Waterproofing Minelab coils help?.....

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear a lot of people complaining about "all minelab coils not being waterproof", but very little on "how to waterproof one"? I would think sealing between where the bottom and sides meet, with marine grade silicone, would suffice? Not sure about where the coil meets the cable on top? Seems like you could squeeze some down inside of the strain relief? Would that not waterproof the coil, or am I missing something here, I don't know about? Thanks.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which coils do you have? Just about all of the non-gold machines have waterproof coils from the factory. Most of the aftermarket coils are waterproof too. I don't know if I'd trust trying to waterproof a coil that wasn't made that way to begin with. If I had to do it for some reason, I think I'd either use the liquid bed liner stuff or some tool handle dip, depending on whether I ever wanted to be able to remove it!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto on what cuda said. Personally if I wanted a waterproof coil I would purchase one if I didn't already have one.
To me trying to waterproof a non waterproof coil is risky, if it shorts out due to water intrusion it could damage the machine, hence a coil is cheaper in the long run.

OP
OP
Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah and I agree, but when they don't make any (except the 15 incher!) for all 3 of my 4 "Minelab Gold Detectors", the XT18000, the Klondike and the American Gold Striker, they have either the 9X6 (5?) coils, or the 1000 coil, which, I am told, are not waterproof? So, what else am I suppose to do? I know, don't get it wet, right?.....Dirty trick by Minelab, to make a non waterproof coil, on a gold detector. Bunch of crap!
I guess the only one with waterproof coils, of the 4 is the 705? Wait, forgot one, I also have a Eureka Gold, think that one is also not waterproof, the 9X6/5 coil? Some of these might use the 1000 coil, but think that one, might also not be waterproof?. Hell, how do you tell, since no one has a list of waterproof/non-waterproof Minelab coils? The only waterproof coil(s) I own (for minelabs!) is the 15 inch for the Eureka (Think that coil maybe also fits the XT18000 and the Klondike) And possibly both the 705 coils (10 inch concentric, 10X6 DD) Hopefully, I can rely on them being waterproof!.....
Minelab needs to come out with some better coil choices (and waterproof!) and not the $200.00-$250.00 variety, like the aftermarket coil manufacturers are making?.....

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you need to trade them all in and get the new GPZ7000! What do you think of that idea? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha,ha, yeah, they might all make a downpayment on that GPZ7000, but they sure won't make much of a dent in paying it off? I will have to check that unit out, so thanks for at least giving me somewhere to go!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Red, if anyone would know I would suggest Doc. Perhaps giving coiltek a email or what not might come up with a solution for you.

sfox54

Jan 5, 2014
erie pa
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the 10.5 double dd coils from minelab for the xterras are NOT waterproof the stock concentric is. this is the only minelab i know about though

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well BigRed,
I got a GPX7000 to play with, maybe you want to invite me up there sometime? I will be in Trinity county Cali and El Dorado detecting for the next 2 months. Maybe sometime towards the end of summer I can head up there :laughing7:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hell, how do you tell, since no one has a list of waterproof/non-waterproof Minelab coils?

Minelab is really accessible! You can call Minelab and talk to a tech and they'll tell you which Coils are waterproof.
Best of Luck!

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been calling all morning. Do you have a special number? Been dealing with a broke 705 for 3 months.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
630-401-8159

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
i have to test the GPZ 7000 underwater and see at which depth I'll loose $10K ! (this price is outstanding for this product, they make a mark up of $9500 at least on it).

Concerning the coil, more then water it is dust, sand and salt which is the issue. From my experience, when you have a leak on a coil: it is dead. The waterproof coils from Minelab are :

Sovereign / excalibur range, and CTX coils. If I was you I will take a look to the Coilteck coil range, most of them are waterproof in VLF.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
You always need a Waterproof coil... in case you need to detect in remote locations...

698621CTXreadydive1.jpg

717227CTXreadydive2.jpg

OP
OP
Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would enjoy that, but my plans for the summer are kinda made, like yours are? Keep you in mind though, if they fall through? Thanks and wow, that's a lot of coin you spent, hope it is worth it and you find huge one pound nuggets with it! Let us all know how it does on the tests you will put it through this summer? Really interested in that, thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread