Greenie
Jan 24, 2015
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab SBC 2300, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

I plan on purchasing a 15" coiltek coil for my 705. I am trying to decide between the 7.5kHz and the 3kHz coil. I live in Central Florida and hunt primarily on land for old coins and small relics. The areas I hunt are moderately trashy with aluminum and iron. My ground balance numbers usually average between 29 and 60 at these locations.

I own a coiltek 6" 3khz digger coil which I am extremely satisfied with, however it doesn't always give me the best depth on coins. I also own a 9" 7.5 kHz concentrate coil and a 10.5" 7.5khz DD coil.

I recently purchased the 10.5" 7.5kHz DD from Amazon and have until January 31st to return it. I was considering returning it and applying the money toward the more expensive 15" coiltek coil.

1. Should I return the 10.5" 7.5kHz and replace it with the 15" coiltek, or purchase the 15" coiltek as an addition to my collection of coils? Given my budget, I would have to wait longer to purchase the 15" if I decided not to return the 10.5".

2. What frequency do you recommend for the 15" coiltek coil given the above mentioned criteria?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

I plan on purchasing a 15" coiltek coil for my 705. I am trying to decide between the 7.5kHz and the 3kHz coil. I live in Central Florida and hunt primarily on land for old coins and small relics. The areas I hunt are moderately trashy with aluminum and iron. My ground balance numbers usually average between 29 and 60 at these locations.

I own a coiltek 6" 3khz digger coil which I am extremely satisfied with, however it doesn't always give me the best depth on coins. I also own a 9" 7.5 kHz concentrate coil and a 10.5" 7.5khz DD coil.

I recently purchased the 10.5" 7.5kHz DD from Amazon and have until January 31st to return it. I was considering returning it and applying the money toward the more expensive 15" coiltek coil.

1. Should I return the 10.5" 7.5kHz and replace it with the 15" coiltek, or purchase the 15" coiltek as an addition to my collection of coils? Given my budget, I would have to wait longer to purchase the 15" if I decided not to return the 10.5".

2. What frequency do you recommend for the 15" coiltek coil given the above mentioned criteria?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

If you want coins get the lower frequency. Relics higher frequency. Coiltek coils are amazing BTW...

Coiltek Coils from BigBoysHobbies | BigBoysHobbies

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gator Gold

Greenie
Jan 24, 2015
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab SBC 2300, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with you about the excellence of Coiltek coils. Can I effectively hunt the beach with the 3khz?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with you about the excellence of Coiltek coils. Can I effectively hunt the beach with the 3khz?

I have never tried but I dont see why not. Be great for lost silver.

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run the 7.5khz 10x13 nel tornado and it goes really deep. I also have the 6" 3khz digger and it does really good in the trashy areas. I usually hit a new spot with the digger first then go back over it later with the tornado. I could see the WOT being too much in really trashy areas.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it might not be the best choice for small gold and platinum but it should go deep and be great on other high conductors.

Venner

Greenie
Jun 17, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, 6" DD 3khz 'Digger' coil, 5x8" DD 18.75khz coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think either would be great, but I got the 3khz WOT since I enjoy the Digger coil so much. I've been happy with it, although it takes some getting used to, especially balancing the extra weight so as not to tire out your arm. (Hint: Sweep closer to your feet.)

... and be great on other high conductors.

The 3khz WOT is definitely that. The thing that astonished me most is how friggin' many silver dimes I found (almost all on edge) in areas I had previously swept with the Digger. It hits on small silver like a hammer, something I didn't expect of a large-diameter coil. (Probably because it is a DD instead of a concentric.)

On the other hand, the 3Khz WOT doesn't generally even register the small lead split-shot that the Digger still finds, and which my 5x10 18khz coil veritably screams on. I imagine that would be similar to tiny gold. (Several of the areas I detect have seen a lot of fishing over the years, so I call it a 'feature' of the WOT, not a disadvantage.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread