Question for Minelab users

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..... Fisher F2 ( HF Detector(planning on modding it)
AT PRO and 2 Tesoro Compadres...
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a SE pro over an etrac (which is 1500 and change), so IMHO your getting a better machine for close to 600 less. Since it is new in the box the warranty is still honored by Minelab by the way. I just bought another one just like this 950.00 new in the box, so price is valid. I was concerned about the warranty since it is an out of production model but Minelab assured me the warranty is valid, and started on the day I purchased it.

I watched ebay, most were going 700+ so I figured new in the box with full warranty 950, and went for it. Now I have a brand new one and a used one, and not letting go of either, although I am planning to grab another one if I happen across another new in box one. That's just how much faith and trust I have in them.

If you do get it, scroll down to my posting "secret to Se and SE pro depth" it does work, not claiming to be an expert but I know the se's and pro's, anything I can help u with just pm me, be glad to assist you if I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know when they stopped making the SE PRO?2005 or 6?

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the budget why not just buy a 3030 used for 1600 or so?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know when they stopped making the SE PRO?2005 or 6?

Several years ago, not sure on date. I would really think about it unless you got a super deal for the simple fact Minelab wont have electronic parts for them much longer. Grab a used E-Trac if your trying to save $.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, sometimes you can get a nice used E-trac with several coils and other options for less than the $950 you would spend on a stock Explorer SE.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to insult anyone here, but I don't feel the parts reference is valid. Minelab can still repair the early explorer II models and their what 15-almost 20 years old now.

I do agree though, that since the etrac is the newest explorer model it still has some life and service plus added user support, (meaning forum users posting many hundreds of user programs for it), versus the Se Pro.

So if the chance came up to be able to get an etrac for around the same price $950.00, perhaps that might be his best bet.

I am biased, yep freely admit it, I love the Se's and the Pro's much more then the etrac's, so I do not wish my bias to over shadow his decision.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The E-Trac is NOT an explorer or part of the Explorer series.

OP
OP
S

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought the Etrac...but have a problem.The lower carbon shaft it too short..Willing to trade with someone that needs a shorter shaft or buy outright..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they just stopped making the SE pro Shortly after the 3030 appeared.
Maybe 3 - 4 years ago ?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As always, an interesting thread! I enjoy reading "The Sleeper's posts on the Explorer series.

Last edited:

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The E-Trac is NOT an explorer or part of the Explorer series.

Geezzz Jason, it looks like an explorer, smells like an explorer, hum must be an explorer.
The only thing that is different between an etrac and the explorer line is the internal pc board and programming, so to say its not part of the explorer line is like stating the SE or the Pro aren't, because of the early series models the explorer and explorer II. Seems to me even the advertising from minelab touted the etrac as the latest evolution to the explorer lineup, when they first came out.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought the Etrac...but have a problem.The lower carbon shaft it too short..Willing to trade with someone that needs a shorter shaft or buy outright..

Hey Shen, check out Big boy hobbies, Fort Bedford, or Vance's down in the supporting venders section, one of them might have a used Tall man shaft you can get a deal on.

You can also post an ad in Marketplace>>charter member classifieds>>>treasure related stuff wanted

Some member might have one they want to sell.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geezzz Jason, it looks like an explorer, smells like an explorer, hum must be an explorer.
The only thing that is different between an etrac and the explorer line is the internal pc board and programming, so to say its not part of the explorer line is like stating the SE or the Pro aren't, because of the early series models the explorer and explorer II. Seems to me even the advertising from minelab touted the etrac as the latest evolution to the explorer lineup, when they first came out.

Hahaha, that's like saying just because a car LOOKS like a Ferrari then it must be a Ferrari, even though the engine and drivetrain are from a yugo.

The EEs who created the E-Trac are the ones who say it's NOT and explorer, not me. It is based off the quattro, not the explorer.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha, that's like saying just because a car LOOKS like a Ferrari then it must be a Ferrari, even though the engine and drivetrain are from a yugo.

The EEs who created the E-Trac are the ones who say it's NOT and explorer, not me. It is based off the quattro, not the explorer.

That's cool Jason, I would have to disagree with the EE's then.

Seems like the Quattro came out as a spinoff from the explorer 11 if I'm not mistaken, (wasn't the Quattro supposed to be at the time a cross over nugget hunter/ relic hunter, back then all they had out were the SD series so the Quattro was supposed to be lower priced than the SD series)either right before the SE or right after it, as a lower cost version of the explorer line. So if they based the etrac off the Quattro, which was based off the explorer line, hum well to me, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, welllll recken its a duck.

I mean the coils are inter changeable, the housings are identical, shafts both upper and lower, batteries etc. Only thing different is the pc board and programming. Plus a lot of places group the entire range of Explorer, Se and Pro, Quattro and etrac in the same heading for things like coils, accessories, etc.

Ahh what do I know, I'm just an old fart, but that's just my opinion and we all know what they are, clothes pin anyone?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread