Greenie
Jan 24, 2015
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab SBC 2300, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

I plan on purchasing a 15" coiltek coil for my 705. I am trying to decide between the 7.5kHz and the 3kHz coil. I live in Central Florida and hunt primarily on land for old coins and small relics. The areas I hunt are moderately trashy with aluminum and iron. My ground balance numbers usually average between 29 and 60 at these locations.

I own a coiltek 6" 3khz digger coil which I am extremely satisfied with, however it doesn't always give me the best depth on coins. I also own a 9" 7.5 kHz concentrate coil and a 10.5" 7.5khz DD coil.

I recently purchased the 10.5" 7.5kHz DD from Amazon and have until January 31st to return it. I was considering returning it and applying the money toward the more expensive 15" coiltek coil.

1. Should I return the 10.5" 7.5kHz and replace it with the 15" coiltek, or purchase the 15" coiltek as an addition to my collection of coils? Given my budget, I would have to wait longer to purchase the 15" if I decided not to return the 10.5".

2. What frequency do you recommend for the 15" coiltek coil given the above mentioned criteria?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's The Great One's!!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only reason to have the 15" Coiltek is just more ground coverage, I have noticed no difference in depth from the 10.5 coil and the 15". I have found that the 10.5 gets great depth,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange as I noticed a lot more depth with my coiltec WOT coils, I have 2 one on my excal and one for my sov gt....

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, but those are MF units.

That being said, I would stick with the 10.5" coil for the 705.

15" is a hell of a pizza, and the (theorical) depth increase will be imbalanced by the machine's efforts to balance out ground minerals correctly.

It would probably give some results in clean areas, but the 10.5 will be quite usable in most hunting conditions.

HH

Grumpy

OP
OP
G

Gator Gold

Greenie
Jan 24, 2015
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab SBC 2300, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and give me feedback.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, but those are MF units.

That being said, I would stick with the 10.5" coil for the 705.

15" is a hell of a pizza, and the (theorical) depth increase will be imbalanced by the machine's efforts to balance out ground minerals correctly.

It would probably give some results in clean areas, but the 10.5 will be quite usable in most hunting conditions.

HH

Grumpy

Grumpy, when you speak of the 10.5" which frequency are you referring to,and is it the DD?
I want another coil for my xterra 705 -I have the 7.5Khz concentric 9"
My thought is to get the 7,5Khz DD 10.5" for the advantage of greater coverage (both due to the DD and the slight increase in size)
I don't like to change coils frequently, so I want all purpose coils

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the 15" high frequency coil and I love it. I do recommend using a pinpointed with it as it does not pinpoint real well but depth will far outreach the 10.5 dd.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want another coil for my xterra 705 -I have the 7.5Khz concentric 9"
My thought is to get the 7,5Khz DD 10.5" for the advantage of greater coverage (both due to the DD and the slight increase in size)
I don't like to change coils frequently, so I want all purpose coils
The MF (7.5kHz) coils are the most 'honest' in terms of ID accuracy across the detection range, and are a great all around choice. However, I must say that the ability to tailor your machine to the task by changing coils is the best reason to get an X-Terra to begin with, so not changing is kind of defeating the purpose of owning one.

I have the 15" high frequency coil and I love it. I do recommend using a pinpointed with it as it does not pinpoint real well but depth will far outreach the 10.5 dd.
On this side of the pond that frequency is most often useful at the beach, or buy 'dig everything' relic hunters. I absolutely hate hunting inland with it. I have both the LF & HF 15" coils, and the LF practically lives on my 705.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the 15" LF coil when I had a Xterra 705 and really liked it but it was a beast to swing for very long. If you shorten the rod where it's closest to your feet then it's better but still heavy. I put a sling on mine and it was much better. It will go deep on coins. I could easily hit a 10" dime and 12" quarter with the 15. You can check out my video with the 15" 3khz

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only reason to have the 15" Coiltek is just more ground coverage, I have noticed no difference in depth from the 10.5 coil and the 15". I have found that the 10.5 gets great depth,

Have been thinking about the 15" because they cover more ground. Lots of old farmsteads in the prarie states with lots of acreage. Never find much except artifacts. So many remote and interesting places to hunt. Actually what I really need is a Camper. Yeah I like that better.
BB

MARCVS

Sep 27, 2008
Europe
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White`s Eagle Spectrum II,White`s DFX,Minelab X-Terra 705,Minelab GPX 4500,White`s MX Sport,Minelab E-Trac,Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep,same depth Coiltek 15 7.5 kHz and 10 " DD 7.5 kHz on coins.Me and my friend did some test few days ago.
Better ground coverage,but 10 ' is not that heavy
But could be a difference for detecting larger objects,and soon we will test that 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread