Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Bazooka Gold Trap 36" Sniper
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My father-in-law just inherited a Minelab Explorer from an old friend of his.

Unfortunately, he wants to keep it, even though he will never actually use it.

The questions I have are:

I have a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, and was wandering if it would be worth it to try and trade him my BH, and some cash, for his Explorer?

What would be the benefits of trading for it?

How much should I offer him, so that he doesn't get "ripped off" by me, and I still make myself a good deal?

Any insight as to weather or not I should trade, and what benefits I would get from upgrading, would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

Could you tell us the model of the Explorer (S, XS, II, SE, SE pro) and its condition? I believe you will do well if you can obtain the Explorer.

Regards,

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello,

Could you tell us the model of the Explorer (S, XS, II, SE, SE pro) and its condition? I believe you will do well if you can obtain the Explorer.

Regards,

Hello,
It is an Explorer XS.

Looks to be in good condition (only minor scuffs on the plastic, no broken parts, and the coil looks almost brand new).

Only problem with it that I can see is the battery refuses to take a charge.

Oh, and after he figured out that the battery was bad, and the cost of a new rechargable, he is seriously thinking about a trade with me!

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That old Minelab is ten times the machine your BH is. You can also get battery packs for the explorer that take regular AAs, so you don't have to go for the rechargeable. If you do get it and want to go rechargeable I recommend getting the RNB battery and charger, it lasts several times longer than the Minelab stock battery pack.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought is that the detector has sentimental value because of the friendship. Placing dollar value into that kind of situation might be a bad move. Keep your BH and the friendship of your relative.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My thought is that the detector has sentimental value because of the friendship. Placing dollar value into that kind of situation might be a bad move. Keep your BH and the friendship of your relative.
I guess I should elaborate.
The man he got it from was not his friend. The man's aunt is. He got it from her as partial payment for cleaning the man's appt out after he passed. (It was pretty bad, he was a shut in, some call them hoarders).

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I should elaborate.
The man he got it from was not his friend. The man's aunt is. He got it from her as partial payment for cleaning the man's appt out after he passed. (It was pretty bad, he was a shut in, some call them hoarders).

I'm a little confused...was it His machine or Hers?

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a little confused...was it His machine or Hers?
It was his detector. when he died, he left everything to his aunt. She had my father in law clean up his apartment, and gave him the detector and some other stuff as partial payment for his work.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It was his detector. when he died, he left everything to his aunt. She had my father in law clean up his apartment, and gave him the detector and some other stuff as partial payment for his work.

Well...iffin He was a hoarder..somebody found some good stuff. Be a good thing if you could get that machine,I'm sure you guys will work something out.

Ky Ed

Jan 15, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab
That old Minelab is ten times the machine your BH is. You can also get battery packs for the explorer that take regular AAs, so you don't have to go for the rechargeable. If you do get it and want to go rechargeable I recommend getting the RNB battery and charger, it lasts several times longer than the Minelab stock battery pack.

You can get the old rechargeable battery pack rebuilt by batteries + Very reasonable

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread