Did some hunting with the Excalibur II using discrimination today
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Did some hunting with the Excalibur II using discrimination today

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
    407 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Did some hunting with the Excalibur II using discrimination today

What I mean is, discrimination on a setting other than 1. I was under this pavilion on one of our South Florida beaches, its up on columns, so its sort of like being under a pier. Place was trashy as could be. Got tired of all the signal craziness and digging bottle caps, so I put the Excal at about 3 o'clock which is about 14/15 or so on discrimination. It would hit on quarters and dimes and I dug a bunch and yet null on all the junk. I am sure I missed a lot of goodies, I need to go back and just clean that place out. Any place like that, with that much junk on the beach, is bound to have good finds, just lazy hunters don't want to clean it. I will probably go back with my AT Pro, and see if I can notch some of the bottle caps and pull tabs and give it a round 2 just to see what I come up with.

Anyways, I was impressed with the scrim on the Excal, normally I don't run anything but 1, but in this case in order to be productive I really had to.
    RustyGold likes this.
    Hardest working man on the beach

us
    Sultan of the Sand

Nov 2006
    Virginia
    Minelab SE/Excal
    263 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I love trashy spots, virgin territory, you just have to clean it out. GL

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    407 times
    I had to put it at 14-15 to get rid of pull tabs and bottle caps, thats almost full discrimination! I have heard people hunting at 3, but I am not sure what that is suppose to eliminate as it would seem that bottle caps and pull tabs both still sound at 3.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Espiritu Santo de Tampa - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    48351 times
    Yeah just trying it out really... I have not really noticed any real differ so far... I tried at different and full discrim for a whole day when I first got the x2 years ago... still found crap.
    Last edited by AARC; Jan 22, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    407 times
    What I have found while experimenting, is don't dig "partial nulls", just dig SOLID signals. The discrimination may make it so that on some junk you get that partial null effect, where it blips real quick and then nulls, don't dig those. If you try to set the scrim so that you get dead silent nulls then you may be over cranking it. So I just set scrim to where caps and tabs are no longer solid signals, and then I just dig those loud wailing solid signals.......that seems to work well. I am going to seek out more trashy areas. Hell I may even buy a portable sift and set it up and just start shoveling dirt into it.................
    AARC and RustyGold like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7311 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    You may be missing small gold and platinum rings with any discrimination.
    Sandman likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    407 times
    Yeah I would imagine I am missing even more than that, probably tons of stuff. But if you have like 1 hour to kill, under a pier or other trashed out area, best to dig some of the good stuff. With my particular site, after I skim off some of the strong signals on scrim, I plan to dig the whole place up, but that could take days maybe even weeks.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Espiritu Santo de Tampa - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    48351 times
    99.9 % of the time I am on 1
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7311 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal View Post
    Yeah I would imagine I am missing even more than that, probably tons of stuff. But if you have like 1 hour to kill, under a pier or other trashed out area, best to dig some of the good stuff. With my particular site, after I skim off some of the strong signals on scrim, I plan to dig the whole place up, but that could take days maybe even weeks.
    Gold and platinum are about the only things I want to find on the beach (unless a storm unveils some old coins). I don't care if I ever find another clad coin.

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    407 times
    cudamark, i agree with you on that! But not easy to scrim out clad on an Excal and just dig gold and platinum. Imagine if one day someone can invent a detector that can do a true signature of the metal its reading.......one day....

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    407 times
    cudamark, i agree with you on that! But not easy to scrim out clad on an Excal and just dig gold and platinum. Imagine if one day someone can invent a detector that can do a true signature of the metal its reading.......one day....

ch
    Froggy

Oct 2014
    Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
    CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
    1156 times
    Scuba detection, romans and grec relics, old & new gold
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Unfortunatly, to find gold you need to dig this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	1110723
    AARC likes this.

Scuba detection, relics and ++++ - Big fat Waterproof CTX 3030 Scuba from Minelab - Aquascan (Aquapulse) - DEUS - Minelab Excalibur II scuba diving - Follow me on Facebook | Google+ | Youtube

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    7311 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal View Post
    That's my point. If you turn up the discrimination, clad is the ONLY thing you'll find. What's the point of that? If you keep it at minimum, you at least have a chance at gold and platinum.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    7254 times
    I find that when I set the scrim up to 3 it gives the bottle caps a bit of a scratchy edge to the sound that makes them easier to identify.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    7311 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    But what do you lose in the process?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links