dig gold and platinum. Imagine if one day someone can invent a detector that can do a true signature of the metal its reading.......one day....

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
cudamark, i agree with you on that! But not easy to scrim out clad on an Excal and just dig gold and platinum. Imagine if one day someone can invent a detector that can do a true signature of the metal its reading.......one day....

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunatly, to find gold you need to dig this:

IMG_0636.JPG

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my point. If you turn up the discrimination, clad is the ONLY thing you'll find. What's the point of that? If you keep it at minimum, you at least have a chance at gold and platinum.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I find that when I set the scrim up to 3 it gives the bottle caps a bit of a scratchy edge to the sound that makes them easier to identify.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what do you lose in the process?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, don't use disc (never heard of scrim) no trash=no gold!
You descriminate your blocking out white gold and lower grade gold like 10-12 and some 14k..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread